The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 25, 2010, 12:42 PM   #1
spacecoast

Shot my first NRA 900 pistol match this morning

Our local R&P club has an open-to-the-public Saturday morning match so I went this morning and had a great time. I knew everyone would be using .22s, but I feel most confident with my 6" 686-4 and used that instead. My score was 644, the other guys said that was pretty good for a first try (and using the revolver). I shot all the slow fire in single action, but the timed fire and rapid fire was double action (except for the first shot).

It's quite a challenge to hit those targets one-handed at 50 yards, even if it is slow fire.

I think I'll use my Ruger Mark II Target with the 5.5" bull barrel next time and see if that raises my score any. I think it's a bit lighter than the .357 and is no doubt easier to keep on target for rapid fire.

Last edited by spacecoast; September 26, 2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old September 25, 2010, 07:05 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

Congrads on your fine showing.That first match is usually the hardest. Getting to see what other shooters are using and talking to them about technique is half the fun of the match.

David
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old September 25, 2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Good shooting is right, I don't think I got over 450 my first match and I was top new shooter, shows how green we all were, plus I was using a match 45. Of course it don't help to shoot 5 rounds on the wrong target or to shoot the leg out from under your target and watch it fall sideways. I would say with your start you'll move up the ranks pretty quick if you shoot often. Shooting a revolver won't hurt you much either. One of the best Master class shooters I ever saw was the retired Chief of police of Albuquerque New Mexico with a Colt SAA. First time I ever saw rapid fire done with a single action. 38 years later and I can still barely do it and I don't shoot anywhere near Master class when using a revolver. Me thinks you will.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 2, 2010, 02:24 PM   #4
spacecoast

Went back for another round this morning... this time I used my Ruger MKII/512 (.22LR) and improved my score to 698. I was much more consistent, my low round score improved from 48 to 66 and I improved in 7 of the 9 rounds. I attribute some of this to the use of the .22 vs. .38 special last time. I have some Hogue grips on order for the Ruger, and will upgrade my ammo from the cheap Federal value pack stuff to better quality .22 target ammo, so I'm hoping to crack well into the 700s on my next try. The stock grips on the Ruger became quite slick later in the match.
Old October 2, 2010, 05:25 PM   #5
10-96

Quote:
The stock grips on the Ruger became quite slick later in the match.
Until your new grips come in, here's a hint: swing by your local pharmacy and ask for a roll of Coban Tape. That's that spongy tan tape stuff that has no stickum or goo. I haven't read anywhere in the NRA Rules where it says the stuff is unauthorized. I rolled up a bit of it and flattened it out (for some palm swell) and then made two wraps around the butt on my Buck Mark. Helps a ton with the sweaties.

Edit: Just noticed where you said you were going to drop your Federal bulk ammo. Don't ditch it just yet. Buy a 50rnd box of several different kinds and see what your Ruger prefers the best- it might not be the expensive stuff! For obvious reasons, I wouldn't use Remington, but your best performer could be anything. Price does not seem to be a deciding factor at all. And it could frustrate you right out of the sport if you find yourself spending big bucks on ammo and never getting past 180 on a 300 score string of fire. Clean your bbl between each test batch of ammo and allow at least 15 fouling shots before testing accuracy. BUT- don't clean your bbl between matches unless you can have time to put in 15 fouling shots before the scoring starts. That's not hard facts, just something I've picked up in the short time I've been doing the Bullseye thing.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.

Last edited by 10-96; October 2, 2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old October 2, 2010, 06:21 PM   #6
4EVERM-14

spacecoast. Nice improvements. I'm sure you're picking up some good advice from the other shooters. A tip I got years ago was to have a coach. Not some expensive paid professional but a shooter friend or associate that can give subjective feedback. Just someone to watch your technique and talk to about shooting. You also serve as their coach.

Good shooting

David
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old October 2, 2010, 06:48 PM   #7
spacecoast

Guys -

Thanks very much for the encouragement and tips. I did get some additional tips about my habits and mannerisms on the line from an experienced shooter at the range today, hopefully following those tips will also help pull my score up.

It's interesting what you said, 10-96, about shooting with a fouled barrel. On the first round today (slow fire 50 yards), the shooter next to me mistakenly put 2 shots on my target. I shot that round again after the 3rd slow fire round and did a few points better. Whether or not it was the fouling in the barrel, I'm not sure, but it might have helped. I felt more comfortable after that first round of ten, today was the first time I've ever shot the pistol at a distance greater than 15 yards.
Old October 2, 2010, 07:26 PM   #8
10-96

It always stinks when someone takes inadvertant liberties on your paper. That's one of the biggest things I have to overcome personally when it comes to my comfort zone, focus, zen, or whatever it's called. Any outside influence rattles me more than any goof up I pull myself. When I KNOW I've pulled a shot, or slap the trigger, or flub my follow-through then I know it was not only my fault but it's in my control to correct it and learn from it. Maybe I stess my self too hard, but I figure I'm getting a late start at this discipline- I don't see as well as I used to and I'm not as steady as I used to be. So, getting all the stars to line up right, turning all my positive "comfortables" into rituals is extremely important to me. Whatever I can do to eliminate any variables at all, and make each shot exactly like the one before it is nothing but positive progession. One might think that's overly anal and maybe bordering on psychotic- but it's really calming and I guess you'd say therapeudic if you buy into "The Zen Of Shooting" philosophy.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.