The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 20, 2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Roland Thunder

Carry on church property in NC

I was checking the law in NC at this website http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf to determine what the law is regarding carrying a gun on church property in NC. I have no intention of taking the gun inside the church building but was intending on leaving it in my car. I am traveling and have no place to put it beside the car.

Is it OK to have it on church property so long as it is in the car.
Old October 20, 2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

According to Handgunlaw, churches are not specifically off-limits, unless posted. However, schools ARE off-limits, both public or private, including the grounds. Handgunlaw provides a link to the statutes -- you would have to do some digging to figure out whether or not a Sunday school would be considered a "school" in the context of firearms carry.

If the church is a Catholic or other church that also operates a full school during the week, then there's probably no question it would be a "school" under the purview of the statute.
Old October 20, 2013, 09:33 AM   #3
spacecoast

I don't see any church-related prohibition in the link you provided. I carry at church on a regular basis (Florida). It's not going to be of much use in the car.
Old October 20, 2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Evan Thomas

Do you have a carry permit that's recognized in NC? If you do, you're allowed to keep the handgun in a closed container in a locked car even on school property. (G.S. 14-269 in the document you linked.)
Old October 20, 2013, 10:08 AM   #5
Pahoo

Why not and your call !!

Quote:
I have no intention of taking the gun inside the church building but was intending on leaving it in my car
I respect that this is a personal choice but if I may, why would you not consider taking it in? I have heard this before and lately found out that our pastor has started carrying his during services. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 20, 2013, 12:53 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanya
Do you have a carry permit that's recognized in NC? If you do, you're allowed to keep the handgun in a closed container in a locked car even on school property. (G.S. 14-269 in the document you linked.)
Vanya, could you provide a more specific citation? I just reviewed the first four sections of 14-269 and I do NOT see any exemption for concealed carry permit holders, other than retired LEOs. All I see is a reduction from a felony offense to a misdemeanor if the firearm is unloaded AND in a locked container.
Old October 20, 2013, 01:28 PM   #7
Fishing_Cabin

Aguila,

Don't know what Vanya saw, but I just double checked and it is still listed as a misdemeanor in 14-269.2(f) (3). I know there has been discussion on changing this, but best of my knowledge nothing has come down the pipe yet.

Cheers!
Old October 20, 2013, 02:05 PM   #8
Gary Slider

Carry in a Church is not against any NC Law. If they post it then yes. If there is a school Pre-school, K-12 or even a College or University in the Church then it would be considered school property in my opinion as the law state public or private. I do not think a Sunday School would make it a school under state law.

NC laws just changed. Attached is a PDF of the bill passed and signed that shows you can store your firearm in a vehicle on school property if you have a carry permit/license. They have not updated their statutes with the new law yet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NC New Law.pdf (163.0 KB, 47 views)
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old October 20, 2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
Vanya, could you provide a more specific citation?
Here's the relevant section from page 2 of the PDF linked in the OP. The last paragraph deals with exemptions.
Quote:
Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License
  • Schools, public or private, all levels including universities. A curricular or extracurricular activity sponsored by a school. This also applies to all property owned by any school. §14-269.2
  • State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western Residence of the Governor, or on the grounds of any of these buildings, and any building housing any court of the General Court of Justice. §14-269.4
  • State office buildings or any portion of a building in which there’re State offices. §14-415.11
  • Law Enforcement or Correctional Facilities. §14-415.11
  • Events Occurring in Public: It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. §14 - 277.2
  • On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. §14-415.11
*** G.S. 14-269
This prohibition does not apply to a person who has a concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, has a concealed handgun permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24, or is exempt from obtaining a permit pursuant to G.S. 14-415.25, provided the weapon is a handgun, is in a closed compartment or container within the person's locked vehicle, and the vehicle is in a parking area that is owned or leased by State government. A person may unlock the vehicle to enter or exit the vehicle, provided the handgun remains in the closed compartment at all times and the vehicle is locked immediately following the entrance or exit.
G.S. 14-415.24 covers reciprocity between NC and other states.
Old October 20, 2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Fishing_Cabin

Thanks Gary and Vanya.

Had not seen the update before.
Old October 21, 2013, 06:15 PM   #11
Warrior1256

I carry in my church and the pastor has no problem with it.
Old October 21, 2013, 07:02 PM   #12
Gary Slider

Want to add this. The NC AG is stating this on his website now. It just showed up yesterday.

http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/19be6294...ciprocity.aspx

He states this for Private School Parking areas:

*Effective October 1, 2013, unless prohibited by a private school, a concealed handgun permittee may store a handgun in the person’s locked vehicle or in a locked container securely fixed to the person’s vehicle while on campus. It may NOT be carried on the person.

Also this info will be added to the NC Page at www.handgunlaw.us late Thursday or early Friday.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

Last edited by Gary Slider; October 21, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old October 22, 2013, 11:30 PM   #13
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slider
I do not think a Sunday School would make it a school under state law.
North Carolina General Statutes § 14-269.2.(1b) related to weapons on educational property has the following circular definition: "School. - A public or private school, community college, college, or university."

While I can find no comprehensive, singular definition of "school" in North Carolina law, Chapter 115C - Elementary and Secondary Education, requires compulsory attendance at "all public schools and any nonpublic schools which have teachers and curricula that are approved by the State Board of Education." Sunday School attendance is certainly not compulsory, nor is the religious training involved in Sunday School approved by the state.
Old October 24, 2013, 12:29 PM   #14
spacecoast

That's all we need - the state getting involved in regulating Sunday School...