The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 12, 2013, 01:19 AM   #26
+1k ammo

Hey Cajunbrass, that 2nd picture down is the one I have - NRA - commemorative or something like that. Found it used NIB and never fired. Great gun.

I think someone thought it would be really valuable someday, but truth is that there are so many of these, I think only some of the first ones ever might be worth something. Otherwise just have fun and shoot them.
Old January 12, 2013, 07:29 AM   #27
CajunBass

Quote:
Hey Cajunbrass, that 2nd picture down is the one I have - NRA - commemorative or something like that. Found it used NIB and never fired. Great gun.

I think someone thought it would be really valuable someday, but truth is that there are so many of these, I think only some of the first ones ever might be worth something. Otherwise just have fun and shoot them.
That's it. William B. Ruger NRA commerative MK II. I got it for my wife for Valentines Day, several years ago. In absolutly pristine, unfired condition, they MIGHT bring a slight premium over a regular MK II, but I really doubt it. They later made a version with nice Cocobolo grips that looked even better.

Funny story. I paid $219.00 for that one, NIB at a Gander Mountain here in Fredericksburg. They had a stack of them, blowing them out for that price.

About six months later, I look in the used gun cabinet, and there is one of them. Someone had rubbed soap or something like it into the roll marks so they stood out white. Looked nice actually. It was tagged at $599.00.

I asked the clerk about it and he started telling me it was a special model, with special serial numbers, bla, bla, bla....With a grin and a wink, I told him I had one just like it I bought from this very store six months ago for about $200.00. He laughed and said "Yea, I knew you knew what it was. To tell you the truth one of the managers here bought it and paid WAY too much for it, and now he's determined to sell it for this price. We're going to lose our shirts on it."
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 12, 2013, 08:07 AM   #28
steveNChunter

Cajunbass, I need to visit your hometown someday and go gun shopping. Seems like you have found quite a few deals except for that $600 one at gander mtn. Everybody in northwest NC is high as a kite on their gun prices, and there are apparently enough rich idiots around here to keep them in business. Im hoping to find somebody in the local classifieds in need of some quick cash that wants to sell their ruger MK. Thats my best chance of a good deal around here.
Old January 12, 2013, 08:37 AM   #29
CajunBass

Quote:
Cajunbass, I need to visit your hometown someday and go gun shopping.
Well, you need to understand that MK II, at $219.00 was several years ago. Probably six or eight. And even that was a "blow-out sale" price. I believe a NIB MK III Standard is about $329.00 these days. The other two I mentioned, those are recent prices, but they don't turn up every day. You just have to look often and be ready to strike when they do.
Old January 12, 2013, 05:36 PM   #30
Viper99

Here is my latest used one at 250 otd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-12-13_20-00-36_691.jpg (244.6 KB, 49 views)
Old January 12, 2013, 11:15 PM   #31
mxsailor803

I picked up a MKI for 190otd at a pawn shop 2 years ago. Granted, internally, nothing is stock now. I personally prefered the MKI over the newer versions due to "lack of features". I was wanting a auto for a truck gun and just didn't want all those extras.
Old January 13, 2013, 02:59 AM   #32
cdbeagle

Had a MK III 22/45 that I really liked but it was stolen. The one thing I didn't like was the trigger. Because of that I replaced it with a Buck Mark Camper. It has a much better trigger than the Ruger had and I am more accurate with it. I truly believe the Ruger/Browning debate is as close to Ford/Chevy as you can get. I do not have plans to do any customizing to the Buck Mark. If I were going to customize a .22 pistol I would buy a Ruger.
Old January 13, 2013, 06:31 AM   #33
Sevens

We always seem to be so quick to use the derogatory term "LAWYER" or "LAWYERED" etc etc. Now it's not that I want to rush to the defense of lawyers heck, they knew before they picked their life's work that generally speaking...people think less of them than used car salesmen.

It's just that lawyers deserve NO MENTION when it comes to these idiotic gadgets. Sure, in the grand scheme --- lawyers are involved, no doubt. But this is political and more to the point...this is MUCH more about streamlined manufacturing and cost savings.

