The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 2, 2009, 09:12 AM   #1
muddinman_04

1865 Spencer Carbine

Just thought I would share a couple pictures of the 1865 Spencer Carbine I picked up this last weekend. I traded an old Russian SVT40 I had for it.
It appears to be all original, but the rear sight has been changed to a buckhorn style sight. However, the action is very tight with no broken or missing parts.

Enjoy:

Old October 2, 2009, 06:20 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Not a bad deal, IMO. www.dixiegunworks.com has repro rear sights that may require fitting. Also check www.ssfirearms.com, as they had some original Spencer parts (I don't know about sights).

Jim
Old October 2, 2009, 07:53 PM   #3
30-30remchester

Nice piece of history you have there. I dont see a Stabler cutoff so am guessing this is a civilian model. Look carefully for very tiny very lightly struck cartouches on the buttstock. Also a conversion kit is avalible to convert this to the 56-50 centerfire which is avalible as loaded rounds or there is handloading componants. This conversion can be done in minutes and does not alter your originial firearm.