The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 4, 2002, 01:45 PM   #1
once-ler

Star Mag Safety

I have a old Star Model F .22 auto pistol. It shoots well but the magazine safety makes for a stiff trigger pull - about 10 lbs. I've heard that there is an easy way to remove the magazine safety and thus reduce the trigger pull.
Can anyone out there tell me how to remove the magazine safety from a .22 Star? The gun is from the "Garcia" years. Thanks.
Old December 5, 2002, 02:22 PM   #2
BEARMAN

The removal of any thing that has the word safety on it , is opening a can of worms and a lot of discustion . But , having said that , I would first try a good lubricant like, OUTER'S GUNSLICK or ULTIMA-LUBE from DILLION PRECISION PROD., or any of the other super lubs that the USPSA or IDPA competition shooters use on their triggers. Failing that , the DIGEST book "GUNSMITHING: THE TRICKS OF THE TRADE by J.B. WOOD " has instuctions on removing the mag device from a STAR FM .22, a BM and a BKM. if you don't want to buy the book [a mistake, it's good reading] you can peek on the book rack ,it is quite simple to do. BEARMAN
Old December 5, 2002, 08:50 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is simple to do, but I agree with Bearman that it might not be wise. IIRC how those are made, the mag safety should not be interfering with the trigger or causing a hard pull. I would look in another direction for that problem, probably the deep sear notch in the hammer.

Jim
Old December 8, 2002, 01:43 PM   #4
Clark

Some Star pistols will not fire without the magazine in place.
I have defeated that featuer in a few Stars, but I don't see how it relates to trigger pull.
Old December 8, 2002, 09:38 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

I refer to them as magazine disconnecters.
Not safetys.
They make the gun a little less reliable and hence, less safe.

sam
Old December 9, 2002, 04:40 PM   #6
once-ler

Maybe I am dead wrong about this. The reason I am looking to remove the magazine safety - also called a disconnector - is to improve the trigger pull. I have read that certain guns of the Browning design (such as the HP) will show an improved trigger pull with the disconnector removed. I once had a Star BKM that had this done prior to my owning it and the trigger pull was decent.
The Star Model F is a low-bucks gun and is not worth a trip to a 'smith for a trigger job. I don't like the magazine safety anyway, and if getting it removed will help the trigger pull too, well, that's OK with me.

Jim - You might be right about the sear, but before I mess around with it, I'd like to try something less radical like removing the disconnector. If it's simple to do, please tell me how to do it. If it doesn't help, I can always put it back in.
Bearman - Thanks for the advice about the book.
Onceler.