The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 31, 2006, 02:50 PM   #1
9mm1033

Info on bowling pin shooting...

What's the deal with bowling pin shooting? Course of fire. Types of guns used, etc.
Old January 31, 2006, 02:57 PM   #2
fisherman66

You mean you need a special gun to shoot a bowling pin? What is the world comming to?

I'd guess that almost all bpin shooting is done with handguns. Other than that, anything goes.

Is there some offical "bowling pin shooting" league that I'm not aware of?
Old January 31, 2006, 04:02 PM   #3
J.D.B.

Pistols, revolvers, carbines, even shotguns (no hot magnums). Limited and open class for each of the types. Limited is (around here), any open sight, no compensators. Open is anything, like all-out race guns,etc. One of our weekly shooters is a 13 year old girl who shoots in "open carbine". She usually has some 2.5 second tables in a match(WICKED FAST). A typical match is six tables of five pins. The slowest time is dropped and you're scored on the best five. At our matches, each shooter has thirty seconds to clear of a table at a distance of thirty-six feet. During the summer I play in another club's matches and they time to fifteen seconds at 25 feet, best five out of six tables. Some clubs time the pins to the floor, some stop the time when the pin leaves the table (this is a good strategic point if a pin is slowly rolling off the table). Some clubs allow the shooter to stand at "ready-low", and others with the gun benched and hands up before the timer starts. I saw one group start with guns benched, slides locked open, mags out! I shoot every week, keeps the shootin' eye sharp with a nice balance of speed and accuracy. I'll be there tomorrow. If anyone's in the Taylor, Michigan area, come on out and give it a try, we start around five P.M. and go till nine. Here's a link to the place:http://www.topgunshootingsports.com/

Josh
Old January 31, 2006, 04:04 PM   #4
fisherman66

Man, that sounds like FUN.

I had no idear there was a bowling league for shooters.
Old February 1, 2006, 07:59 AM   #5
9mm1033

J.D.B.

Thanks.
Old February 1, 2006, 09:40 PM   #6
J.D.B.

You're surely welcome, 9mm. Why roll a ball at them when you can BLAST them with a gun? Far more satisfying to me. I shot my way into fourth place last week and tonight I think I fell into the cellar! Damn pins were SQUARE and HEAVY!
Josh
Old February 6, 2006, 04:07 PM   #7
ihatepickles

But the bowling ball is 112000 grains coming out of the muzzle at around 5 fps. That a power factor of 560! That's some awesome bowling pin stopping power...
Old February 11, 2006, 06:21 PM   #8
ampleworks

Actually...

16lb bowling all: 112000 grain
Ball speed of 15MPH = 22fps

PF = wieght x velocity / 1000

112000 * 22 / 1000 = 2464 PF

That'd be like a 223 going at 44,800 fps! Geez!
Old February 12, 2006, 02:16 AM   #9
stercrazy

We used to have Bowling Pin shoots here in this area and will hopefully have them on a regular scheduled basis this spring and summer. We shot 5 pins at 24 feet, with both tables, Old doors on saw horses! Both shooters on the line at the same time, usually with guns loaded and pointed at a 45 degree angle, till the comand to fire winner was the first to clear the table.

I personally don't like shooting against a clock! In the case where a good shooter was up against a shooter that was not as good we usually handicap the good shooter. That handicap can be starting with the gun on the table, to being on the table empty, having to shoot with the weak hand. We also will on occasion with the good shooters that have a sense of humor we have been known to make the shooters place there guns on the bench's and swap places shooting with the other guys gun. Things like that can make things really fun.