The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 11, 2000, 07:44 AM   #1
HankB

I saw an ad for "Sentry Solutions" dry lube for guns. This product is a powder in an alcohol carrier which evaporates, leaving the lube "bonded" to the metal. The lube itself appears to be moly and "other" components. The ad copy (including testimonials) makes the product sound great, which is what advertising is supposed to do...but my BS detector is at least on "yellow." Still, I'm wondering if anyone has tried this "dry" product, and with what results?
Old August 11, 2000, 08:29 AM   #2
M1911

I've been using it for the past year or so. Seems to work just fine for me. Whether or not it increases wear on the gun is not something I'm qualified to answer. If it means anything to you (one way or the other), Mas Ayoob and Rick Devoid at LFI recommend Sentry Solutions.

Jared
Old August 13, 2000, 07:36 PM   #3
Oldspeed

HankB,
I have used the Sentry Solutions products and in general like them. Their clear dry-lube is great and the carrier disappears and leaves a dry coating. I have had mixed results with the Moly mix. I e-mailed Sentry and they said that prior use of Teflon Lubes could prevent bonding.If you have used CLP or similar lubes like I have you really have to clean the surface to remoce any remants of Tefon. Also, the stuff does not bond to a highly polished surface as well as a rougher surface. Maybe due to lack of surface prep. the stuff came off with a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. It has potential under the right conditions.
Bob