The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 16, 2011, 09:03 PM   #1
scottycoyote

winchester winx chokes work in tc encore?

i have a 20 gauge turkey barrel with a screw in full choke. Looking at the eabco website, they mention that winx chokes work in the tc encore 12 gauge turkey barrel, so im wondering if that would be the case for the 20 gauge barrel as well? i emailed eabco and asked but i havent heard back so i was hoping someone here knew.
Old August 17, 2011, 03:20 PM   #2
scottycoyote

wow nobody?

ok does anybody know somebody i could call to ask? got a gunshow coming up and i was looking to pick some of these up, hate to lug around a barrel to check it but i might end up doing that
Old August 17, 2011, 03:26 PM   #3
oneounceload

Try EABCO. I saw nothing remotely named on Briley - are these standard Winchester extended chokes or??
Old August 17, 2011, 04:53 PM   #4
scottycoyote

i dont know, like i said in the op, i first saw it mentioned on eabco's website, but they havent responded to me when i asked about it in an email. I wanted to order some stuff from them and mentioned that in the email as well, so its not like im just trying to pump them for info, but no reply.
Old August 17, 2011, 05:28 PM   #5
BigJimP

I know a lot of guys --- with a lot of shotguns ----but nobody with a Thomson Center shotgun ...and hardly anyone with a Winchester shotgun with the old Win Choke systems in them ..../ and that's part of the reason you aren't getting much response....

A couple of ideas...

a. find a retailer that handles thompson center firearms ...so you can look at the choke ..../ maybe they'll have an older Winchester ...and you can compare the chokes. I don't know where you'll find Thompson Center shotguns ...or who is selling them...so can't help you there.

b. the Winchester X choke tubes you mention - are the old Win Choke - a few years ago when Browning purchased Winchester ...all of the new Winchesters now use Brownings Invector Plus choke tubes. So the WinChokes are not being used in current production Winchester shotguns....

c. talk to some of the used gun stores in your area ....maybe one of them has a Thompson Center and an older style Winchester ...and maybe they'll know if they're the same ...or they'll let you check them / but looking for an old 20ga might be tough.

I would take the Thompson Center barrel with you ...

I think its likely that if the old Winchester X choke ( Win Choke) was reportedly fitting the 12ga Thompson Center ...then its probable that its the same with the 20ga ..../but companies do change threads, etc in their choke systems from time to time.

carrying your barrel to a gunshow is a good idea .../but I think its a needle in a haystack to find a choke that will fit it ....there weren't that many guns made with the WinChokes in them .../they weren't around that long ...and you're looking for a 20ga on top of that ...

It may just come down to trial and error ...or just buying them from Thompson Center...

Briley does have a line of Win Chokes....so maybe call Briley and ask them if they have any info on Thompson Center shotguns ( they're a divison of Smith & Wesson, I think ) ....

http://www.briley.com/winchesterwinchokechokes.aspx

and good luck ....
Old August 17, 2011, 06:29 PM   #6
scottycoyote

thanks jim, i do appreciate the help. I guess ill take the barrel and if that doesnt work then briley is my next stop. I guess if i had to i could prob get a smith to make me one
Old August 17, 2011, 06:49 PM   #7
BigJimP

No, I don't think you'll find a gunsmith that would make you one ....the setup cost is prohibitive...

You just need to keep asking ...and find out which choke will work ...or buy them from Thompson Center...( don't overlook the easiest way to do it ..) ...
Old August 17, 2011, 09:48 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Contact Carlson's. They do great work and have some really obscure tubes in stock.