The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 21, 2014, 01:28 PM   #1
mjes92

Shipping live ammo?

It is legal for private citizens to ship live factory ammunition across state lines?

Doe the USPS, UPS, and FedEx have specific rules?

Several changes in the laws have occured and I don't know who to believe any longer.
Thanks
NRA - Life Member
Old March 21, 2014, 01:32 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

I'm mailing some today. USPS will not ship ammo. Fedex is a pain, but it can be done. UPS is the easiest. Go to their website and search "ship ammo". You can only ship out of a UPS terminal, no UPS stores allowed (they aren't really owned by UPS, they're franchised). You have to download a label to put on the box and the ammo has to be in the original container or something similar. All the rules are posted. It has to go UPS Ground, no air shipment. You don't pay any extra because it's ammo but you do pay through the nose because it's UPS. One brick on 22lr ammo is about twenty bucks to ship. Businesses get a much better rate than we do.
Old March 21, 2014, 01:46 PM   #3
H.W. French

Legal and Very easy. No special forms or fees. Just write small arms ammunition in the contents section of the shipping form. You will need to affix a ORM-D label to the outside of the package. I usually copy and print one off of the internets. The new logo looks like a Diamond with the north and south points colored in instead of the old Blue ORM-D label. You can even draw it on the package with a sharpie if you don't want to print one off. As stated take it to a hub. The only question I ever get asked is if it is under .51 caliber.
Old March 21, 2014, 03:56 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

I just got back from shipping it. No problem. The girl at the UPS desk entered everything into the computer as she copied it off the package. I showed her my ID (drivers license), gave her $19.59 to ship one brick of 22lr ammo three hundred miles. I could almost drive it there for that price....two bricks and I would have