The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 15, 2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Dstarver

Ruger Old Army

Just picked a old army Ruger are they any good??
Old July 15, 2013, 07:18 PM   #2
North East Redneck

Are they any good? Hell yes they are. They are strong, accurate and worth a decent amount of money. Personally I like the way they look also.
They are however not a replica of any historical weapon. To me this matters none. To some people it means they will not own one.
Also- you will want to use .457 balls and mine likes treso nipples with #10 Rem caps.

Last edited by North East Redneck; July 15, 2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old July 15, 2013, 07:20 PM   #3
mykeal

Uh, yes.

Ruger Old Army is the best cap and ball revolver you can buy for less than $1000. They are no longer being made and good condition articles can command premium prices. They are not a replica of any historical gun, but rather are a modern revolver that uses percussion cap ignition.
Old July 15, 2013, 07:42 PM   #4
wap41

The quality and accuracy are great just be careful they are addicting.I bought one just for kicks now I have twenty.
Old July 15, 2013, 08:15 PM   #5
BirchOrr

Eehhhh...

... heck yeah, they are a great shooter!

Post some pics, I'd like too see it.

Congrats, and welcome!

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old July 15, 2013, 08:18 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Are they any good? They are THE BEST there is in cap 'n ball revolvers.
Old July 15, 2013, 09:07 PM   #7
North East Redneck

Wap41, you have 20? Wow. Which variation is your favorite?
Old July 15, 2013, 09:17 PM   #8
roashooter

there are no better made bp pistols ......one of the four I have I bought in 1974....still looks and shoots like a new gun....
Old July 15, 2013, 10:36 PM   #9
wap41

North East redneck

I have two variations I really like.The brass frame and the high polish stainless with the faux ivory grips.But there isn't any of them I don't like.
Old July 16, 2013, 03:54 AM   #10
Bill Akins

Dstarver, as already mentioned, that's the best black powder revolver there is (though non historical). Did you get one in stainless? Luv to see some pics.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old July 18, 2013, 07:49 AM   #11
bedbugbilly

It would be nice if Ruger started producing these again . . . but I'd hate to see what the MSRP would be!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 18, 2013, 11:11 AM   #12
woodnbow

Weak, unreliable,

notoriously inaccurate, send it to me before it disappoints you further and I'll wave my customary disposal fee...
Old July 18, 2013, 11:16 AM   #13
Fingers McGee

Don't listen to these guys Dstarver. They've been coopted by the bright blue or stainless finish and inherent accuracy of the ROA and are merely spouting the party line. I picked up two blue fixed sight 5.5 inch barreled models to show that I could resist the allure and steadfastly maintain that they are only for investment purposes.

Now........... where is that tongue in cheek smiley?
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 18, 2013, 11:26 AM   #14
eastbank

i like my three pre-perfix SS ROA,s and shoot them. eastbank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1399.jpg (262.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 1398.jpg (259.2 KB, 43 views)
Old July 18, 2013, 03:32 PM   #15
Wyosmith

The Ruger Old Army is the best cap and ball revolver made, now or ever.
Old July 19, 2013, 11:22 AM   #16
rclark

Quote:
The Ruger Old Army is the best cap and ball revolver made, now or ever.
+1 .

I haven't shot my 5 1/2" SS fixed sight one yet as I bought it recently as NIB (I was getting info on it whether it is a true collectable or not --low serial #161 ... So far it appears ... not) .... But my other blued 7 1/2" adjustable sighted revolver gets used!

A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; July 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old July 19, 2013, 03:58 PM   #17
Doc Hoy

Just when you thought it was all over.....

...I am going to pile on too.

ROA is a real shooting tool.
Old July 20, 2013, 10:32 AM   #18
Pahoo

Lucky to own one !!!

Quote:
I was getting info on it whether it is a true collectable or not --low serial #161 ... So far it appears ... not)
Not sure what you mean by "True" but by my measure, at this time, it is. Two years ago, I passed on one just like yours at $475.00. Been kicking myself in the rear, ever since. ......