Mark III pistols have had this crap added because it costs Ruger EXTRA money to either make CA and MA approved separate models...and/or, it would cost Ruger too much in sales to simply NOT sell their guns in those places.

The pistols have been CALIFORNIA'D, not lawyered.

The other thing I wanna say: I'm sure a lot of us pick a stance on something and refuse to EVER waiver from it for the rest of time and space. Simply put, we couldn't ever be convinced otherwise, no matter how the argument is presented.

Well, here's mine. The Mark II non-poly pistols are BY FAR the best of any of them. I'd pay more money for a clean used Mark II than I would ever even consider paying for -ANY- Mark III and I'd take a clean Mark II over an equal condition Mark I at half the price.

God could come to Earth and stare me down at three feet and not change my mind on this subject. But of course... YMMV!
Old January 13, 2013, 08:47 AM   #34
AH.74

Quote:
Mark III pistols have had this crap added because it costs Ruger EXTRA money to either make CA and MA approved separate models...and/or, it would cost Ruger too much in sales to simply NOT sell their guns in those places.

The pistols have been CALIFORNIA'D, not lawyered.
This is exactly why I was so disappointed when the LC9 came out- I was interested in one but it was immediately crossed off the list because of them, specifically the manual safety. I love my little LCP and would have seriously considered the LC9 if it was more like a larger version, instead of what was put out.

At least a company like Kahr, for example, makes different versions of their guns with the CA necessities, that people who don't need them may opt not to have.

Ruger dropped the ball in not doing the same with their new guns, IMHO.

Back on-topic, I got an MKIII because I preferred the newer-style mag release and took out the mag disconnect and LCI. It's an excellent gun made even better with the mods.
Old January 13, 2013, 10:40 AM   #35
Colorado308shooter

I've got a Mark II 22/45 and I love it. Its very accurate and very easy to shoot with the 1911 grip angle.

I'm not a fan of the Mark III's, with all that lawyered up safety crap on them.

I'd look for a good used Mark II.
Old January 13, 2013, 04:34 PM   #36
j3ffr0

When people say they have a Mark III 22/45, I still sometimes wonder what gun they have. Maybe they are talking about a newer 22/45? The Mark III and 22/45 are very different guns when it comes to ergonomics.

The Mark III:
-Feel a lot better to me. Fits my hand better and points better.
-Are a lot heavier than the 22/45
-Have a different grip angle than the 22/45
-The bottom plate of the magazine is even different than the 22/45. You can't use a Mark III magazine in a 22/45 without switching this.

I prefer the Mark III by a lot.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:03 PM   #37
steveNChunter

By a MK III 22/45 they mean a 22/45 that was made in the MK III era. Although there are some differences there are alot more similarities. As the starter of this thread Ive heard alot of good knowledgeable advice and comparison, even though there are alot of different opinions. What Ive gathered so far is this: If you can find a nice used MK II you might have the best of the best by just a hair, but there is no wrong choice when it comes to the MK series. From the first standard auto all the way up to the new MK III's and 22/45's, you cant go wrong. Seems to me there are many personal preferences but no such thing as a "bad" ruger MK.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:55 PM   #38
Sevens

Quote:
Seems to me there are many personal preferences but no such thing as a "bad" ruger MK.
A guy at work became a pretty good friend of mine and a range buddy when I discovered that he owned a handgun and was a bit of a shooter. But a couple years ago when he owned only one handgun, he was looking to expand his world to others.

I very heavily suggested that he needed a rimfire handgun. I told him that one of the ones I had was likely the finest firearm I owned...on the simple basis of how well it's worked for how long, it's function, accuracy, build quality, and pure enjoyment I get from it. My KMK-512, a stainless, 5 1/2" bull barrel Mark II target.

It made sense to him that a rimfire was a great idea. So much trigger time for a low investment cost and ammo for a fraction of the cost of center fire. His primary gun was a 1911 and he's got small hands, so the idea of the 22/45 seemed to make the most sense to him.

I suggested he put real effort in to finding a clean, used Mark II, for reasons I've already stated. Instead, he bought a brand new, box fresh 22/45 Mark III.

