The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 10, 2011, 10:13 AM   #1
BFR45/70

Need help identifying shotgun.

I have been trying to find out information on this old shotgun that I have had for years, without much luck. Its a double barrel 12 guage ULYSSES Magnum and is made in Spain. The serial # is PG26687 (12-3") and looks to be in good shape. It has a lot of engraving around the trigger guard, thumb lever and action stopping at the barrels. Also has double triggers and being that it excepts 3 inch shells probably isn't very old. There are a lot of proof markings on the underside of the barrels, sorry I can't add pictures at this time, but I was just trying to find out when it was made and what type of quality shotgun it was.
Any information would be appreciated. Rick, (BFR45/70).
Old May 10, 2011, 04:40 PM   #2
mapsjanhere

Spanish guns should have a letter code with the proof mark that indicates the year.
Old May 10, 2011, 04:48 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The fact that there is no maker's name tends to indicate it is not a high quality gun, and I have not found anything on that name.

That being said, most post-WWII Spanish guns are of reasonable quality and safe enough for normal use. There are two major problems. The first is that US importers came and went, so those guns, even some "name" guns have no home in the US and there is no source of parts or service. The second problem is that they were often made by a cottage industry, where one family would make, say, hammers, another triggers, and so forth, then all the parts would be taken to a factory and hand fitted. So even if parts are available, they would have to be hand fitted at US gunsmith costs, which are a lot more than the Spanish folks were paid.

So if you want to use the gun, do so and good luck. But if anything breaks, stick it over the fireplace and forget trying to have it repaired.

Jim
Old May 10, 2011, 05:06 PM   #4
PetahW

FWIW, just because the chamber(s) will accept an unfired 3" shotshell doesn't mean they're long enough for the fired shell, since shotgun barrels chambered for 2-3/4" shells (fired length) are long enough to accept a 3" (fired length) unfired shell.

Dismount the barrels, and check for the chamber marking(s) in millimeters, on each barrel, which should be "12/65" (2-1/2"), "12/70" (2-3/4"). or "12/76" (3").

The actual firing of ANY shell, that's too long for the actual chambering (regardless of length/gauge) will severely raise pressures as the shot column has to force it's way past the throat area, that should be wide open, but is now restricted by the open end/crimp of the too-long shell.

Last edited by PetahW; May 10, 2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old May 11, 2011, 12:13 PM   #5
oneounceload

Check this thread from another forum and follow the links - should help you identify year and possible maker:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=160159
Old May 11, 2011, 01:08 PM   #6
Doyle

There are dozens of mom and pop shotgun makers in Spain. Most of these guns never get exported to North America. Some are decent, many are not. Unfortunately, the lack of popularity means that information about them is also scarce.
Old May 11, 2011, 01:43 PM   #7
Hawg

It looks like a pretty decent modern shotgun. I'd verify that it is chambered for 3 inch shells before I used any in it tho.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=216841658