The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 20, 2009, 06:45 AM   #51
J.Smith

This is why advanced Pistol courses teach you to size up a threat if you have to shoot. You may only have a split second to size up an attacker, but that split second can save your life. As it is known you always shoot to kill, but in someone who closely resembles Andre the Giant, where is critical kill zone? Obviously there is alot more muscle, fat, and bone in between the vitals and the end of your barrel. In most articles I have read, the general consensus is that it is true that after 2 rounds to the chest, any subsequent shots to the same zone will have little immediate effect. I don't trust headshots, to much chance to miss or for the attacker to move, I like the system my training instructor told me and that was 2 to the chest and then stitch them up. First 2 shots go to the chest then you drop to pelvic height and the remaining 8 shots stitch the attacker right up centerline of the body. Gives the best chance to hit another critical organ and drop the attacker. The key in any defencive shooting is to shoot to kill. That is why it is so important to be as fast and accurate as possible regardless of the size of the attacker. Head shots also to me give off the perception that you couldn't have been in so much trouble if you had time to get sights on a center head shot. Think what a prosecutor could twist that into. Full magazine into the torso before the perp hits the floor. Once they hit the floor, I take cover and check to see whether they are still a threat. If they are wounded but no longer attempting to control their weapon, I use cover and wait for police. They go after the gun again, size up situation and respond.
Old June 22, 2009, 06:41 AM   #52
Brit

It's not the size of the dog in the fight....

To an extent, all factors in a bullet's striking a person, has to do with mind set.

A person defending their 3 year old child, would need to be cut into small pieces before they quit fighting.

One of a group shouting threats, is creased by a bullet, 99 times out of 100 are legging it.

Your 300 lb-6'4" thug is basically meat/bones/and nerve endings.

The following not in any order of importance, they all are.

Tools, my own concept, lots of rounds, good ones, with a track record, mine for instance, Glock 19, 16 rounds of 127g ranger.

Skill, the ability to draw from concealment, and put multiple rounds out, in not much more than one second, small group at 10 feet, reasonable hits at 10 yards. Say 10" center chest. You moving them moving? Then things change in a hurry.

Human body, chest is a vacuum chamber, more or less, in it lives the lungs, heart, and at the back, the spine.

You do not count rounds (shoot twice and access! NO!) fire, fire, fire, thug goes down, shift aim, move. Three hundred or one hundred pounds? What do you think?