The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Rugburn

Shopping list for reloading? Please help...

Hello, my first post here. I've been lingering for awhile and have decided to start reloading after reading alot of the posts and information here. I have decided to start with the Lee Classic Turret due to its affordable price and flexibility, seems to be a great beginning setup. Now I need help deciding all the other stuff I might need or might not need. I have put together a list of stuff I have in my shopping cart at Midway, so if you would be so kind as to look at it and tell me if I have everything I need and if the items I have selected are any good. Feel free to point me in a differant direction with any of the items listed. Keep in mind I have selected these items based on customer reviews and that they are a balance between cost and quality. Thanks for your help.

Lee Classic Four Hole Turret
Lee safety primer feeder
Lee Pro Auto-disk Powder Measure
Lee Deluxe Carbide dies for .40 S&W, .44 mag
Lyman turbo twin case tumbler
Lyman turbo corn cob media
Lee mordern reloading 2nd edition manual
Lee powder funnel
MTM mini digital scale 750 grain
Lee auto disc powder measure double disk kit
Lee auto-disk adjustable powder charge bar
RCBS primer pocket brush
Old February 8, 2011, 03:24 PM   #2
FtrPilot

You will also need a dial (or digital) caliper,

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/searc...h-All+Products

and a bullet puller.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

You will probably want a media separator.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=183204

Last edited by FtrPilot; February 8, 2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old February 8, 2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Go ahead and make your list at MidWay, but don't buy the stuff there unless you don't care about price....

Check Graf and Sons, Factory Sales and Kemfs for MUCH better pricing.

You will also want the Lee Auto Disk Riser (#90041).

Cheap digital scales are not very trustworthy. If you get one, check it regularly for discrepancy.

You're also going to want a kinetic bullet puller.

For a tumbler, I use the Frankford Arsenal kit which includes everything you need.

You're also going to want a case trimmer, the Lee trimmer and lock stud will probably work fine for you, you also need a case gauge for each caliber. You're not likely to need it ever for .40SW (I don't know about 44mag) but it's cheap and you'll probably need it eventually anyway, you may as well get it with everything else.

As far as your choice of press and related equipment, I think you've made a very good choice.
Old February 8, 2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Steviewonder1

You also want at least two books on reloading. There are several very good one's out there including some smaller books for one specific caliber that compiles information from both bullet manufacturers and powder manufacturers. You can never have too much info on how to build up loads for various bullets. I have books from the early 70's and just last year. Good luck with saving lots of money. I cannot imagine how much I have saved but shooting 4-6,000 rounds a year it adds up quickly.
Old February 8, 2011, 04:01 PM   #5
maillemaker

Quote:
I cannot imagine how much I have saved but shooting 4-6,000 rounds a year it adds up quickly.
Well I can. If it was .45 ACP, you'd have saved at least $1100.
Old February 8, 2011, 04:29 PM   #6
Shoney

Rugburn

WELCOME TO TFL!

Check out these people.
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...hk=1&Itemid=41
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 8, 2011, 04:30 PM   #7
DiscoRacing

Quote:
If it was .45 ACP, you'd have saved at least $1100
LoL>.. So Imagine if that was .460S&W then.
Old February 8, 2011, 04:48 PM   #8
jeepster11

well i hate to bear bad news

but at least when you first start reloading it seems you just shoot more lol and yes i save a ton on reloading especially on my 460 smith good luck and be safe follow load specks
Old February 9, 2011, 02:51 PM   #9
Rugburn

Thanks fella's... I will check out the links provided and the other equipment mentioned. It will be awhile before I actually start reloading due to me having shoulder surgery this coming Friday. But I am going to go ahead and get the equipment and have a buddy help me set it up so I can get familiar with everything. I will also have time to read the manuals and learn a few things before I jump in. Any specific manuals you would recommend?
Old February 9, 2011, 04:10 PM   #10
orionengnr

One of these days I'll buy a fancy Dillon media seperator. Until then I'll keep on making do with a shoe box and a cat-litter sifter/scoop.

Case trimmer? Nah, not until/unless I get into rifle cartridges.

Case gauge? Well, I bought one for .45 acp, but then found out that my 1911's barrel works just as well...if not better.
Old February 9, 2011, 04:47 PM   #11
rdmallory

A second 4 hole disk so you can leave the dies setup.

Might want a bulge remover to the 40sw.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=882261
Old February 9, 2011, 08:02 PM   #12
Mattp27

I have a Dillon digital scale and I only use it for a check. It seems it have to be zeroed/calibrated way to often. Sometimes between just a few loads it will drift. I also have a dillon balance beam that I trust with my life. It is always dead on accurate!

I personally hate the corn cob media. I use ground walnut shells. You can pick a 5lbs bag up at your local pet store for about $10. It is in the reptile section aparently it is lizard bedding. It seems to clean the cases allot better. Add a capful of Flitz and a couple hours in the tumbler your brass will look like new. I like my brass to be perfect like brand new off the shelf. As long as it is clean it doesn't matter though.

Just my 2 cents!
Old February 9, 2011, 09:35 PM   #13
dlb435

You might want to check out my post "How much to start reloading....dirt cheap!"