The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 10, 2011, 06:29 PM   #1
BudW

930 SPX owners?

How do you like it?
Old August 10, 2011, 07:11 PM   #2
SteelChickenShooter

At first, I was excited about them and told my dealer I was interested. Then I read more forums about problems.
And then I discovered the same Ghost Ring sights on a different model that I had were not worth a crap. And on one visit to the dealer one guy was actually there returning his to have it sent in to repair the same breakage that I read about online. I told the dealer to get me a CZ-USA model 712 Utility instead.
Old August 10, 2011, 11:15 PM   #3
Carne Frio

Got one a couple of months ago. It shoots fine.
Old August 11, 2011, 09:56 AM   #4
Syntax360

Well enough to pretty much retire my 590. If I shoot a shotgun these days, it's my 930SPX - that sucker never fails to put a smile on my face. The only issue I had was cycling low recoil buckshot early on - it took 100-200 rounds of full power stuff to loosen it up enough to handle low recoil. Great gun at a fair price.
Old August 11, 2011, 10:57 PM   #5
SteelChickenShooter

I wonder if the early accounts of breakage I read about and witnessed have been fixed? If true, I still think it's a neat shotgun and would be interested again if it works better than my first opinion.
Old August 11, 2011, 11:10 PM   #6
shooter_john

LOVE mine... It shoots cheap bulk shells just as well as any "normal" loads. I put a lot of rounds through mine before I had any cleaning related problems. A lot more rounds than I ever thought I would get through it before needing cleaning actually. It is easy on the shoulder, and an all around fun shotgun.
Old August 12, 2011, 11:00 PM   #7
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
930SPX - that sucker never fails to put a smile on my face.
Glad I'm not the only one that feels like that. For once in so many weapons, I feel at the range like Ralphie with his Red Ryder. My SPX is simply so much fun. I've not had any growing pains, either, mine has cycled everything from 00 buck to target loads and has chewed up and spit out everything with equal aplomb. Accurate, too. My smiles are like when I got my GSG-5; though this one's far more expen$ive to shoot, it's just as much fun.
Old August 13, 2011, 08:28 AM   #8
tAKticool

Mine is absolutely amazing and dead nuts reliable, tough as nails. i had to actually change from the Factory Choate +3 EXT for the magazine tube to a +1 BECAuse NJ stupid laws , no semi-auto shotgun with more than 6 rounds. Factory its 8 so ... still it was is AMAZING- I HAVE literally never had a problem/ firing failure etc. I did some basic smarts to it- I broke it down and cleaned it real good and lubed it proper when I bought it instead of "she's a mossberg" and just went to the range. Thats stupid for every and any gun, and i have a trifecta of the 'worlds most reliable' stuff in like Glock, AK, and Mossberg, and seriously Im sure if you were handed the box in middle of war, sure then doint clean just shoot. Otherwise, clean it! So anyway, i cleaned mine good, used about 25 rounds of 00 Buck to 'break it in' before 'breaking it in' - I've heard this is a gfreat practice for shotguns but essential for the m930spx, and the people I read it from I really trust and they also have perfect M930SPX's...so cleaning and mini-nbreaking in with a few magazines of 00buck, it's been perfect- it REGularlY shoots cheapo-cheapo Fed Bulk pack value loads of birdshot from walmart, 7, 7.5, 8 shot... you kow the 22.99 for 100 rds, 4-boxes of 25-rds a piece/ mine eats it like chicken chow mein.

it also cycles reduced recoil stuf like Fiocchi -- buck rr, and especially gobbles up hornady TAP FPD 00 Buck superpremium Home defense rounds, which are smaller than normal... it eats them up Oh soooo well. i have never ad one single problem, and i firmly believe its because they're the ovwerall best shotgun deal on the market, and i took a few BASic, noRmaL, usEFul steps to get started

i hear CONSTaNTLY of people complaining. you know i had no idea what a canted sight was an ibought mine without checking at the height of the problem, from DIck's no less, mine is fine. and to those who said the ghost ring sights suck? there like the most respected ones you can get, i have spoken to the American company owner in CT who has the relationship with Italian lpA company... these are like the best shotgun sites you'd find on a shotgun. and furthermore you can change the rear aperature to white dots -like a glock, to tritium nite sights, or green fiber optic tubes... and the front to tritium, fiber optic (what comes factory) or dots. awesome aWEsomE sight setup.

at the range I regularly have a better shotgun than everyone.. the only thing i'd rather have would be a Benelli M4 but they're not legal in NJ and the ones that are here are still not exactly the M1014 USMC gun... but yeah its a nice nice piece, other than that, i'll take my M930SPx with its self adjusting gas system anyway
Old August 13, 2011, 02:09 PM   #9
rgillis

Mine has been utterly reliable with everything from bird shot to slugs, 2 3/4" to 3". I had it out last weekend and experienced the same boring reliability that it has shown over the last year. I only wish that someone else would make a pistol grip stock for it. The Choate stock leaves a bit to be desired imho. I'm very pleased with the overall package and I would definately recommend one to a friend without any hesitation
Old August 13, 2011, 02:16 PM   #10
chasep255

