The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 25, 2011, 04:52 PM   #1
24texas

Handgun holster question

My ccw is a 5 shot revolver carried in a right hand leather SOB holster at about the 5:00 position. I considered changing to a left hand holster to use in the same postion as it seems that would put the grip closer to my right hand and a palm out position when drawing the weapon. After looking at several holster mfg's it seems most do not recommend a grip down position and consider it an unsafe position to carry. Any thoughts on why? Does anyone carry a ccw in a left hand holster SOB and draw with their right hand?
Old July 25, 2011, 06:11 PM   #2
napg19

I tried this with a glock 19 but kept the grip straight up in a IWB holster from Elite survival. A very simple cordura holster. You could switch the belt clip to either side of holster. The ability to draw with palm out in sob position was amazingly smooth and fast. I just put my J frame in my nylon IWB holster with grip up in SOB and found it easier to draw than grip down. Tried my SP101 also. I think a better holster than these nylon one's would hold the gun more stable in SOB. Hope this helps.
Old July 25, 2011, 08:02 PM   #3
24texas

Thanks for the tip. I looked at the Elite website and for the price may try one out. Also like the idea of a IWB holster with a reversable belt clip.
Old July 26, 2011, 12:57 AM   #4
Ringolevio

An old NYPD trick

"Back in the day", quite a few NYPD detectives and plainclothes or anti-crime cops would carry a revolver strong-side at 8 or 4 o'clock but in a holster made for the opposite hand, butt-forward for a palm-out draw. This was particularly popular with southpaws who had trouble finding a left-handed holster.

Uncle Mike's makes a nice reversible/ambidextrous foam-lined nylon holster that goes on the belt OWB, pulls in snug, and will hold a revolver for this kind of draw.

You need a holster with a neutral or muzzle-forward cant.

Carry-wise it's good for concealment, but a palm-out draw of this type can be pretty risky; it's much better for a surreptitious draw than for a quick one. I'd use it with a DA revolver and a lot of practice; with a cocked & locked semi-auto it's asking for trouble.

You might have even seen a couple of guys on Barney Miller carrying in this manner.
Old July 26, 2011, 03:18 AM   #5
Sixer

I'm not a big fan of SOB carry... but I will carry my Glock 23 in a LH IWB holster (about 5 o'clock on my right hip) every once in a while.

Still, I have yet to find anything that compares to a good strong side holster, with a slight forward cant, carried around 3:30 - 4 o'clock.... But holsters are not a "one size fits all" kinda thing.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old July 26, 2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Don P

Just a thought as to how uncomfy is it to carry SOB when sitting? I have never tried it.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 26, 2011, 12:15 PM   #7
Jeff OTMG

You think that sitting is uncomfortable, try slipping on ice and landing on your back.
Old July 26, 2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Ronbert

I like the butt-forward carry strong side because when sitting down the gun butt doesn't cause trouble as you bend at the waist.

There still seems to be a bit of a shortage of lefty holsters though (I'm a righty wanting a lefty holster to achieve the butt-forward carry)