The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 17, 2001, 01:18 PM   #1
BigG

Range Report: 308 Two-Barrel

Well, I went back to the gun store and bought the Baikal Over and Under 308 Winchester caliber Double Rifle , along with a box of Sellier & Bellot 308 Winchester 144 grain FMJ and immediately sallied forth to the range to check the zero.

At the 50 yd marker one bbl was dead on. The other was 6" low. The both of them were perfectly lined up horizontally. There is an adjustment nut to tighten the pattern. I got them about 4" apart vertically, again one dead on and the other low. I'm going to wait and get some hunting loads like 150 or 180 gr Core Lokt and see how it does before I adjust it any more. I understand doubles are sensitive to different bullet wgts so I expect I'll have to play around some.

The gun is super tight, in fact, I had to give a rap on the thumb lever with a wood block to open it after firing. No signs of pressure on the cases. It will loosen up in a couple of boxes I'm sure.

The gun has a heckuva nice stock and forend with fiddleback on both pieces and hand cut checkering. Really nice for a Rusky gun. It will make a nice gun in the hunting stands.

Trigger pull is a mite heavy but absolutely no creep whatsoever. Oh yeah, double triggers and extractors, not ejectors.

Don't let anybody s*** you about EAA guns. They are well worth the money.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old July 17, 2001, 07:02 PM   #2
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

1. Which store did you go to? I know the store where Bernie's (on Britt Rd) used to be, stocks CZ and Baikal. Is that where you went?

2. How much did you pay?

3. Other calibers offered?
Old July 17, 2001, 09:27 PM   #3
BigG

Piedmont Outdoors on I20.

Only one they had was 308 x 308

$329.00
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

Old July 18, 2001, 03:20 PM   #4
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Thanks!
Old July 19, 2001, 04:55 PM   #5
BigG

Round 2

Took the double 308 to the range again with a fresh box of S&B 144 gr FMJ. I got the two bbls dialed in with the adjusting screw to where all twenty rounds were in a fist sized group at 50 yards. Now, Mr. Bambi, I'll be waitin on ya come fall!