The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 10, 2008, 11:03 AM   #51
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Having a little bird dog bred into a program is popular...
Jagds are too dern high strung for my tastes...
What folks fail to realize that make the dogs kilkenny lists is "GRIT"...
About any dog can find and bay a pig. But a hog is a far different beast. The dog has to take some abuse and not quit the bay. Some dogs bay like a monster and get hit once and head for the truck box. It takes a special dog to STOP and bay any size hog no matter what.
Unfortunately I am currently dog poor as I sold my good stuff when I was down from the wreck that trashed my arm. Now finding new blood at bargain basement $$$ is tuff!
Brent
Old November 17, 2011, 01:12 AM   #52
hogdogweim

Hog hunting with Weimaraners

I see most of you are saying a Weimaraner is a bird dog. As a breeder and hog hunter of Weims, I just had to step in here. They were originally bred in Germany as a large game hunting dogs. Bred and used for Bear and hogs mostly by royalty. Only reason they were started being used as a bird dog is the fact that the large game was depleting. We use our Weimaraner's as hog dogs. They are also closely related to a Plott hound. A Weim has grit, hunt, stamina, and versatility. They do range a little further, more like a hound dog than a cur. We have bullX, blackmouths, Catahoulas Plotts, and the Weims. The Weims have proved themselves to have the grit needed to help stop a hog, and the nose to find one. However, do take into consideration that they are pricier if you are hunting them, and there is always a chance of them getting injured. There are also many in rescues as these dogs need jobs and do better as a pet with a job.
Old November 18, 2011, 10:01 AM   #53
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Weim, Where do you find your weims? Is there lines of true hunting stock in the USA or are you getting lucky with pet and show lines?

Brent
Old November 18, 2011, 10:15 AM   #54
rickyrick

I had a weim/chocholate lab mix for 14 years, she was the smartest greatest dog I have ever known. I have other dogs but this one I have never found one on par with this dog since she died. And to think she was an unwanted pup because the mix was not intended.