The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 22, 2013, 05:57 AM   #26
Hawg

Quote:
Wap41, certainly you meant steel framed not brass
They make a brass grip frame for the ROA/Blackhawks. That's probably what he meant.

Bill, that Remington looks much better than any Ruger could ever hope for.

(Sorry, got to get my Ruger digs in)
Old July 22, 2013, 08:34 AM   #27
rclark

Quote:
find a 5 1/2 fixed sight SS for a decent price. And that will not be easy......
Mine cost me $800 ....
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old July 22, 2013, 09:05 AM   #28
kwhi43

Mine cost me new in 1971 125.00

Old July 22, 2013, 10:04 AM   #29
wap41

North East Redneck

Yes as hawg said I meant brass grip frame,the grips are longer and fit my hand better.Also I really like the flat top front sight models but they are really tought to find,they made less than 800 of them in the first year of production.A 5.5" adjustable sight like phil's photo is one I like to find in S.S.
Old July 22, 2013, 10:44 AM   #30
Dstarver

The ROA was in bad shape lots of pitting but still fires well. Not the prettiest thing in the stable. But the price was right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg after4.jpg (274.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg after2.jpg (240.9 KB, 42 views)
Old July 22, 2013, 10:57 AM   #31
kwhi43

You won't find one like mine. It has a 45-70 barrel on it.
Old July 22, 2013, 11:17 AM   #32
rclark

Quote:
Mine cost me new in 1971 125.00
How times change. Note, yours has adjustable sights.... I didn't think they had SS guns that early. Live and learn.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old July 22, 2013, 11:25 AM   #33
wap41

Phil what a meant is a 5.5" high polish S.S.faux ivory grips with adjustable sights.By the way I finally got a chance to shoot your 36 cal.Only fired one cylinder full but so far looking real good.Hoping to get some time free real soon to put some serious powder thru it.
Old July 22, 2013, 11:50 AM   #34
kwhi43

Mine is not SS. The blueing has worn off after all these years.
Old July 22, 2013, 11:55 AM   #35
Pahoo

SS will rust !!

Dstarver
Certainly not to be picking on you but want to thank you for posting these pictures on how Ruger SS can and will rust. This also happened to a friend of mine, on his Ruger S-6. As he said, it just snuck up on me. .....

Oil and;
Be Safe !!!
Old July 22, 2013, 12:00 PM   #36
rclark

Quote:
Mine is not SS. The blueing has worn off after all these years.
Gottcha! That's cool. Makes more since! Pre-production? I see Ruger started manufacturing them in 1972 from the product history anyway .

Last edited by rclark; July 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old July 22, 2013, 12:26 PM   #37
kwhi43

I do believe it was 1972 when I bought it. I forget. I do remember they had
Just came out. I was shooting lots of competition at the time and I was not
Happy with the 2-3 inch groups at 25 yds. I wanted them in one hole. I put a
45-70 barrel with a 1 in 22 twist and reamed the chambers to .465. Used a
.465 ball from a Lee mold. Finally got a load that would put them in one hole
At 25 yds. It was 40 grs of Hodgdon FFF black powder. This was made by
Curtis & Harvey from Scotland . Still have several pounds. I was young back
Then and could handle it. Still hold the record at our local club of a 99 shot
at 35 yds. We were the only club in the country with a 35 yd range. I can't
Shoot the old gun anymore, can't hold it out. Getting too old.
Old July 22, 2013, 08:04 PM   #38
Dstarver

ROA SS Rusting

The Ruger was like that when I bought it. I don't know why it was pitted as bad as it was. I sometimes think it may have been part of Katrina damage since I picked it up in Slidel Louisiana. I cam with a leather Holster calvary type with Ruger stamped on it. Maybe some on shoot it and just stuck it back in the holster an several years went by. But it was a mess I cleaned it and oiled it down well. All the insides looked fine after they were cleaned. I will say this the Gun has a lot of history i wish i knew.
Old July 25, 2013, 02:02 PM   #39
Erno86

Ruger says, you can dry fire the Old Army without damaging it...but I suggest not dry firing it --- a least not the stainless steel ones. If you do...make sure you wear eye protection. I've cracked and broken off the near top thumb cocking tips of two Old Army stainless steel hammer's, while dry firing. They come flying off rearward at quite a speed, that it could take someone's eye out.