He's struggled through over two THOUSAND rounds and neither one of us has -EVER- seen the pistol make it through a 10 round magazine. He's tried no less than six different brands of ammo. It stops in many ways, but it's favorite failure is a simple stove pipe. You can set your watch by this pistol -- it will not fire 10 rounds without a stoppage.

He hasn't yet contacted Ruger. I've bugged him about it. He will eventually, I'd imagine. In the mean time, he bought a GSG 1911-22 and put well over 2,000 rounds through that pistol and when run with 36gr bulk plated Federal Champion (the Wal-Mart special), it gives a failure rate of less than one per bulk box. My GSG is the same way...I don't even get 1 failure in 525, mine does even better.

I've got more than a half dozen rimfire semi-auto pistols and though my GSG is one thoroughly amazing handgun...I simply don't own a firearm that's as, well, perfect as my KMK-512, Mark II.

His brand new, straight out of the box 22/45 Mark III is the textbook definition of a lemon. I have very little doubt that a trip to Ruger (which would likely be an ultra-fast turn-around) would have that pistol running up to Ruger standards. However... that pistol and my pistol are light years apart.

It's absolutely a "bad" Ruger MK.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:29 PM   #39
CajunBass

The MK III, 22/45 is simply a variation of the MK III. It has the same LCI, magazine safety, key lock, and "American style" magazine release as the standard MK III. The only differences are the frame material, and the grip.

Same goes for a MK II, 22/45. Just a variation of the MK II.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:01 PM   #40
Sevens

Not to split hairs, and you are absolutely correct in that it is a variation on the NEARLY-same upper, but it's worth mentioning that this variation uses a totally different material for the receiver of the pistol. And a different grip angle. With a different magazine, the both of which must somehow result in a dissimilar feed angle given the differences.

Sure, Ruger and the Fed Gubbmint call the upper portion with the serial number as the "receiver" but it's the lower that has all the trigger and sear guts in it.

The 22/45 is accurately described as a variation on the Mark II and III pistols...but in it's actual working form, it's very different. More so, than it might seem.

I think if you told a salesman that you needed a Mark II and he slid a 22/45 over the counter... he'd think he was right, but I'd -KNOW- he's all wrong!
Old January 13, 2013, 09:13 PM   #41
steveNChunter

@ Sevens

When I said no such thing as a "bad" ruger MK, I meant the different generations and variations. Not that every single MK ever made was perfect. Every gunmaker, no matter how good their reputation, puts out at least a few lemons every now and then. Id be willing to bet if your buddy would just send the gun back to ruger like you said, they would make it right. If its as bad as you say, I wouldnt have wasted my time putting more than 500 rounds through it. After a hundred rounds or so each from a few different brands it should be obvious something needs to be fixed, cause that surely isnt the norm for that gun.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:19 PM   #42
Merad

Quote:
When people say they have a Mark III 22/45, I still sometimes wonder what gun they have. Maybe they are talking about a newer 22/45? The Mark III and 22/45 are very different guns when it comes to ergonomics.
The official name (as stamped on the gun) of the two pistols is "Mk III" or "22/45 Mk III".
Old January 13, 2013, 09:32 PM   #43
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I will be honest, a Ruger Mk pistol is still my favorite handgun I own. I have a MkII Competition (SS slab-side) and love it. I recently sold my other MkII (SS Bull Barrel) and had to start shooting this one. I had this one sitting in the safe unfired for almost 15 years.. Just keep your eyes open. I had seen one in a local pawn shop for $275 (blued Bull Barrel). It sold within a week.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 13, 2013, 09:44 PM   #44
Venom1956

I thought I saw some one build a mk2/mk3 hybrid once. mk2 upper and internals with the mk3 lower for the mag release. That's the only gun I've ever seen that I would like as much as a mk2.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 13, 2013, 11:35 PM   #45
j3ffr0

Thanks for clearing that up for me Merad, Severns, CajunBass, and steveNChunter. Much appreciated!
Old January 14, 2013, 12:39 PM   #46
Sevens

Quote:
When I said no such thing as a "bad" ruger MK, I meant the different generations and variations. Not that every single MK ever made was perfect. Every gunmaker, no matter how good their reputation, puts out at least a few lemons every now and then. Id be willing to bet if your buddy would just send the gun back to ruger like you said, they would make it right. If its as bad as you say, I wouldnt have wasted my time putting more than 500 rounds through it. After a hundred rounds or so each from a few different brands it should be obvious something needs to be fixed, cause that surely isnt the norm for that gun.
You are correct, of course, but I'd submit that while many or most folks that own Mark III pistols have had good experiences...

