The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2014, 04:12 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

any thoughts on more obsolite cartridges...

so 1st & foremost I'm a reloader... & for quite a few different calibers... some calibers, for like 7 X 57 Prvi make pretty cheap loaded ammo in brass cases & boxer primed... finding new brass is pretty tough... I'd like to accumulate about 500 cases for my rifle... I could scrounge, & get a couple handfulls of non matching brass, as it becomes available... or I could get a bunch of once fired cases, after I fire them the 1st time... Prvi brass may not be as good as some others out there, but seems like a logical way to get 500 matching cases...

6.5 Carcano looks like Norma ammo is available, brass isn't... don't need 500 of those, but again, I see advantages to matching brass...

anyone else doing this... what cartridge, & what brand ( if you have already gotten all you need, so someone else doesn't get the same idea & buy out your supply, before you get what you need... )

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; June 5, 2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old June 4, 2014, 04:50 PM   #2
Paul B.

On that Privi 7x57 brass, I've heard mainly only good comments about it.
I have a fair supply of Remington and Winchester 7x57 brass. Just have to find the time and componentgs to get them loaded up.
Paul B.
Old June 5, 2014, 08:33 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

my main goal here, it to be able to avoid the 30 cases each of 5 different brands of brass on any of my chamberings... however on odd calibers right now ( like 6.5 Arisaka, for example, I'm happy to just have 200 cases to load, no matter the brand ) but my eventual goal, is to have one brand for each gun's chambering... I'm happy having 2 brands or 3 brands of cases, in instances where I might have 2 or 3 fire arms in the same caliber, but I want to get to the point, that whatever I think I need to have for each gun, are all the same brand... just for accuracy reasons... nothing to do with my mild OCD
Old June 5, 2014, 09:45 AM   #4
Jimro

The preferred method is of course to get a lot of matching brass.

Although I'm not sure you really need 500, unless you plan to shoot that 7x57 a lot. I set up a Swede for vintage sniper competition, but I just bot a 50 count bag of brass when they were on the shelf, and built up my stock that way. I think I have 250 6.5x55 cases on hand at this point.

Jimro
Old June 5, 2014, 10:23 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

ya... I only have like 80 -100 - 7X57, 20 or 40 Remington cases, & 40 or 60 Prvi cases... can't get Remington cases right now, hence me thinking about buying the Prvi ammo, but it's in a group of rifles I plan on shooting a lot in the future, so I'm thinking 500 cases will make all last longer, & give me more shooting between reloading sessions...

I'm running into a little of the same thing with 6.8 SPC, I have my custom bolt action, & a Contender, & have 2 kinds of brass... I'd like 500 cases of one brand for the bolt action, & a couple 100 for the Contender... of course one has large primers, & one has small primers... I can get R-P cases right now, but the SSA cases not so much... but there are lots of Federal cases available... so I have some decisions there too
Old June 5, 2014, 02:23 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

fresh start; only my mistakes

When I'm serious about a cartridge, I've ALWAYS found new cases.
Old June 6, 2014, 05:02 AM   #7
zeke

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...ategoryId/731?
Old June 6, 2014, 07:09 AM   #8
chiefr

I have found it to be expensive or near impossible to use one brand.
IMHO, PRVI is dam good brass, It gives me more reloads than ALL domestic brass. The only stuff that tops PRVI is Norma and Lapua.

I use PRVI in 8Lebel, both Carcanos, 7&8mm, 7.63Mauser, 7 French and much more.

The scarcity of such rounds mentioned has also forced me to manufacture my own cases mostly from 30-06 brass. I have never been a fan of making my own as the process is slow, but if you want to shoot milsurps you have no choice.

On the 6.5 Carcano, keep in mind PRVI uses .264 bullets, while the Carcano was designed to shoot .268. As bores vary, some Carcanos will work with .264, while others will not.
Old June 6, 2014, 08:20 AM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the reply's guys... & thanks for the Graffs link... I've shopped there before, but seem like I buy most from Midway, so sometimes I get a little tunnel vision... was surprised how much more Graffs had in stock, than Midway right now... still on some cartridges, that you wouldn't think would be that tough... 22 hornet ( almost non existant ), 25 -06 ( even Graffs only have one brand in stock ) it's still tough to fill out the allotted ammo space for each rifle...

CHIEF... as a contender shooter, I find myself making a lot of cases myself as well... in fact last night, I was sorting through some milsurp 223 cases, & thinking about parting with some that I don't have large quantities of the same head stamp... at least until I looked at my Contender cartridge shelf, & noticed I have less than 50 of the 6 X 45... so I'm wet tumbling a 150 lot of those 223 cases, will anneal the mouths, & reform them to 6 X 45... a lot of this odd stuff, we inherited from MRS dad when he died, & sorting was a major pain, since I couldn't rely on headstamps... so I've started knurling & then flattening ( to obliterate ) the head stamps on reformed cases... as it is, I was just thinking ( after looking at the Contender ammo shelf ) that I don't have any "known" 30 Herret, & lots of 30-30... got 30 Herret dies... I'm betting I put 30 Herret in the 30-30 stuff when I sorted that years ago

so another thing to do while I'm thinking of it
Old June 6, 2014, 10:51 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

Prvi rifle brass is pretty decent. I'd have no problem stocking up on it.
Old June 6, 2014, 08:30 PM   #11
zeke

just received 500 of the prvi 6.55 x 55 cases. Look very uniform and have the European wider dia at base.

Graph's also has prvi 30-30 brass, got 500 of them also. Been kinda tough to find 30-30 brass lately.

The Graph's listed price is a little more, but shipping is free.
Old June 7, 2014, 06:06 PM   #12
kilimanjaro

I bought 500 Prvi 7.62x54r just for the brass. Don't have to run corrosive surplus in my 9 Mosin rifles, makes me feel better.
Old June 9, 2014, 06:30 AM   #13
Magnum Wheel Man

BTW... on the 30-30 / 30 Herret issue... nope no chance of mixing those 2 up, even though the 30 Herret uses 30-30 cases, the body is about 3/8" shorter, then the neck is trimmed that much as well, they don't look remotely close ( had to pull out my Contender load book to check, after I mentioned it ) I made up one case, just to see... nope, no way I'd corn fuse those... easy to form... I have to assume my FIL just never made up cases & shot that barrel ???

anyway, talking to my old reloading mentor, ( he just built a single shot 30 Herret rifle ), I want to use R-P cases for reforming, so I don't need to thin the necks... so... I went through my 30-30 cases ( nope, don't have enough of those either ) sort out between my Winchester, my Martini, my Contender barrel, & reform to 30 Herret... Winche4ster cases to the Winchester rifle, some Super X to the Contender barrel, Federal to the Martini, & the R-P to reform to 30 Herret... looks like I actually need a lot of 30-30 cases too

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; June 9, 2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old June 9, 2014, 10:14 AM   #14
Jim243

I really don't like Winchester White Box but I will buy it just to get the brass I need, did that for 7.62x39 cases when I could not find just the cases on the shelf.

But I only have to do that once.

Jim
Old June 9, 2014, 01:02 PM   #15
WESHOOT2

(I've had to buy loaded cartridges just so I can pull and reuse the bullets.)
Old June 18, 2014, 06:15 AM   #16
Magnum Wheel Man

Well from the positive comments on Prvi brass, I'm ordering several hard to get calibers of that...

Butt... looks like I'm buying bulk packs of Remington 17 Fireball ammo, & pulling bullets ( because they come with 25 grain, & I'm sighted in for 20 grain )... as 17 Fireball brass is nearly non existent... ( wish I had bought more a couple years ago, when Track of the Wolf had ammo cans of brass for sale at the gun shows ) the last 2 years they've had none, or just boxes of 50, & of course no 17 Fireball... I had planned to really wring out that rifle this summer, but only have 250 new cases, & about 60 premium factory loads... looks like buying the bulk packs ( which are still hard enough / reads expensive ) to buy, just to get some more Remington cases