The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 23, 2013, 10:06 PM   #1
sigcurious

F-Class: Set Up For a Beginner?

I was looking at participating in the monthly F-class shoots at one of the local clubs, and I am hoping to get some suggestions and input. I don't need to be competitive with anyone but myself.

With that in mind would a rem 700 or savage series 12 be a good starting point? What other rifles might be suitable that I should be looking at?(I'd prefer to stick with .223 or .308 chambering as to be able to participate in both the TR and open events) Then optics as I understand it, the skys the limit under the rules, but I'd like to stick with something basic and inexpensive. Suggestions?

Again, I'm not looking to set any records or win any matches. I just figured it would be a good way to get involved in another aspect of shooting and have some fun. All together I'd like to keep things under $1000 if possible.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:31 PM   #2
Murauder

Well I've heard a lot of good things about savages. Probably want a heavy barrel huh? Also consider marlins X series rifles. Been thinking of a marlin XS7 varmint in 223 myself. 26" heavy barrel and an adjustable trigger for under 400 bucks.

If you want to go custom I'd suggest a stevens 200.
From there you can replace the stock, barrel, and trigger and have a more customized rifle.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:10 PM   #3
highbrow

Just take your deer rifle and have fun.

There are some corners of this country which have bred the most terrible things, things that act against everything we believe in. They must be fought. FBHO- Free Edward Snowden
Old January 24, 2013, 12:20 PM   #4
sigcurious

If I had a deer rifle I would.
Old January 24, 2013, 04:56 PM   #5
Erno86

May I suggest that you buy a single shot bolt gun from Savage --- It has a more accurate solid receiver --- where the magwell should be.

Check out: Sinclair's F-Class bipod
Old January 24, 2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Jim Watson

At what ranges?

I have shot F-T/R with a .223 set up for the purpose. It is great to 600 but not much at 1000, no matter what the charts say about the BC of a 90 gr .224".

A .308 would be more versatile. You COULD shoot it in Open but would be way behind the curve, concentrate on F-T/R.

You are a proficient handloader, aren't you?
Old January 24, 2013, 08:20 PM   #7
sigcurious

Out to 600. They have 1000 matches also at the club but I figure it's going to take enough practice to get proficient at 600, 1000 is a ways off for me.

I was leaning towards .308 for two additional reasons beyond the TR/Open utility , it gets pretty windy out here in the desert from time to time, and there was .308 in stock around town. Unfortunately some looking around today indicates the buying madness has now snapped up all the .308 too.

I am a reloader, somewhere in the novice and getting better range. What ever I get I'd start loading for but would like to start with factory ammo and build up some brass( I do already have plenty of .223 brass though). I need to run by another shop that carries components, right now primers seem to be the weak link everywhere I go.

I'm not so concerned with being behind the curve in open, I'm ok with the idea of getting whooped by the others, as long as I'm improving.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:24 PM   #8
bamaranger

F-T/R

Trying to get the average "deer rifle" to 1000, with a typical hunting scope will lead to nothing but wasted ammo and frustration. And you may find you do not have enough elevation to even get on target with the old 3-9x40 as well, much less dial in windage correction as necessary.

Buying or building a heavy barrel Savage is good advice. For optics (as much of the equation as anything) you need externally adjustable turrets and ideally parallex adjustment as well. The sky is the limit on optics. One of the new Weaver T series or a hi X target Sightron would be as low as I would go on price. Without match grade ammo you will be frustrated as well. You can buy it and hope your rilfle likes it. Or you can become a match grade ammo loader and load to suit your rifle. Loading to match standards will teach you plenty, and lead to more reloading gear too!
Old January 25, 2013, 12:23 AM   #9
sigcurious

I haven't been able to find a savage to handle yet, all the savages I've seen have been other series than the 10 or 12 series. I'd really like to handle a 10 FP-SR and/or a FCP-K. Hopefully tomorrow will be more fruitful. Looking around today, finding a rifle shouldn't be an issue, finding ammo or components to feed it...well that's another story.
Old January 25, 2013, 05:40 PM   #10
sigcurious

I jumped in!
Found and bought a used savage series 12 in .308. Not exactly sure what variant it is(pretty sure its a 12bvss), but it has a laminated wood stock, stainless barrel with light fluting. I stopped in one shop they had just got more .308 ammo in stock, so I bought that...then I went to another shop, and there the rifle was along with a shelf full of .308 ammo...I took it as a sign that it was time to buy.

Last edited by sigcurious; January 25, 2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:37 PM   #11
Tim R

I too have thought about F class and already have the rifle and scope, just need to get off my a ah er rump.

Remington 308 LTR with 30 mm dia Leopold target scope. I've shot this rifle at a any rifle any sight 600 yard match. Did OK but using the bi pod would have been better.

Having good glass is important. Shooting 600 yards is not at all like shooting at 1 or even 200 yards. If it's a calm day, then it’s not too big of deal. A puff of wind comes along and suddenly you just shot the target next to you. Not saying you need to spend $1k but good glass isn't going to be found on your deer rifle. Buy once, buy smart.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:03 PM   #12
Tim R

Another thought I have is do you have any F class buddies you can talk to and show you the ropes? I would hate to see you spend money on things like ammo which won't get the job done for you.

Please don't take this the wrong way. It's not intended to belittle you or anything like that. In fact it appears you are a hard charging guy with a goal in mind. We need more people like you.

There have been more times than I would like to count where a newbie would show up at a high power match with a brand new rifle and ammo. He is expecting to hold his own against match tuned AR’s with proper twist for heavy 223 bullets. His rifle has the wrong twist and his ammo won’t shoot straight at 300 yards let alone 600 yards. He walks away defeated and even with the gentle old timers’ advice on how to overcome his equipment short comings walks away and never returns. He spent a boat load of money and now he has to spend more. You don't have to have the best equipment, just the right equipment.

Your rifle should work out just fine but I would strongly suggest finding someone to help you out so you don’t become frustrated. I’ve found most shooters like to talk about their equipment. Now if you are already doing this then just tell me to shut up. Best.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:39 PM   #13
sigcurious

No one in particular yet, but there are a lot of LR guys who help noobs like me around here. As I said earlier, I'm not looking to win any matches or anything, just have some fun and improve another aspect of my shooting.
Old January 26, 2013, 05:13 PM   #14
tobnpr

Team Savage, armed with bone-stock model 12's, helped Team USA win the F-TR World Championship a few years ago.

'Nuff said, about the Savage Model 12?

It's not only a good starting point, it'll win you matches if you can shoot as good as the rifle.