Can this gun handle light target loads?
Old August 13, 2011, 03:15 PM   #11
tAKticool

light target loads are you kidding, I blast away with them at the range for fun all the time... it' got a 'self adjusting gas sytem' or something like that that just adjusts on the fly, as opposed to say the double in price FN SLP with it dual gas pistons depending on the load, and the inertia-driven (and also double) Benelli M2 Tac, which doesn't handle light loads and as a recoil operated gun relies on the hard 'le feedback' into your shoulder to cycle the gun, so wants tough loads AND makes you feel them in order to work.
Old August 15, 2011, 09:53 PM   #12
thinktwice

I don't own the SPX which is what I planned to get, however I came across a 930 "Tactical" that I just couldn't turn down, at the price I was offered. I really wanted the SPX. The one I purchased came with the heat shield which and the "breacher" barrel. I can live with the heat shield but that "breacher" just doesn't make since. What in the world am I going to do with a breached barrel shotgun" Sometimes I just don't get these gun manufactures. Anyway that barrel has to go. I e- mailed Mossberg, and ask them about getting the SPX barrel, and they stated they could sell me the SPX barrel. Here is what they wrote back.......> "Thank you for your e-mail. Yes, we can sell you this barrel , As well as the magazine extension and the spring in order for it to work in your 930 Tactical. This way you would have the 930SPX model .

Item# 18449MT M930 18CB BBL ASM MATTE LPA SIGHT , PRICE$155.00

ITEM# 18443MT M930 MAGAZINE EXTENSION, PRICE$25.00

ITEM#18450 M930 SPRING,MAGAZINE SPX, PRICE$ 3.50.

Plus the shipping and handling$ 10.95

You can order thru us at 1-800-363-3555.

I know this is pretty expensive, so I have a choice. I can go ahead and order the stuff, or just try and sell it and just get and SPX. I am not really sure what to do at this point. This 930 I have has been flawless. It has shot everything I feed it including the low recoil/brass Walmart stuff. I have been very impressed with this little shotgun(except for the breacher) So should I take a chance and sell it, and buy a new SPX and risk it being a good one, or should I just buy the parts, and add them to the 930 I have and I know shoots flawless? What would you guys do? Thanks
Old August 16, 2011, 11:10 AM   #13
Smitty in CT

Actually that price isn't bad,

PSI, Inc. (http://www.precisionsights.com/Produ...duct_page.html) sells the LPA SG4 front sight for $71.70, if you figure the price of a plain barrel, the front sight, plus the cost of having it brazed or silver soldered, then refinished... $155 is a bargain....

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old August 16, 2011, 09:32 PM   #14
tAKticool

thinktwice I am very happy with mine 930SPX but I got damn lucky to own one and I would be perfectly happy with your model. Although I would also be trying to make mine SPX too.

The thing to remember is, you have a few options and don't have to do EVERYTHING for the 930SPX. If I get this correct, you're going from an 18.5" barrel, with the stand-off device, to an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. I did a quick google, let me say if you get the barrel and the LPA (which is a brand name sight, its confusing cause they use LPA sights then those 'LPA' and 'LBA' triggers which are HOUSE STUPID ACRONYMS of 'lighting pump/bolt action' i.e. trigger adjusting and knockoffs of AccuTrigger) for the $155 you're gettin a GREAT DEAL!

but then also is your receiver drilled and tapped? cAUse you'll need drilled and tapped, then a picatinny rail installed, to receive the rear ghost ring aperature.

And - I bought my magazine extension directly from Choate. The SPX comes with a Choate +3 (making the gun from 4+1 to 7+1, total of 8) but in NJ I can't go more than 6, so I needed a +1... They send me my extension (which is shorter than 'flush' with barrel but not sooooo short) which they had just made and blued, then they also gave me a new spring, and a Choate heavy duty hi-vis follower to replace the factory stupid little nub of a follower. It was a great purchase.... YOU COULD .. Also could Nordic Comp btw-- they look GREAT. not for me, I like Choate's manly metal on my Mossberg and Nordic is for Benellis but u might like it.

And lastly- don't ever take for granted you know your gun runs well now. Half o me says dont mes with your gun, buy a 930 SPX ... but if your gun runs great you cant put a price on that, so if you just upgrade that one you know it's all good.
Old August 16, 2011, 09:51 PM   #15
gidds

I absolutely love mine......

Shooting in an informal competition, I came upon a steel plate, hanging on a piece of rebar. This from kneeling behind a barrel.....loaded with 7 1/2 bird shot, I hit the steel from about 20'......steel moved but did not fall.....

Little did I know, someone hung it in a manner that the rebar was pointed and it was hanging thru a bullet hole made by some dumba$$ w/ a high caliber rifle.....

Shot it again.....nothing.....I got ******....cussed and emptied the remaining rounds as fast as I could....it was absolutely amazing hot well and fast it shot.....basically lifted the steel up and walked it off the post......

I did send it off and had a choke installed to tighten my pattern up a bit.
Old August 17, 2011, 07:57 AM   #16
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tAKticool
but then also is your receiver drilled and tapped? cAUse you'll need drilled and tapped, then a picatinny rail installed, to receive the rear ghost ring aperature.
All Mossberg 930 receivers are "drilled & tapped" to accept optics...

NOTE: BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO OVER-TORQUE THE TWO FORWARD SCREWS, THE ALUMINUM WHERE THE SCREWS ARE IS VERY THIN AND THE SCREW THREADS CAN BE STRIPPED VERY EASILY... USE A LITTLE LOCTITE AND JUST TIGHTEN THEM UNTIL THEY'RE "JUST TIGHT ENOUGH"...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton