The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 13, 2000, 02:07 PM   #1
VictorLouis

I just purchased a new FEG Hi-Power copy, which I'm sure I'll customize. The serial number is rollmarked rather lightly, but is by no means "unclear".
I'm concerned a parkerized finish might obscure it just enough to cause me some undue hassles. Could the numbers be acid etched perhaps, to deepen and clarify them?
If not, is it lawful to stamp the number in place along the dust cover, just in case the front strap appears questionable?
Old April 13, 2000, 02:58 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, VictorLouis,

I am not sure what you mean by "dust cover". Any gunsmith obscuring or obliterating a serial number in the course of working on a gun may restamp the same number in the same place. But the primary number must be on the frame (receiver) of the gun. The serial number can also be put on the slide or other parts by the manufacturer, but it must be on the frame.

Jim
Old April 13, 2000, 04:16 PM   #3
VictorLouis

The long extension of the frame, in front of the trigger guard. I thought that it was referred to as a dust cover???
Your saying that's it's lawful to re-stamp it, as long as it is in the SAME place on the receiver? So, you cannot completely stipple the front strap, and then stamp it elsewhere on the side of the frame? Thanks.
Old April 13, 2000, 06:39 PM   #4
johnnybravo

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VictorLouis:
The long extension of the frame, in front of the trigger guard. I thought that it was referred to as a dust cover???
[/quote]

You are correct. It covers the recoil spring and guide rod.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss.
Old April 13, 2000, 07:00 PM   #5
BBBBill

Some gunsmiths have asked for & gotten a letter from ATF approving relocation of the serial # for the purpose of stippling or checkering the frame where the # might be obliterated. One that comes to mind is Kim Ahrends, the well known grip maker. Others have VERY CAREFULLY checkered around it. Jim Garthwait does this. Novak stipples around the #. One other option is to acquire one of the pre-checkered panels, cut out a small section to allow the serial # to show through, & solder it on. Hope this helps.
Old April 15, 2000, 04:12 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Good thoughts, BBBill.

It has been a while since I heard that part of the frame referred to as a "dust cover" and it did not connect. Thanks.

Jim