The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 17, 2012, 10:39 AM   #1
markstop50

870 WINGMASTER 28 ga

I have a chance to buy a Rem. 870 Wingmaster 28ga. 2 bbls, full & ic, vet rib, extra youth stk, that needs refinishing, mec reloader, some once fired hulls, & barrel weight that makes the gun swing like a 12 ga.
Is there anything that I should be concerned about like the action being loose or wore out especially with the bbl weight, does that tell me that the gun was used alot at trap and skeet range. It is offered for sale not by the original owner.
Asking price is $700.00 any advice would be welcome !

Thanks Mark
Old January 17, 2012, 10:45 AM   #2
kraigwy

If the action functions at all, I think its a good deal.

I use to have a 4 gun set of 870 skeet guns, 12, 20, 28 & 410. plus Mec 600 JRs for each. They were great and I shot them enough they were "loose" but still shot great.

I still have my 12 & 20 but got rid of the other two when I quit shooting skeet. The 410 was a pain to load for, the 28 was fine.

I wished I'd keep the 28, it was a sweet little shooter, would be great for quail or similar game birds.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 17, 2012, 11:21 AM   #3
zippy13

It couldn't hurt to have it evaluated by a gunsmith. If you're a proficient shooter, the 28-ga makes a great small bird gun and it's easy to tote. For Skeet, a pump 28-ga would be my last choice. I haven't priced one in a while, but $700 seems high.
Old January 17, 2012, 11:31 AM   #4
BigJimP

28ga - even in a pump gun - seems to be demanding a premium in my area ...but only if you want to reload for it ...or its a negative.

I like Zippy's idea of having it evaluated by a good gunsmith unless you're familiar with the gun.

If you're new to shotguns ...I don't know this is your best choice ...depends to some extent on what you want to do with it ? The barrel choked in Full isn't that useful - unless you intend to hunt upland birds with it. The IC choked barrel isn't optimal for Skeet ( its a little too tight ) ....and its way too open for even 16 yd trap.
Old January 17, 2012, 11:59 AM   #5
oneounceload

The full will work great for pheasants and other birds at distance, the IC for those over close-holding dogs. Pump guns can be used successfully in trap and skeet, but in today's competition, most folks opt for the unsingle for trap and the o/u for skeet.

A NEW wingmaster in 28 has a list over 700. For that money, to me, it would come down to the MEC loader - which model? The barrel weights are about $20-30, the hulls, depending on how many, about .012 each.

I am thinking close to 600 might be more in the ball park, but the extra barrel and stock do factor in, so maybe 700 is reasonable.
Old January 17, 2012, 02:46 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Evne if this is someone's old skeet gun and it probably is, with 75K rounds through it, it's far from being worn out.

It's an 870.Run a case a week through it for a few decades more.

28 gauge is fine for stuff smaller than cassowaries and within 30 yards or so.

Heck, BP offers a 28 gauge slug that duplicates the ballistics used by grizzled old mountain men on grizzled old bears.

The 28 reloads quite economically, a blessing when factory loads start off around $12 a box.

Two barrels,two stocks, loader and hulls. Sounds OK to me at $700 but offer him $625 on GPs.....
Old January 17, 2012, 03:04 PM   #7
markstop50

Thanks to all that replied, it will all be taken under consideration. I was wanting to use this 28ga to get the grandkids started, as they are 7 & 8 now, and it will be a couple of years off. I do reload so that will be fun and maybe use on doves. I found a Remington Express, used in 28 ga. does anyone have an idea of what it is worth ? I can't find any on Guns America for a comparison.

Thanks again Mark
Old January 17, 2012, 11:23 PM   #8
olddrum1

Kind of pricey to me. A BPS might be a better choice and just buy the MEC and hulls from the seller unless he's throwing in ten bags of shot.
Old January 17, 2012, 11:24 PM   #9
olddrum1

Pictures help if at all possible. (Barrell weight tells me a well used skeet gun)
Old January 18, 2012, 07:37 AM   #10
Gehrhard

Doesn't sound awful -- sounds like a small investment when you consider you can always resell some or all. How warn out is the magazine tube from working the action (an interesting indicator) and was it reblued? Pass on it if that indicates too much use for you personally to be happy. And remember that 28 ga. is a rich-man's caliber if you are not reloading. I have one friend, multi-thousand dollar Italian shotgun, who still whines about the price of factory 28 every time, the few times, he takes it out every year!
Old January 21, 2012, 10:35 AM   #11
markstop50

Thanks for all the support as I have declined the offer to buy that 28ga shotgun, a lot of my concerns were confirmed through this forum.
Everyone was very helpful.
MARK
Old February 6, 2012, 10:59 AM   #12
markstop50

Now the seller is down to asking $600.00 I told him of my concerns of being well used and said that he has shot it very little in the last 20 yrs. He said it is still very tight, nice little gun. I guess I might rethink his offer. the reloader is a MEC 600 jr. Any thoughts out there ?
Old February 6, 2012, 11:20 AM   #13
oneounceload

Asking 600, offer 550 and if he says OK, take it. You could always ask for a three day non-firing inspection. That would give you time to have your local gunsmith give it a good once over. if he says good to go, keep it
Old February 7, 2012, 06:32 PM   #14
PJR

This sounds like a good deal for all that's included. The spare barrel, reloader, accessories, extra stock would be worth $250-$300 if priced individually. It would be an excellent package to start a young person on particularly with that youth stock. I don't think you would lose money on the deal if you wanted to sell it at a later date.
Old August 14, 2012, 09:35 AM   #15
markstop50

Bought 870 Wingmaster 28 ga.

I decided to buy that 870 28ga. wingmaster found out more about it. It was made in 1991 only shot 3 boxes of shells, meet with the owner while on vacation. We found a problem, while inspecting shotgun just fiddling with forend it released while applying pressure while turned slightly to the left ( counter clockwise ) changed barrels and it did the same, take off the barrel and we couldn't get it to release without using the regular forend lever. We replaced the barrel put in an empty hull fiddled with forend it released about an inch took off safety pulled trigger and it did fire. I think it might be just a minor adjustment but needs to be taken care of. Anyone out there here of this problem and can it be fixed at home or take to compentent gunsmith.