The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 6, 2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

Sig 1911 TTT Range Review

All 1911's need custom gunsmith work out of the box to work reliably. 1911′s have an ill-deserved reputation for being picky about feeding ammunition “out of the box” And so most believe in the 1911 community that the first thing one must do with a new 1911 is to send it off to a gunsmith for expensive reliability tuning. In fact with the proper ammunition, .45ACP 230gr FMJ hardball most any 1911 on the market today would be capable of high reliability and 2.5" groups at 25 yards out of the box in my humble opinion. A .45 ACP has so much knock down power it will knock an assailant clean off his feet with one shot. Though the .45ACP delivers plenty of energy to its intended target shot placement is most important. With advance technology in bullet construction even 9mm is capable of stopping a violent attacker with one well-placed shot. I grew up hearing many stories and myths like these above and there are many more myths floating around about the 1911 but one thing that's certainly undeniable is its notorious status. The 1911 are over 100 years old and continue to be a highly respected reliable and tactical weapon. In the right gunsmith hands a 1911 would be capable of .5" groups at 50 yards. Sig Sauer has been around since 1853 but is fairly young to producing 1911’s, which started around 2004 with the Sig GSR lineage. But today I am here to inspect one of Sig's most highly spit and polished 1911's the Sig Sauer 1911 TTT.

Sig 1911 TTT Range Review

Last edited by Mr.RevolverGuy; October 7, 2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old October 6, 2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Skadoosh

aw, jeez...

Last edited by Skadoosh; October 6, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old October 6, 2012, 07:04 PM   #3
Technosavant

As he says, he was recounting many of the "myths" about the 1911 in general.

Personally, I've not met anybody who things a 1911 out of the box should need any custom tuning to work properly... finicky they may be and very dependent on competent assembly when manufactured, but that was the case back in the 70s and maybe early 80s.

Decent review, I've not seen anything about this particular model but I have had a very good experience with my own Sig 1911 Ultra.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Mr.RevolverGuy

Possibly today there aren't many who believes in the gunsmith rule out of the box. But as a young lad I watched my father purchase a colt 1911 and not even leave the store only to have it shipped directly to a gunsmith. Only to wait another 5 months to get it back.
Old October 6, 2012, 10:16 PM   #5
pete2

I expect any gun to function out of the box. If it doesn't the manufacturer screwed up. It happens, the only 1911 i have that didn't work was a Kimber, I had to dimple the slide stop. I don't under stand why but from what I've read this is an old problem with Kimbers. You'd think they'd correct it. I wish I'd put out a few more bucks and bought a Colt. I'll never really adore the Kimber after this experience, it is a good shooter now tho. On a new gun I field strip it and clean it and then I expect it to work, if it doesn't it should go back to the factory for repair. I didn't want the hassle of sending it back. Kimber sent me a modified slide stop but it didn't work.
Old October 6, 2012, 10:19 PM   #6
KyJim

Our readers here have a short attention span.
Old October 6, 2012, 10:23 PM   #7
Mr.RevolverGuy

Lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
Old October 6, 2012, 10:59 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Your experience with the TTT pretty much echoes mine with the XO model. I was very impressed with its reliability and accuracy, and I am one of those folks who remembers the days when stock 1911's did need a trip or two to the gunsmith before they were "ready."