The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2009, 11:31 PM   #1
MDS

Case dents

After some trial and error. I have some .223 cases with dents on the shoulder. Are these usable?
Old April 10, 2009, 12:21 AM   #2
hardhit

I assume that your resizing these cases?

If so, your using to much lube on the case the die is compressing the lube causing these dents.
All that is needed is a super light film on there no more..and they should be ok to shoot.
Old April 10, 2009, 08:39 AM   #3
ericswan_1

i had the same prob when i started 6 months ago. ditto on the to much loob. i have a handfull of 223 that i shoot with little dents on the shoulder. I have never had any trouble with them, for accuracy or any signs of high preasure. I think as long as your not at a redline load you will be fine. both my 223 loads i shoot are right in the middle of the load data. hope this helps

Eric
Old April 10, 2009, 09:02 AM   #4
dlb435

223 out of an AR-15 often get little dents on them from the ejection. If the dents are small and I can resize the case, I use them. No problems so far.
Old April 10, 2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

shoulder "dents" are from too much lube during sizing... normally the dented cases are still safe to shoot, & the dents will normally fireform out of the cases when they are fired the next time... just don't use as much lube on the next resizing

the only time you wouldn't want to use them is for serious target shooting ( again, they'd be fine after fireforming the dents back out ), or if the dent is severe enough to damage the trueness of the case mouth, or are so deep, that they effect more than a % or two of the case capacity... ( even though they reduce the case capacity, "nomally" the increased pressure of a reduced capacity case caused by a dented case is nil, because the brass easily moves back to the dimensions of the chamber, long befoe the pressure gets anywhere near high enough to be a problem...
Old April 10, 2009, 09:54 AM   #6
MDS

Sorry, I should have given more info. Yes they are from too much lube. Good to know I can still use em.
Old April 10, 2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Peak pressure in any rifle that makes enough pressure to stretch a case is going to depend on the volume of the case after pressure expands it out into the chamber, not the sized volume. It only takes about 12,000 psi to get the case out against the walls, so it happens before the pressure peak is reached. As suggested earlier, you may not want to use these cases for match shooting because the dent may throw the neck slightly out of line with the bore, which can open groups up by as much as an moa, though the exact number depends on the bullet and chamber shapes. But as to shooting them, they don't need any special consideration. They will just fireform back out to fill the chamber.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle