The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 26, 2000, 03:38 AM   #1
raggiejack

I live in Johannesburg, South Africa and this is my first visit to the Shotgun Forum.

I purchased a Remington 870 Wingmaster, circa 1976 in absolute mint condition from a friend.

The 870 sports a 28" vented rib smooth bore barrel no tube chokes.

I phoned the agent for Remington here in SA and enquired weather they could machine the bbl to accept remington chokes.

I was told the following:

No tooling exists in this country, they would have to import it at a cost of +/-
$285.72 which would be for my account.

Or I could purchase a replacement bbl at a cost of (get this) +/- $400.00

Where can I purchase the tooling and is this a job that I can do myself.

Regards Jacques.

Old July 26, 2000, 07:25 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Unless you're a machinist used to working with tolerances of less than .0001 inch, I'd get a pro to do it.

Also, are there no other sources for bbls? Even with a stiff tariff,that price is wildly inflated.

Or, you could learn to shoot with that bbl, which is probably either Full or Modified choke.Some patterning could show just what shells work at what ranges,and careful selection can either open or tighten pattern size.

Of course,all depends on its use environment so maybe a bit more description of just what you want it to do may be in order.

Hope this helps...
Old July 26, 2000, 07:53 AM   #3
JNewell

Actually, I don't recall exactly, but last time I looked at the "factory list" prices on Remington barrels, I was shocked. I see them new for anywhere from US$100-175 or so, depending alot on what it is and how motivated the seller is. So, I'm guessing that a MSRP in the mid-$300s is not unlikely. Add tariffs, etc., and $400 doesn't sound implausible. This suggests that perhaps you can do substantially better if you can locate a discount retail source for barrels. Also, in the US it is very common to find barrels used, either at a gun store or in a sporting goods publication's classified ads. If there are such sources in SA, it might be worth investigating. Good luck.
Old July 26, 2000, 08:13 AM   #4
raggiejack

Import duty run at a round 33%.

I bought the shotgun primarily because it was in such good condition, aiming to use it as a warthog/bushpig gun.

After my post to you guys I spoke to Firearms Control in Pretoria, and found that I can import the bbl myself (a lot of red tape) but can be done.

$ 175.00 + 33% = $ 232.75

Less than $285.00 for the tooling and far less than $400.00

My wife's uncle stays in Bakersfield CA.
He will bring the bbl for me on the next visit.
Thinking that I will reduced the current bbl to 18" for HD use.

Thank you for the response and feedback

Regards Jacques

P.S. How does Cabela's pricing compare to other retailers.
Old July 26, 2000, 11:16 AM   #5
JNewell

I am speaking without actually comparing them, but on the whole Cabela's prices range from pretty good to excellent.

If you want an on-line price check, you could go to www.midwayusa.com. Their catalog has to be downloaded/viewed via Acrobat, but presumably that isn't a problem. It always crashes my computer when I try to view it in the browser; I have had better luck downloading the .pdf file and opening it off-line in Acrobat.

Anyway, that'll give you some sense of Cabela's pricing, and if Midway is cheaper, they can order from there for you. BTW, Cabela's is also on line (www.cabelas.com, I think).

[fixed bad url -- JN]

[This message has been edited by JNewell (edited July 26, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by JNewell (edited July 26, 2000).]