If you take a look at the inside cracked part of the hammer...you can tell that Ruger used some kind of inferior soft steel for the hammer. Ruger discounted my claim of inferior soft steel.

About a year later from my complaint...Ruger discontinued manufacture of the pistol.

My ROA likes 17 grains of Triple 7, triple F powder {water cleanup}, .457 round ball, Cream of Wheat filler, and a mixture of: 1/3 beeswax/2/3 Butter Crisco for the chamber sealer.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; July 25, 2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old July 25, 2013, 03:31 PM   #40
rclark

Quote:
My ROA likes 17 grains of Triple 7,
That is quite a light load! I load 40g of T-7 (FF or FFF) in mine.
Old July 26, 2013, 02:15 PM   #41
Erno86

It's my most accurate load, at around the 25/50 yard range. I also use spent 38 Special shell casings, in order to pour the powder and Cream of Wheat into the cylinder's; along with the use of a lobster fork that makes it easier to pry out stuck caps.

--- George Orwell
Old August 8, 2013, 04:44 AM   #42
Bill Akins

I've got a possible chance to get a ROA in highly polished stainless, FIXED SIGHTED VERSION, for about $500.00

I thought that was a good deal. What do you fellas think?

Also there is no writing on the sides of the barrel. It is all on the top. I recall that someone in some thread here knew that indicated a certain year/years production run. Can anyone remember what time period the SS ones with the writing on the top of the barrel were made?

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old August 8, 2013, 06:04 AM   #43
Doc Hoy

Bill, I'd say for that model

500.00 is not a bad price.
Old August 8, 2013, 10:38 AM   #44
4V50 Gary
Staff

[email protected] - time to reblue that Ruger.
Old August 8, 2013, 05:07 PM   #45
swathdiver

The legaleze writing appeared on all ROA barrels in late '77 through '78 and on.
Old August 8, 2013, 10:17 PM   #46
Bill Akins

But this one only has the warnings on TOP of the barrel rather than on the sides of the barrel. What era were the ones that had it on top of the barrel made?

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old August 9, 2013, 02:44 PM   #47
swathdiver

All the ones I've seen have writing on top of the barrel whether before the warning or after, including the bicentennial guns.
Old August 9, 2013, 10:17 PM   #48
Bill Akins

Did some of the ROA's have writing on the sides of the barrel? Or am I mistaken in thinking they did?

Old August 11, 2013, 06:50 PM   #49
mykeal

This is the top of the barrel on my 1976 SS 7 1/2" ROA:

and this is the left side of the barrel on the same gun:

This is the top of the barrel on my 1998 SS 7 1/2" ROA (there is nothing on the sides of the barrel):
Old November 21, 2013, 02:39 PM   #50
leeonious

AMAZIN what folks would trade at 4am in the 70's

I'm 56. Pardon me I am laughing HYSTERICALLY. I am a child of the 60,,,if you are offended by this, welllllll,,,,we all was young once.

I had no idea what the heck I had just been offfered. But man was it one HUGE Pistol in a beautiful Hunter holster. It came with a bag of cool stuff. The price was dirt cheap. I was 20y/o It was 4am and Saturday Nite live had long since been over. I traded 1/4gram of ENTERTAINMENT POWDER or $20 for mine.

Oh about 45 minutes later a .50 LYMAN Plains rifle & similar possibilities bag was mine for the same price. I would not take $5k for either.

Point is my youthful indescretions have provided a lifetime of having a BLAST!

Thanks fer having me. Yes I have grown up ,,,,A LITTLE