The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 12, 2010, 02:01 PM   #1
3leggeddog

Which powder measurer?dispenser

Question , If you purchase a single stage press, what brand of powder/dispenser measurer who you buy ? Scale? A kit may not come with a good one , so what one thats accurate + doesn't cost a week wages?
Old July 12, 2010, 02:38 PM   #2
oneounceload

I have been using my RCBS since I got it about 30 years ago - works flawlessly and consistently for everything from 2.5 grains for 32SWL to 60+ for 7mm mag. My scale is their 5-10 version which seems to have been discontinued. Just about every quality balance-beam scale is made by the Ohaus company and branded for whatever company. Since these are critical items, I would get good ones and they'll work forever and do so accurately.
Old July 12, 2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Jimmy10mm

My favorite measure is the old Belding & Mull with the adjustable droptube. I have an old RCBS beam scale. Not sure what # but at the time it was expensive relative to others. Got it many years ago. I'm at work so I can't check. These digital scales are the ticket now from what I understand.
Old July 12, 2010, 04:34 PM   #4
billcarey

My RCBS Uniflow with the small cylinder has worked A1 for 20+ yrs. I use ball powder and anything from 2 grains up stays consistant. Over the yrs I've tried several beam scales and kept two of them. A 50 yr old hydraulic dampened Redding and a 25 yr old RCBS 510. Any of the big name brands will give good service though. I would recommend buying used quality equipment instead of new cheap equipment.
Old July 12, 2010, 06:06 PM   #5
g.willikers

At the risk of eternal criticism, here's a really cheap one that can work very well, with a couple of easy to do modifications.
The Lee plastic copy of the expensive, steel rotating cylinder type, that sells for less than $20.
Merely adding a V shaped piece at the bottom of the hopper, to better dispense the powder down the delivery hole, and
Removing the little tang that prevents the cylinder from rotating fully and shutting off the powder after it drops,
The thing works perfectly, with the usual pistol powders, like Clays, 231, Titegroup and the like.
Better actually than the one on my progressive press.
No kidding.
Old July 12, 2010, 06:20 PM   #6
BigJimP

I used the RCBS version for years - when I was still doing some single stage reloading ....and it always worked well.
Old July 13, 2010, 09:43 AM   #7
dlb435

I've used just about all brands of powder measures on the market. Lee, Lyman, RCBS and C-H. (and some others) None are perfect but they can all get the job done. Use what ever you like. All powder drops use volume, not weight, to measure the powder. Good results often depend on the powder type chosen, not the powder measure. Ball powders do the best, flake powder do the worst.
Most of the really expensive powder measures offer micro adjustable powder tubes. This is not needed unless you shoot benchrest and load at the range to tweek for that days conditions.
Old July 14, 2010, 05:50 AM   #8
smiljko

I own RCBS Uniflow and use it with Vihtavuori powders(cylindrical)and I'm really not satisfied - it cuts powder like crazy, and loads vary 0,5gr up and down,so I weigh each charge. Haven't tried it with any other powders though.

Last edited by smiljko; July 14, 2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old July 14, 2010, 06:30 AM   #9
ISC

the type of powder you are using has to be considered too. Some powders meter better though some presses than others. Extruded cylindrical (stick) powders like IMR 4198 seem especially prone to cutting and inconsistant metering in some presses but not others.
Old July 16, 2010, 05:37 PM   #10
noylj

Powder Measure for Single Stage Press

Most will work just fine. I liked my RCBS Uniflow. I really like the Hornady L-N-L powder measure. It is easy to switch between pistol and rifle rotors and the aluminum drain spout "thingy" is great. I like the Dillon, but don't consider it the "best" with a single stage press.
Even better, would be the RCBS ChargeMaster. You get an electronic scale and a very fast powder dispenser. Great machine.
I would go with the Hornady because it is so easy to clean and switch around for different jobs. And, you can get some free bullets with the purchase of a new one.
For a progressive press, I prefer the Dillon or the Lee Pro Auto Disk for pistols.
Old July 16, 2010, 05:44 PM   #11
Irish80prf

I use Lee perfect powder measure and it is accurate for me. I have two and they both work great with the powders I put through them. With H4895 they are with in 1/10th or a grain regularly. You can't beat $25 either.
Old July 16, 2010, 10:33 PM   #12
Kevin Rohrer

