The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 8, 2012, 10:05 PM   #26
rgrundy

Nothing has changed in my EDC. Still go everywhere I did before.
Old August 9, 2012, 03:55 AM   #27
akguy1985

No change here, still carrying my 642 loaded with .38spl +p's.
Old August 9, 2012, 04:03 AM   #28
Hook686

Yes

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old August 9, 2012, 08:29 AM   #29
JimPage

I haven't changed. I really think you are responding to increased publicity of the events. Whether one or a dozen victims, the situation does not change in my mind. The publicity elicits from me a reminder to myself to be aware of my surroundings.

To the anti gun crowd it is an opportunity to push for more gun control. To us it is increased awareness. To gun stores it is increased sales to those of us who react by buying a new gun.

C'est la vie.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old August 9, 2012, 08:58 AM   #30
Skans

No, not at all. In a country of over 350,000,000 people, one nut killing a few people thousands of miles away from where I live is basically a non-event for me personally. That doesn't mean that I don't feel sympathy for those that were injured or killed. It simply doesn't alarm or concern me any more than the nut in Finland who shot some people. As to threats to me or my family, I am far more concerned about 4-to-18 wheel vehicular threats that can squash an entire family like bugs in a blink of an eye.
Old August 9, 2012, 12:11 PM   #31
Neal_G.

I'm of the same mind as Skans. If you think some random mass killings means we're heading for full on social order meltdown, take a deep breath, step away from the computer, and go outside. The world still turns.

Mexico is still several orders of total crap worse than the US ever has been, yet the government, corrupt though it is, continues to function and provide services on a basic level for it's citizens.
Old August 9, 2012, 02:30 PM   #32
m&p45acp10+1

I still carry the same guns the same way. As has been said "I refuse to change my daily routine due to the actions of a couple of homicidal dingbats. I shoot every weekend. My carry guns are shot quite regularly. I am a firm believer in be more effective with what you have, rather than buying more to be effective.

Besides it is too hot here to wear a Secret Service kevlar trench coat with an Uzi underneath it.
Old August 9, 2012, 02:51 PM   #33
youngunz4life

Quote:
The 1960's seemed more breakdown-y to me...
they were saying it was all going down the pot i the 1860s. time is a pendulum
Old August 9, 2012, 03:13 PM   #34
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I really think you are responding to increased publicity of the events.
Possibly the mass shootings. However the violent flash mobs, and knock out game are things I can't remember happening years ago.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 9, 2012, 03:35 PM   #35
ripnbst

I had been kicking the CCW rock around for a while and after the CO shootings I sacked up and paid the piper to do it legally. It BS I have to pay anyone anything which is what kept me from it.

Gonna be 120+ days before I get it though

Last edited by ripnbst; August 9, 2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old August 9, 2012, 04:07 PM   #36
CWKahrFan

Good for you ripn... It'll feel good...
Old August 9, 2012, 10:06 PM   #37
Nanuk

Quote:
Mexico is still several orders of total crap worse than the US ever has been, yet the government, corrupt though it is, continues to function and provide services on a basic level for it's citizens.
RIIIGHT......
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old August 13, 2012, 01:18 AM   #38
aphdmansoc

"...it is too hot here to wear a Secret Service kevlar trench coat with an Uzi underneath it." Yeah, but winter's coming.

On different calibers for self-defense: If you can hit what you aim at it doesn't matter...if you can't it doesn't matter. So, it doesn't matter...Me
Old August 14, 2012, 11:14 PM   #39
JC57

I'm not worried about being a victim of some random mass shooting. I decided long ago I wasn't going to live in fear all the time.

I haven't changed my carrying habits at all. I rarely carry, and when I do it's a S&W J-frame in a pocket holster. If I want to go someplace that prohibits carry, then I go there and don't carry. I'm not going to live my whole life around carrying a pistol.

I am so much more likely to be killed in a car crash to and from work than encountering a deadly force scenario that to worry excessively about it is pointless.
Old August 16, 2012, 02:03 PM   #40
Dr_Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah/Az
I haven't changed anything. If I'm not in the shower or in bed, my PM9 is on me.
I think this is pretty much a given. But I've found myself leaving my firearm on the island in the ketchen when I get home and unload my keys and wallet. I will make note to change that habit.

But for the most part I'll carry whichever has the most ammo. G26 or 36.
Old August 16, 2012, 02:13 PM   #41
dfsixstring

Recent events have inspired me to do things differently. I typically carry a spare mag now - that's new for me. I also carry more often, even when not convenient. Sometimes this is difficult because my wife is a teacher and I spend a lot of time at the school. I hate leaving my pistol in the vehicle.

Nashville has become a very anti-gun city and I'm finding more places that prohibit. Alabama is very gun friendly though. I've yet to see a business with a gun buster sign up.

I am much more aware of what's going on around me too.

Dfsixstring
SR9c
LCP
RST4S
Old August 21, 2012, 11:51 PM   #42
357autoloader

I'm going to bed now. My Glock 31 which is very seldom out of arms reach is going with me and will sit on the night stand until it goes back on my belt when I pull on my pants in the morning. Nah, I'm not doing anything different, same ole same ole.
Old August 22, 2012, 06:16 AM   #43
Dwight55

Well, . . . I gave away my .380, . . . am becoming more comfortable with a shoulder holster, . . . now have 2 1911's, . . . and in general I am more "watchful" while I am away from the homestead.

And I credit more of that to better training and greater desire than to any particular "event". I gave up political rallies and movie theaters some 30+ years ago.

I agree that there isn't the amount of crime there used to be, . . . but also it used to be that one could almost predict the areas, . . . but with today's highway systems, . . . availability of transportation, . . . no area's are exempt. Therefore, I try to "play it safer".

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old August 24, 2012, 08:29 PM   #44
ltc444

Made my change two years ago. Moved out of the Phoenix Valley. Obtained my CCW. Stopped going to large events. Do not patronize establishments who prohibit CCW. (Except the VA) Got my wife into shooting (she now shoots better than me within 10 yds) Developed a defense in depth around my property. Obtained more effective ammo for my weapons.

My rule on ammo is if you run out before the fight is finished then you don't have enough. Carry 2 spare mags with all of my autos with 2 additional mags and a box of ammo in the truck. That equates to 22 45 ACP for my 1911 and 45 rounds for my TA/TZ 9mm on my person.

As Bruce Willis said "Satan Clause is out there be Prepared Son, Be Prepared"
Old August 27, 2012, 12:17 AM   #45
FM12

Thinking my Colt Agent 6 shot 38 spl snubbie and my Charter Arms 5 shot 44 spl snubbie may not be enough and might need to upgrade!

Excellent post BTW!

The time to decide is NOW not then.
Old August 27, 2012, 11:16 AM   #46
TheRaskalKing

I got my CCW back in february, but didn't have the funds for a carry gun for a long time. This weekend I picked up a USP compact in 9mm, and am shopping for holsters for it currently. I've never been an EDC-er, but I have been shooting actively for the past year or so. So my habits and lifestyle have both changed, and still are changing as I am starting to EDC, but not necessarily as a result of recent events. Just this weekend in my very quiet, suburban hometown, A local farmer was robbed and shot while selling corn on the side of the main highway in town. It's absolutely a reminder to constantly be prepared and aware, but it doesn't make me want to run and hide. It confirms my decision to carry, and yes, does make me feel a little more urgency to buy a holster and start, but doesn't make me paranoid.

I really like what was said earlier about situational awareness vs. paranoia. The former is a lifestyle and a mindset, the latter is fear.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power,and of love, and of a sound mind." - 2 Timothy 1:7