The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Tmitch

Hodgdon International Clays powder

Can Hodgdon International Clays powder be used as a pistol powder? I reload 44 Mag, 45 ACP, 45 AR, 380 Auto.
Old February 20, 2014, 03:19 PM   #2
BigJimP

I don't know of any published handgun loads using International..../ it was designed as a 12ga and 20ga powder.
Old February 20, 2014, 06:08 PM   #3
LE-28

I don't think Hodgdon's recommends International for loading any pistol caliber. Strictly shotguns, 12 and 20 according to their website.

You really should be calling them and following their recommendations.
Old February 20, 2014, 06:27 PM   #4
zxcvbob

It works very well in light "cowboy" and target-wadcutter loads. Good luck finding data for it (hint: Hodgdon used to publish CAS data for International in .38 Special)

If you have the powder already and keep it under... I don't know... 20000 psi, it works great. Just like Green Dot but cleaner and it measures easier. Go too high with it, and it gets "spiky".

If you don't have the powder yet and are just curious, buy Green Dot or Titegroup instead. They are all the same within the narrow band where International works.
Old February 20, 2014, 06:54 PM   #5
Sid

I received a notice yesterday that Midway has Tightgroup in stock.
Old February 20, 2014, 07:33 PM   #6
totaldla

It can and I have. I don't think Hodgdon even sells it anymore. There are certainly better powders for pistol, but in these times of scarcity I can hardly blame a fella for experimenting. The only warning I can pass along is that it is temp sensitive enough that your summer time "plinkers" (45acp) can squib on you in the winter - regardless of primer.
Old February 24, 2014, 09:41 PM   #7
Tmitch

Hodgdon International Clays powder

I traded that can off for a can of Titegroup. I that is a pistol powder.

Tmitch
Old February 24, 2014, 09:56 PM   #8
steveNChunter

Quote:
I traded that can off for a can of Titegroup. I that is a pistol powder.

Tmitch
I use titegroup to load for my .45 acp. It gives decent velocity, stains the cases but is otherwise pretty clean, and it's very accurate for me. The only thing to watch out for is that it's a pretty fast powder and has a rather small window between min. and max. loads. Follow published data, start low and work up in small increments. It should work for .380 as well, but my only experience is with .45 acp
Old February 25, 2014, 12:14 PM   #9
AlaskaMike

Heh. We certainly wouldn't want to try to use shotgun powder in pistol loads. Lord knows that's never been done before!

Old February 26, 2014, 08:08 AM   #10
Salmoneye

Quote:
Heh. We certainly wouldn't want to try to use shotgun powder in pistol loads. Lord knows that's never been done before!
Shhhh...

More Red Dot for me...

Old February 26, 2014, 09:23 PM   #11
steveNChunter

I love using Clays for light 230 gr .45 acp loads. Very clean, accurate, light recoil, just don't tell my pistol that it's a shotgun powder

But the Clays I'm referring to is not the international clays. Just plain ole Clays. Whoever named those two powders so similarly shouldve been fired.
Old February 27, 2014, 07:33 AM   #12
mnoirot64

One of my favorite pistol powders was designed as a shotgun powder - Hodgdon Longshot. It works quite well for me in 45 ACP and there is data for 40 also.
Old February 27, 2014, 08:02 AM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

SteveNCruncher,

It's three. Clays, International Clays, and Universal Clays. Really dumb naming convention, so most people call them Clays, International, and Universal. Universal is an excellent pistol powder, being between Bullseye and Unique in load levels in most cartridge and bullet combinations. Much cleaner burning and better metering than either. Clays comes closest to Vihtavuori N310 in terms of the small loads.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 27, 2014, 09:09 AM   #14
steveNChunter

I wonder how many new reloaders have made the mistake of getting the data/powder mismatched between those three. The results could be catastrophic
Old February 27, 2014, 10:01 AM   #15
kerreckt

I used International Clays for 9mm loads a number of years ago. I can't remember the exact details of the loads because I didn't write them down. The fact that I didn't write it down means that I was not impressed with its performance. Sorry, I can't share any particulars but I believe there are better powders to use. Such as plain old Clays and Titegroup to name a couple. Best wishes
Old February 27, 2014, 10:39 AM   #16
zxcvbob

International worked very well for me in .380 when I tried it. Cast bullets and about 3 grains of powder, worked up cautiously. But I wouldn't buy more of it for that unless it was all I could find. Distributor (Hodgdon) saying don't use our product in handgun loads is a pretty strong warning.
Old February 27, 2014, 11:05 AM   #17
pete2

International could replace all the pistol/shotgun powders I use if they would publish pistol/rev. loads for it. That's the reason they don't I guess. I've been toying with the Idea of using only Green Dot for shotgun and hand gun. Green Dot will load both 20 and 12 ga. and will load all the handguns I use except for the few magnum loads I shoot and a can of 2400 or H110 will last me a life time in the mags.
Old February 27, 2014, 01:34 PM   #18
BigJimP

Hodgdon Universal ...is a better all around powder for handguns than International, in my view ( and its better in both 20ga and 28ga shotshells too, in my opinion ).
Old February 27, 2014, 03:16 PM   #19
NoSecondBest

I have some older Hodgdon booklets for using Clays powder for reloading. They do not list any loads for International Clays. They have several loads for Universal Clays. From my own experience, Universal Clays never worked out well in any of my handgun loads. It went bang but never provided good groups with any of my guns. I tried a lot of it back then because I was getting all I wanted for free. Worked well in the shotgun but not in the handgun.
Old March 5, 2014, 11:13 AM   #20
Unclenick
Staff

That surprises me greatly. I've found that, basically, anything I could do with Unique I could do with Universal, and it burns cleaner, to boot. It's slower than Bullseye and 231, the most common target load powders, so it's pressure would run low and its burn would be less complete if you tried it for target velocities, but I've run probably 20,000 rounds of ball level .45 Auto loads with it that have been quite satisfactory.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 5, 2014, 11:55 AM   #21
schmellba99

Universal Clays is my favorite pistol powder, followed by Unique. It is probably one of the best all around powders there is on the market (when you can find it).

You could almost get away with having 2 powders on your shelf and cover most of the spectrum of normal calibers - Universal (or Unique) for pistol and shotgun and Varget for rifle.