Powder Measure: Belding & Mull. There are several for sale on Ebay right now. They will go for around $55-75 apiece.
<p>
As for scales, I use the RCBS electronic one.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old July 18, 2010, 12:58 AM   #13
noylj

Powder Measures

Belding and Mull are very good (best of breed back in the '60s), but then so are all the measures I have ever tried (including the often cursed Perfect Powder Measure). Every measure I have ever tried, though, seemed to have days when it just would not uniformly throw charges that it threw just fine a day or two ago.
I just don't think that any are that much better than the Hornady and it has some very good features such as switching between rifle and pistol and for emptying and holds a good amount of powder. Finally, the RCBS ChargeMaster works fast enough to almost keep up with my Dillon 1050s and there is no concern about how uniformly a powder meters with it. A bit expensive, but, as I said, you get a very good electronic scale and the powder dispenser is fantastic and has more features then I will ever need. I just don't think that, given the speed of a single stage press, that anything could possibly beat the ChargeMaster (as long as you don't reload at the range or in the field) and the Hornady is as good as any volumetric powder measure and better than quite a few.
Looking at the Hornady site, I guess that it isn't part of the "Get Loaded" promotion.

Last edited by noylj; July 18, 2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old July 18, 2010, 09:56 AM   #14
jmortimer

I use the Lee Precision Powder Dippers. No moving parts and once you get your technique down it's very fast with a single stage. You have to have a scale, any beam scale will do even the Lee Precision, to weigh your first dipper load or two then put away your scale and scoop/load away. Simple, cheap, and safe.
Old July 18, 2010, 10:52 AM   #15
Jim243

3leg

This is one of those questions that will have 100 answers, all of them correct.

Almost all powder measures will do the job including Lee's Perfect Powder Measure. The real trick is getting a good scale to set the measure to the correct powder drop. Some will despense ball powder better, some stick powder better and few will like flake powder.

It really depends of the type of reloading you will be doing (pistol or rifle) single stage or turret or progressive.

Since you indicated single stage reloading you can use just about any one out there depending on your types of powder used.

I started out on a Lee Perfect Powder Measure with a balance beam scale and a Powder Trickler for that last 0.01 grain accuracy, this is a good way to load for rifle.

As I progressed to loading for pistol, I went with a Lee Classic Turret press and bought a Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure for use on that press. (sitll use it 5 years later with no problems).

Since I wanted a better scale, I jumped up to a RCBS Charge Master powder scale and dispenser ($300) and never use my balance beam scale now. But, I am anal when it come to my rifle loads (must be at 0.00001 grains acurate, yea right).

Depending on your budget and what you are loading for will indicate what you will need (then there those that you FEEL you have to have, but that's another post).

Go to Midway USA and cruse their site for powder measures, to get a better idea as to what is available then come back and post a more specific question on the type and price range you want to get an opinion on.

Good luck
jim
Old July 18, 2010, 12:49 PM   #16
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Lyman-55 with a baffle . Good for all but the lightest pistol loads and all rifle loads and they last forever !
Old July 18, 2010, 04:32 PM   #17
Kevin Rohrer

Quote:
Lyman-55 with a baffle . Good for all but the lightest pistol loads and all rifle loads and they last forever !
They now come with baffles (after ordering one separately due to not knowing this).

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old July 18, 2010, 05:33 PM   #18
nsaqam

I've used many and the ones I've kept are the cheap Lee and the rugged Lyman 55.
I use the Lyman most and really like the integral knocker.
Old July 18, 2010, 07:25 PM   #19
m&p45acp10+1

I have the Lee Perfect Powder measure that came with the kit. It seems to meter everything but Hi Skor 800x well. I did have to loosen it a bit drop H110 without it being so stiff. It does have a bit of side leakage with Bull's Eye, but not much, and it drops the same amount each time without fail. It even meters Trail Boss without bridging.
As far as scales go the Lee scale works, it is just not as easy to read. I bought a smart reloader digital. It works well, and is easy to read. I just keep a fresh supply of batteries for it on hand. I bought it from the bargain cave at Cabella's for like 25 becasue it did not have the weight, and dippers. I just watch the weight when I take the pan off. I weighed the pan with 3 other scales, so if I see a weight of negative 119.9 when I take it off it is zeroed. If the weight is differant it is time for new batteries. I go through about 4 AAA batteries a month, and I use the crap out of that scale. The numbers are large and easy to read.