The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 13, 2010, 04:23 PM   #1
HappySig

Powder Dippers

Does anybody use the powder dippers anymore? My Redding powder measure seems to be throwing inaccurate charges with my blue dot and red dot flake powder. I'm going to switch to W231 but I have 2 1/2 lbs of blue dot and red dot to use up. And at 4.5 grains per shell, it's going to take a little while.
If anyone does use these, where can I buy I set? and how accurate are they? They seem easy enough to use.
Old November 13, 2010, 04:38 PM   #2
overkill0084

I have the same problem with Unique. Haven't been tempted to do the Dippers yet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=943305
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old November 13, 2010, 04:51 PM   #3
spacecoast

I have loaded almost 9k rounds of 380, 38 special, 357, 9mm and 45 acp using Lee dippers in the last year. I calibrated them for each powder (H110, Titegroup, AA#2 and Unique) with an inexpensive gram scale but don't use a scale otherwise.

Lee dippers are available from everyone that carries Lee and one is included with each set of dies. You can also file them down to make in-between sizes or you can make your own with pieces of brass.
Old November 13, 2010, 04:52 PM   #4
jmortimer

One of my favorite topics. I only use dippers - Lee Precision makes them and many are fabricating dippers from brass that is cut down to throw a specific charge. I use Unique and the dippers work well. Most get light loads from them compared to the powder table included with the dippers. You need to practice until you get consistent charge weights and many get +/-.1 to .2 grains which is plenty accurate for me as I only load for self-defense. The "proper technique" is to push the bottom of the dipper into the powder and let the powder fall into the dipper and then strike off the top with a card or straight edge. As I said many report getting light charges with that technique compared to the dipper table. I scoop the powder and get charges very close to the dipper table and within +/- .2 grains which is fine for me as I never go max anyway. Volume loading is the safest way to charge your ammunition. Since I hate using scales, and only use Unique, once I verify that my powder cannister contains Unique and is properly labeled, I can put away the scale until I buy a new cannister of powder and have to verify the contents of the cannister. Eight pounds of Unique can last me a couple three years so I don't have to touch that scale for a couple three years. Midway USA sells them. I got two sets so I could modify some of the dippers to match my desired charge weight.
Old November 13, 2010, 05:16 PM   #5
Rifleman1776

As said, Lee. Or make your own. I use old cartridge casings or brass tubing. For traditional muzzle loaders I also make from wood or antler. No reason why they would not work for smokless powders too. By making your own you can customize.
Old November 13, 2010, 06:35 PM   #6
MADISON

I have been reloading since 1970

I have found that NO powder measure throws what they say they will.
The only thing you can do is to:
Average the charge thrown and be satisfied...
Use the powder measure of your choice and DRIBBLE to the desired charge.
Old November 13, 2010, 06:41 PM   #7
HappySig

Thanks everybody

Thanks everybody for your input, I'm definitely going to buy a set of these, as I stated in the original post, I use flake powder so it doesn't seem to meter very well and I see that Graf and sons has Rex powder on sale for $96 for 8 pounds, and if you buy 16 pounds you get the hazmat free so I'm going to take advantage of that deal and I needed to come up with a solution for my powder troubles.

Happy shooting and I hope everybody has a great weekend!!!!
Old November 13, 2010, 08:58 PM   #8
chris in va

I make my own using cut down shell casings and steel wire. If you file/dremel them down a hair below the charge you want, it's easier for you to just dip and let it slightly heap over the dipper so you're not constantly tapping off the excess. Done this with thousands of rounds.