The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 19, 2001, 11:28 AM   #1
LASur5r

Practice against knives--ma's?

How many of you in your chosen school of martial arts, actively practice against knives?

Could you name the type of martial art and the type of practice? Rubber knives? Full disarms and/or takedowns?

Walkthroughs? Full force attacks?
Old November 19, 2001, 02:17 PM   #2
Mort

I do Filipino arts. We (the guys I work with) tend to do a lot of knife-on-knife, as well as some empty hand vs. knife. Drills (6 and 10-count, punyo sumbrada, hubud, other stuff) and all-out sparring at times.

Disarms are taught as well, but so much of the extra stuff that you must throw into empty hand vs. knife to make it work is hard to reproduce in a training setting, such as breaks, eye gouges and guntings at full power.

For trainers, we tend to use wood, resin or hard rubber. Floppy rubber doesn't really work like a knife. Also, we have well-blunted cheapo folders. You can work on deployment from carry this way, and the flash of steel makes it all seem a bit more...urgent.

As the night progresses, attack and counter speed tends to increase. Some nights are crazier than others. I can never get enough craziness, as it happens.
Old November 19, 2001, 07:43 PM   #3
gryphon

I practice Shotokan, Hapkido, and a little Judo. Everything you listed we do/have done/and probably will do. Another thing that I find useful is training on how to use a knife. It helps give you a little insight on what mighty happen and what to do after you disarm.

I think the best thing to to is to make it as realistic as possible. If you can do that, then you will do well.
Old November 20, 2001, 11:29 AM   #4
jthuang

At Insights' DFK 1/2 we used foam knives cut to resemble Delicas on the knife-on-knife stuff. Injury potential is less than a rubber knife.

I have one of Spyderco's "training" Delicas which is useful for solo practice. Basically a rounded and dulled steel blade in a red Delica handle. I've sliced my hand a few times training solo with "live" Delicas so these training Delicas are a good idea.

Justin