The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 7, 2007, 07:18 PM   #1
Rob-o

Another 1903 I.D.

I can see that this topic has been beat to death but here goes, Im looking for any info on my 1903 I just picked up. U.S. Sprinfield Armory 1903, the serial # is 807xxx, there is a faint RA-R stamped on the stock between the cutoff and the trigger, on the left side of the front sight is stamped C64157-4, and on the barrel itself behind the front sight is SA 8-30. I have an idea what that means but Id like to know if at all possible what year this was made, what the various other markings mean and last is this one of the #s thats ok to shoot. Thanx for any help

Robert
Old August 7, 2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Trapper L

The barrel number is the date of manufacture. For this rifle that would be 8-30 or August 1930. The serial number does not match the barrel in time though. The serial number in that sequence Springfield shows to be a 1918 manufacture date. It also is right at the time they went to a double heat treatment of the action. Any serial number below 800,000 are suspect and should be tested for hardness. I would say look at the bolt for a slight swept backward handle but it appears that this rifle is a put together piece. Doesn't make it a bad shooter but not original as manufactured. The stamp on the stock could be the inspectors stamp but it would have to read RA-P. This stamp was active from 1918 to 1942.
Old August 7, 2007, 10:24 PM   #3
Rob-o

Thats preety much what I expected. I did purchase this with intent to use it, but it would have been nice if it was more original. The information I got was that was that it was "re-barreled" in 1930, for all I know it could mean a good used barrel was fitted. The bolt handle does sweep back slightly. I took it completely apart and everything looks good except a small piece of the extractor looks to have broken off. I guess I look for another one. Oh and I looked closer and the stamp is RA-P. Thanks again for the help

Robert
Old August 10, 2007, 07:08 AM   #4
k Squared

Still Probably an Authentic Service Rifle

Rob-o,

Just because the numbers/dates don’t match doesn’t mean you don’t have an authentic service rifle. The Army over hauled huge numbers of rifles that were issued to troops during WWII and served proudly. When the barrel was changed, there is a good chance the barrel was brand new.

It’s not a collector grade gun, but still a piece of history. At least that’s what I tell myself about all the old military pieces I have in my collection!!!