The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 21, 2001, 05:56 PM   #1
KPS

Which 1911 Magazines?

I just purchased a Systema Colt and plan on buying 3 new mags for now.I know I have to pay for quality but I am wondering about the Metalform ,Chip McCormick and Wilsons.I will primarily be shooting ball ammo for practice but I will be carrying this gun for defense with HP's.I looking for feed reliability in a 7-8 round mag that sits flush with the handle.Has anyone had good/bad experiences with these brands?
Old June 21, 2001, 08:16 PM   #2
RWK

Wilson

We all have personal experiences and individual preferences with 1911A1 magazines, but everyone consistently praises Wilson magazines. I have a few and they ALWAYS work in every 1911A1 type I own. IMHO, they are well worth the cost and will eliminate many/most feed related problems in .45 autoloaders.
Old June 21, 2001, 08:22 PM   #3
Jim V

Flush magazines lets out Wilsons, IIRC they have a removable bumper pad.

Shooting Stars have worked well for me and you can leave the bumper pad off them.
Old June 21, 2001, 08:24 PM   #4
Jim V

Flush magazines lets out Wilsons, IIRC they have a removable bumper pad.

Shooting Stars have worked well for me and you can leave the bumper pad off them.

YMMV VWP NVIAS NWEI LS/MFT
Old June 21, 2001, 09:31 PM   #5
M1911

You can get Wilsons without a bumper bad, with a thin bumper pad, and with a thick bumper pad. Whatever floats your boat.

For me, the mags that work the best are Wilson standard capacity (7 rounds full-size, 6 round officer's). With the +1 mags, I get more failures. The most common is that the slide sometimes doesn't lock back after the last shot. Less common, but more worrying are failures to feed (the bullet nosedives into the ramp). The McCormicks do this more than the 8 round Wilson's, but I've had the Wilson's do it to. Which is why I just converted my last 8 round Wilson into a 7 round standard capacity. YMMV.

M1911
Old June 21, 2001, 11:47 PM   #6
gyp_c2

.Good answers...what I've found, you have to find what works in your pistol and use it...They aren't all the same, even the same type from the same manufacturer is no guarantee...Unless you have the pistol in for a reliability tune, just buy one of each and use what works as close to 100% as possible...They all have good histories, just not with the same guns!

Good Luck...Try 'em til' you get the best for your pistol...If not one of the three works...off to the big house for some "corrections"...
Old June 22, 2001, 04:59 AM   #7
KPS

I guess I'll try a Wilson first and if that works then get more rather than buying 3 of one brand and non of them feeding properly.I have read somewhere though that 7 rd mags are more reliable than the 8 rds.
Old June 22, 2001, 12:32 PM   #8
Ledbetter

Worth noting

Wilson conversion kits are available at Brownells.com for $8. These convert your present mags to Wilson internal components (spring and follower).
Old June 22, 2001, 02:40 PM   #9
KPS

Thanks Ledbetter

Installing a Wilson conversion kit on my stock mag would save me a few $$.
Old June 25, 2001, 09:00 AM   #10
LIProgun

I have found the Wilson-Rogers to be the best. The McCormick-Shooting Star are very good; however, on occasion the split follower will ride under the slide lock and fail to lock open the slide after the last round. I have 4 or 5 of these mags, and all will do it once and a while.

As for Metalform, I only have experience with the 2 that came with a Colt I purchased a few years back. These Colt's marked mags have the "M" stamp on the floorplate indicating Metalform manufacture. These are 7-round Officer's ACP-size mags. They work flawlessly. And the solid (orange plastic) follower design prevents riding under the slide lock, like the McCormick mags (and others) can do. The Wilson-Rogers have the same solid style follower to prevent that problem.

For less expensive alternatives, the Mec-Gar standard length 7-rounders are a good buy.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old June 25, 2001, 10:10 AM   #11
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Wilson Combat

By far, they are the best magazines on the market. US Special Forces and FBI personnel choose this magazine too.

I personally prefer the 7 rounders.
Old June 26, 2001, 12:10 AM   #12
Cat

I use Wilson 8 round mags in my Kimber. I used them in my old Gold Cup. Never a problem in either gun with any of the twelve mags I have.

I also have three CMC eight round and three CMC 10 round mags. All have worked fine in either gun.

But you are right. You have to try them in your gun. And the next lot of mags from the same company might not work right.