The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 28, 2006, 12:46 PM   #1
smooks75

Moss 500 8-shot

I can't find any referance to any additional barrels for this model. Do I have to buy the 5 shot version for barrel changes??? Any help would be great. Thanks everyone.....this is my first post!
Old June 28, 2006, 01:42 PM   #2
rugerdude

I'm no expert, but I've certainly never seen any extra barrels (as far as slug barrels and full length rib barrels) for the 8 shot model.

However, barrels are plentiful for the 6 shot model, and you're only sacraficing 2 shells for the versatility that you can get from being able to buy slug, rib and I believe there's even a blackpowder rifle barrel.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old June 28, 2006, 08:45 PM   #3
mtnboomer

Check 590 barrels, they may be what you're looking for.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old June 29, 2006, 03:34 AM   #4
rugerdude

The 8-shot M500 is NOT a 590, the barrel attaches a completely different way and 590 barrels will not fit the 8 shot 500 or vice versa.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old June 29, 2006, 01:13 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

Here's the problem with Mossberg Model 500 barrel's and magazine lengths.

The Mossberg barrel has a lug with a finger screw that screws into the end of the magazine tube.
The 5 shot models have the lug attached closer to the rear of the barrel, and the 8 shot models attach farther forward.

Because of this, you MUST buy a barrel to fit whichever length of magazine tube is installed in the receiver.

You CANNOT put a barrel made for a 5 shot gun on an 8 shot receiver, and you can't put a barrel made for a 8 shot gun on an 5 shot receiver.

What you can do, is buy a new longer or shorter magazine tube and barrel, and install them on your gun.
Due to the expense, most people just buy the gun already set up with the magazine capacity they want.

Another problem is, the 8 shot guns are pure defense guns, not sporting, so Mossberg doesn't make much in the way of longer barrels for it.

Last, the Mossberg Models 590 and 590-A1 have a TOTALLY different barrel system.
This system is a close copy of the Remington 870 barrel mounting system.
Barrels will NOT interchange between the Model 500 and the 590 and 590-A1.

So your options are:
Live with what you've got, or buy or trade for a different gun with the barrel and magazine length you want.

Buy a new shorter magazine tube and a longer sporting barrel to work with the new tube.
Old June 29, 2006, 02:47 PM   #6
smooks75

Thank you!

I had thought as much. I bought the 8 shot model strictly for defense of home and harth. I also bought...6 months ago...a new Rem 870 HD 7shot. I love them both. I now have 1-single shot, 1-double barrell, 1-outo(Rem 11-48-I love it to) and 2 pumps. I guess I'll have to buy another Moss. 500 in the 5 shot version! Just another guy with that nasty old sickness of "not enough guns"! Thank you all and keep shooting!