The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 27, 2005, 09:54 PM   #26
Nimitz87

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt102

Oh by the way what is "cruiser ready"?
John recommends "cruiser ready" (full magazine, empty chamber, hammer down, safety off).....

thats off of John Farnams FAQ ....

Chad
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve to encourage rather than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

-Thomas Jefferson
www.insaneindustry.com

Newbieville Moderator
Old April 27, 2005, 10:30 PM   #27
emt118

12GAGE PUMP 00 BUCK IN CHAMBER THAN SLUG ,00 BUCK ,SLUG AND SO ON
LOADED CHAMBERED WITH SAFTY ON AND IN THE CORNER OF THE BED ROOM
( No kids in the home just me)
Old May 1, 2005, 04:39 PM   #28
Dead

I would use #2 shot.
Old May 3, 2005, 01:21 AM   #29
Nnobby45

Most shotguns, like the 870, are NOT drop safe. The safety keeps the trigger from being pulled, but doesn't prevent the hammer from getting loose and allowing the gun to fire if it's dropped. Carry cruiser ready. As mentioned above, that's chamber empty on a pulled trigger. That way you can just rack and shoot. Kept in the house, for safety reasons, some even keep chamber empty on a cocked gun. That way, the side stop lever has to be activated to rack the shotun. An added safety feature if the wrong person got a hold of the gun.

Low recoil Tactical buck, 00 or 000 from Federal or Winchester Ranger work fine. Forget 3" mag buckshot loads, or short magnum, also (ther're people out there who actually use that stuff ). Save the heavy stuff for dangerous (and big) 4 legged critters. Fast followup shots can be a life saver against intruders. If the bad guys duck behing the couch, even #4 buck may not defeat the cover. You have to measure your own over penetration safety concerns. Personally, I'd like to see some LE low recoil #1buck.

On the other hand, rifles that are unloaded make Farnham nervous. The M16, Mini 14 and most all combat rifles have a good safety system that actually blocks the hammer from falling. The rifles are drop safe.
Old May 4, 2005, 07:52 PM   #30
hummelsander

Um...uhhh...ummmmm Empty?? I have some birdshot 7.5's to load in there but it's really and truly empty.

Whew, glad I got that off my chest.
Old May 4, 2005, 08:58 PM   #31
HighVelocity

6 rounds of 12ga Winchester Ranger low recoil 00 Buck. 2 3/4" low brass.
Old May 5, 2005, 08:14 PM   #32
Bob Freddy

870 w/ 00,00,Slug,00,00,Slug

00 is Winchester Super X Low Recoil 2 3/4
Slugs are Federal Maximum Hi Shock 2 3/4

Cruiser mode, saftey off

concealed but quickly accessible

BOB

Planning to switch to some Ranger Low recoil 00 8 pellet and Slugs
Old May 5, 2005, 08:51 PM   #33
Death from Afar

Sorry guys, I do have a bit of a thing about leaving LOADED weapons lying around. Surely, if you have enough warning of a goblin coming into your house, you have enough time to grab a load of shells and cock your weapon. I would NEVER leave a loaded weapon in the house- firstly its illegal- but also I have a young boy. I just think it is a big risk.

Also, what is to stop the goblin getting to the weapon before you do? you just have handed him a loaded weapon on a plate.

I have the shotgun unloaded, but a bandolier of 00 within arms reach ( high) - to go from loaded to unloaded will take me 3 seconds.

Just my 2 cents.
Old May 5, 2005, 11:45 PM   #34
Wraith

8 slugs in the tube, 1 in the pipe, saftey on.

Why? Slugs don't seem to deform nearly as much as other rounds. I never really realized how big a role deformation in shotgun rounds plays until I couldn't get my 590 to feed.

Besides... I can hit anything with slugs out of my 590.

As for leaving loaded weapons around, I don't have a problem with it. There aren't any little kids, the youngest being 14. When I'm not actually home I lock all the weapons up--I usually take the SKS or the 590 out when I am.

Everyone in the house should know that weapons are always loaded--I have a reminder posted in the safe.

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old May 6, 2005, 01:26 PM   #35
Doug Bowser

I have just joined the forum. I teach NRA Firearms Defense in the Home. I do not think slugs and buckshot are the best choice for Home Defense. Too much penetration (you don't want to shoot your family members through a wall). #7-1/2 shot in a trap load is all that is needed. The shot group at home defense shooting distances is about 8", even with my 18" riot barrel for my 870. As one of the other forum members said, It makes mush out of anything you make a solid hit on.

