The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 23, 2012, 07:14 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Buying a 1911

I posted this in the Handgun Forum but I fealt this may be a better forum.
I am currently at the beginner level handgunning. I have a NEOS and a 96 both of which are fantastic IMO. I want to buy a 1911because this seems to be the "gun to have" as my skills advance and I want to start shooting some competition. Im in NJ so the number of matches is limited but the I know my local club offers Bullseye, hoping they may also have steel or other competition. Can I shoot or should I look at 9mm, 40 or 45. If it doesnt matter I may lean towards the 9mm because of less recoil and cheaper ammo.

Last edited by BoogieMan; April 23, 2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old April 23, 2012, 09:11 AM   #2
cookie5

The best thing to do is watch the competitions that you want to compete in and see what the others shoot. If you want to get into competition you may want to get into reloading.
Old April 23, 2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Hawg

Best bet is go to a range that rents guns and try one. Recoil of a 1911 with .45 ACP isn't bad. It's a heavy gun and that helps dampen it. If you're not already into reloading you might as well get ready to if you want to shoot competition.
Old April 23, 2012, 11:15 AM   #4
overkill0084

+3 on the reloading. Any serious competition will pretty much require it unless you're independently wealthy. It also allows you to tailor your ammo to your exact needs.
You should show up and watch some of the different matches that interest you. See what the competitors are using and get their advice. You will have a better chance of getting things right the first time.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old April 23, 2012, 11:16 AM   #5
BoogieMan

Can I be competitive with my 96? I am sure I can find or make an adjustable sight setup.
Old April 23, 2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
Can I be competitive with my 96? I am sure I can find or make an adjustable sight setup.
Beretta? I'd say it depends on what type of competition. It might not be the best choice for bullseye but should do well for steel.
Old April 23, 2012, 10:23 PM   #7
Casimer

Check out njpistol.com

NJ actually has a very well run BE circuit w/ matches up and down the state all year long.

If you're interested in BE, my advice would be to stick w/ a 22 for the time being to see if you like the sport. If you find that you'd like to stick with it, you'll find plenty of opportunities to pick up match grade 1911's second hand.