I think if you were able to put a lot of time and energy in to comprehensive research (which would be difficult, I'm sure) you might find that:

--of the folks that have owned Mark II and Mark III pistols, it's not a close race and the Mark III is clearly a step back

--of the folks that have had problems with either series, there's a lot more problems in the Mark III series. Minor issues, lemons, annoyances, all the little things that Mark II guns DON'T seem to have, all the little things that are absent from Mark II guns that have built their reputation.

It could simply be that since the Mark II has been unavailable since 2004, the bulk of the chatter in forums has been about the gun that available now--the Mark III. I'm not blind to that possibility.

Perhaps its a difficult theory to prove...but my theory is absolutely that on the whole, the Mark III guns are a solid step below the Mark II's.
Old January 14, 2013, 04:20 PM   #47
AH.74

Quote:
Perhaps its a difficult theory to prove...but my theory is absolutely that on the whole, the Mark III guns are a solid step below the Mark II's.
I have been under the impression that aside from the LCI and mag disconnect, there are virtually no differences. In fact, I do recall reading that the feed ramp was improved to help with reliability in the MKIII's. Am I missing other differences?

On the whole, I have heard of very few complaints about the MKIII.
Old January 14, 2013, 04:21 PM   #48
steveNChunter

Sevens- that could very well be the case. Im ideally hoping to find a used MK II stainless w/ a 4.5-6" barrel, (which may be more than I want to spend) but if not a standard auto or MK III at a good deal wont be passed up.
Old January 14, 2013, 04:46 PM   #49
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH.74
I have been under the impression that aside from the LCI and mag disconnect, there are virtually no differences. In fact, I do recall reading that the feed ramp was improved to help with reliability in the MKIII's. Am I missing other differences?

On the whole, I have heard of very few complaints about the MKIII.
This is correct. Other than what you have said, there are no major differences. I removed the Magazine Disconnects on all my Mark III pistols because I want the magazine to drop freely, and I dont want something keeping my pistol from operating if I lose, or damage, the magazine. Its a 15 minute job to remove. The LCI has never caused me any problems with thousands of rounds downrange. With the removal of the magazine disconnect, the Mark III is the equal of the Mark II.

You are always going to have people argue that one Mark is better than the other. You will never be able to change those opinions over the internet. If you were to grind off all the markings, and identifying features of a Mark II and III, and shoot them side by side, I guarantee that you would have a very hard time identifying which was which. Years later, when you were still shooting, and trying to decide, you will simply give up out of frustration, because there is really no difference.

I have a special love for both of these... the Mark II was the first gun I ever bought, new in 1987, and the 22/45 is the most accurate handgun I have ever owned, or shot. I dont mean that its kinda accurate... its a one ragged hole gun, over and over, at 25 yards.

Last edited by weblance; January 14, 2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:45 AM   #50
Pilot

Quote:
The LCI has never caused me any problems with thousands of rounds downrange. With the removal of the magazine disconnect, the Mark III is the equal of the Mark II.

I think that with removal of the mag disconnect AND removal of the LCI the MK III can get close to the MK II, but just because you've not had problems with the LCI, many, many others have. Including AD's, and the pistol malfunctioning especially when getting a bit dirty.

The other issue with the MK III is the placement of the mag release. There was nothing wrong with the heal release on the MK I, and MK II. These are target, and plinking pistols with no reason for "tactical" magazine changes. The placement of the mag release to the frame, while maybe a nice marketing move, does nothing to improve the pistol.

The MK III incorporates needless changes which alter the pistol for the worse to meet ridiculous requirements from states like California. That is the only reason it was done by Ruger. They should have produced both MK II's, and III's side by side and sold the MK II in free states, and the MK III eleswhere.

Tags
.22 , 22/45 , mark ii , mark iii , ruger