Even if Ruger decides to start making these again, the new price will be so high, that yours, will still be a collectable.. ......

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!
Old July 20, 2013, 05:56 PM   #19
rclark

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "True" but by my measure, at this time, it is
When it was sold to me, I was told it was an 'executive' gun (owned/allocated to someone at Ruger) but the guy never did get the papers.... Anyway, I sent in a request for more information at Ruger and they would not tell anything other than manufacture date (which I knew anyway) in the returned letter. I did get more info over on the Ruger forums about how only 12,600 fixed sight revolvers were produced and the Fixed Sight SS 5 1/2" is the rarest of the four combinations (7 1/2" blued, 7 /12" SS, 5 1/2" Blued, 5 1/2" SS) among those 12,600. So yes it is rare ... but not a 'don't shoot it' gun ... in my mind.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old July 20, 2013, 06:52 PM   #20
Jbar4Ranch

I can't believe I'm in 2nd place!

I've also picked up a pair of 7 1/2" fixed sight blued models since this picture.

SASS 47015
Old July 20, 2013, 07:00 PM   #21
Pahoo

Collectable and investment !!

Quote:
but not a 'don't shoot it' gun ... in my mind.
Every dog deserves one good bight and I have shot many a-safe queen; At least once. Of all the ones I have seen, The 5-1/2" Pinched sight would be the most desirable. That is exactly the one I "foolishly" passed on. ....

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!
Old July 20, 2013, 08:19 PM   #22
rclark

Yeah, I don't have 'any' safe queens at this point (except this one hasn't been shot yet). I believe most all guns should be shot as that is what they were designed for. However, in this case, my wife let me buy this one thinking of it as an investment as I already have a blued 7 1/2" sighted Old Army as my shooter.

Quite a nice collection some of you guys have !
Old July 21, 2013, 05:37 AM   #23
Bill Akins

That fixed sighted Ruger that RClark posted, is a thing of beauty. I've been wanting one of those for awhile. I looked into them a while back and they were over $650.00 then. Not sure what they go for most currently.

I was weighing that stainless Ruger against the fixed sighted Remy in stainless.

Remy has leaf springs throughout. Ruger has less prone to breakage coil springs.

Remy is all Remy design. Ruger uses a Colt style grip frame and trigger guard, as well as a Whitney/Spiller & Burr/Rogers & Spencer style loading lever, Ruger has better cut outs around the nipples ala Rogers & Spencer, than the Remy has. Instead of flats on barrel, Ruger uses round barrel like an 1873 Colt. And of course it's obvious that the Ruger uses largely the overall Remy main receiver design, but with a gentle slope to the receiver to barrel area instead of the scooped out step down that the Remy uses. Still, very similar.

Ruger took all the good points of various percussion revolver designs and incorporated them into one revolver. No doubt it is the very best black powder revolver ever made. Non historical of course (for those whom that matters to).

It isn't the same thing of course, but my (no play at all fluted conversion cylinder) Uberti Remington is a close second and was probably 2/3rd's cheaper. And it ain't bad. For those wanting something as close as they can get to that fixed sighted, 5 & 1/2 inch barrel Ruger, but for less expense, this has to be it.

Easy to compare them in one picture together.

But if I ever find one of those stainless fixed sighted 5&1/2 inch barrel Rugers at a good price I'd jump on it for sure. Not only is it the best black powder revolver ever built, that particular model of RClark's, is in my opinion one of the most beautiful ever made too.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; July 21, 2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old July 21, 2013, 07:19 PM   #24
MattShlock

Good, yes. LOL

My stainless, outta the box first time at range...

One hole with five rounds at 15 yards. You could not KNOCK the smile off my surprised face!
Old July 21, 2013, 07:27 PM   #25
North East Redneck

Wap41, certainly you meant steel framed not brass
, I have a SS adjustable sight, like it, it has faux bone grips. Need to find a set of wood grips for it. But I really want to find a 5 1/2 fixed sight SS for a decent price. And that will not be easy......