Doug Bowser
Old May 7, 2005, 04:37 AM   #36
Death from Afar

Wraith- I hear you , and I guess I have a young son and you know what they are like ! but I just feel very uneasy about loaded weapons "unattended"...
Old May 10, 2005, 08:36 AM   #37
Kyote

Mosberg 500 Crusier. 8 rounds, first is high base copper BB, then 4 #4 buck (34 pellet count), finally 3 00 buck. Im not going to wound him with 7 1/2 and then support him the rest of my natural life! He (or she) is DRT.
Old May 10, 2005, 08:59 AM   #38
IZHUMINTER

My Saiga-12 has 2 5-round magazines of 3' #4 and one magazine of 3' 00. I'm seriously considering having it rebuilt from the "sporter" to the "AK" configuration as well as picking up some 8 round mags...
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." -Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water: A Gulf Stream Letter
Old May 10, 2005, 09:41 AM   #39
45 Fu

5 Winchester Supreme 3" magnum buffered and plated 00 buck (15 pellets), with the same in the butt cuff. Chamber empty, hammer down, safety on. I know, I know, why put the safety on when the chamber is empty? It's just habit. When I lay a weapon down, or it leaves my hands, the safety is always on - it's a habit that I plan on sticking with. I shot a 1911 so long it took me forever to stop reaching with my thumb for the safety on my Glock.

I'm not in the city, but I'm not "out there" either, so I don't use slugs. I have them if I need them, but not with the weapon.

I have also used the 2 3/4" S&B 00 buck, and it works pretty well.
Old May 10, 2005, 02:04 PM   #40
FirstFreedom

#4 buck (not 4 shot). Say, does anyone have a link to a picture comparison of all shot sizes...I can't find one.
Old May 10, 2005, 02:33 PM   #41
FirstFreedom

Here, found it

Click on "Shotshell Guide" on the left side, a little ways down:

http://www.winchester.com/products/c...shotshell.aspx

Page 1 of the box is shot, page 2 buckshot sizes.
Old May 10, 2005, 03:07 PM   #42
Ohio Annie

hey Russ

you and me got the same setup.
Old May 10, 2005, 10:53 PM   #43
Nimitz87

Quote:
Originally Posted by death from afar
Sorry guys, I do have a bit of a thing about leaving LOADED weapons lying around. Surely, if you have enough warning of a goblin coming into your house, you have enough time to grab a load of shells and cock your weapon. I would NEVER leave a loaded weapon in the house- firstly its illegal- but also I have a young boy. I just think it is a big risk.

Also, what is to stop the goblin getting to the weapon before you do? you just have handed him a loaded weapon on a plate.

I have the shotgun unloaded, but a bandolier of 00 within arms reach ( high) - to go from loaded to unloaded will take me 3 seconds.

Just my 2 cents.
heh....its illegal is it?

but anyway i load and unload the shotgun each day...its a huge PITA but im not going to leave a loaded SG under the bed incase my home is broken into while im gone.

so the 870 is loaded each night before dark... the 1911 on the other hand is in the drawer loaded in condtion #1 24/7....

Chad
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve to encourage rather than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

-Thomas Jefferson
www.insaneindustry.com

Newbieville Moderator
Old May 11, 2005, 08:04 PM   #44
Multi-G

Two old beat up, well worn 870's are cruiser ready with full tubes of good old Winchester XB100. 2.75in 9 pellet 00Buck. A good classic load for these good classic PoPo trade ins. They currenlty serve as bedroom defense. At my house PMS stands for Pass My Shotgun. (ThanksGG26)

The big M1S90 is Surefire and Sidesaddle equipped. Yes it runs with weak ammo with all the crap on it. It carries Hornaday TAP red 00 Buck in the tube with 3 more on the side accompanied by 3 Winchester 1oz slugs. It is in chamber empty shell on carrier go get the gobblin mode.
Old May 12, 2005, 10:31 AM   #45
Glockgirl26

Quote:
At my house PMS stands for Pass My Shotgun. (ThanksGG26)
No problem Sweetie.
Old May 20, 2005, 08:02 PM   #46
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

2 rounds of ∞-gauge.

(I use other stuff for HD, but have some Federal low-recoil 00 on hand, just in case.)

- pdmoderator
Old May 24, 2005, 07:11 PM   #47
Diggers

Heheh, should I mention the artical I read about #7 shot being good for HD and 00 going through the BG and the wall?................Oh, ok I won't then.
Old May 24, 2005, 10:07 PM   #48
Nimitz87

after reading the http://www.theboxotruth.com/ i believe im going to swith out the 00 buck for #4...not sure yet i may do some tests of my own.

but i cant have the 00 buck going through 6-7 walls...not good....

i suggest others to read that website...

Chad

-Thomas Jefferson
www.insaneindustry.com

Newbieville Moderator
Old May 24, 2005, 10:13 PM   #49
rwilson452

shotty loads

For my 12ga house gun Federal #4 Buck tactical loads Part #H132 4B I found that this load is just right for that top of the stairs to the bottom of the stairs shot. I live in a 2nd floor walkup apt. If someone comes in the front door, they will eat either all of the pattern or darn near the whole pattern provided I do my part. the nice thing is we have outside security lights on all night. anyone at or in the doorway is backlighted and the top is very dark unless I turn on a light. Jack my local PD Chief is very understanding about intruders.

Last edited by rwilson452; May 24, 2005 at 10:28 PM. Reason: more info
Old May 24, 2005, 11:29 PM   #50
partyguy816

"All are Dragon's breath. I can always repaint the room."

Uh ok whatever dude. I have 6 #4's in the tube and chamber and I'm about to have 6 slugs in the side saddle when it arrives.