The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 5, 2011, 10:09 PM   #1
elysian

870 Fit Question

I have a 870 that is in very good condition and I acquired it to be my all-use workhorse gun...

Here is the problem... The gun doesn't fit me.

LOP on the gun is 13.75" which is shorter than everything else I own and also the forend just seems too bulky compared to the SXS's and Auto's I own. Is there a decent aftermarket stock for the gun that has a little bit more length of pull with a narrower forend? I'm not looking to spend a ton but would like this gun to be my normal utility gun.

Also if thats not possible I would like to convert it down to a youth model and make the gun smaller for the girl to use as her all purpose gun so that leads me to ask who might make a youth stock aftermarket that is decent/light?

The gun is a 870 Express 12ga with 28" barrel. (I know going the youth route would mean a shorter barrel)
Old December 5, 2011, 10:54 PM   #2
TheKlawMan

Which forend do you have and what LOP do you need?
Old December 5, 2011, 11:01 PM   #3
oregunner

Check EBay or Gunbroker. Your 870 choices are endless. Mark
Old December 5, 2011, 11:04 PM   #4
elysian

Don't know what forend it is... its the cheap wood with the textured work where the hand would go. Any other detail help you there?

LOP needs to be 14.25"

To the other poster: I'm aware there are millions of options available thats why I'm wondering if anyone has had any success with different ones and their takes on it. The gun will be used mostly for skeet, ducks, and upland.

Last edited by elysian; December 5, 2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old December 6, 2011, 12:41 AM   #5
TheKlawMan

I don't know what to suggest about the forend. You probably know this, but to add to the LOP you can buy spacers from Kickeez with or without a new pad.

http://www.kickeezproducts.com/accessories.php

Here is a wood forend on ebay. If it is slimmer than what you have I don't know. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-87...item4ab19227da

Good luck. I just have a synthetic.
Old December 6, 2011, 07:53 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

Try a youth stock, tons of them on evil bay. Cut down the existing stock and a grind to fit butt pad.
Old December 6, 2011, 10:25 AM   #7
Archametes

I have a Hogue over molded stock on mine and LOP was increased from stock with it. Fore end with that kit might not be what your looking for though. I'll try to post pics later tonight for you...

Last edited by Archametes; December 6, 2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Spelling - damn touch screen :)
Old December 6, 2011, 09:58 PM   #8
langenc

as noted-new longer pad or spacers.
I'd like to get my 1187 cit down about 1", but with new shoulder original stock may do.
Old December 7, 2011, 03:35 PM   #9
wingspar

I just bought my first shotgun ever. A used 870 Wingmaster. My length of pull should be about 14 ½. The LOP of my Wingmaster looks to be about 13 ½. I plan on adding a Limbsaver recoil pad, which I have already ordered. The salesman I bought the gun from said that would probably take care of the LOP issue. If it doesn’t, they do make spacers.

I think going the youth route would also mean shorter LOP, but I could be wrong.