The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 13, 2016, 01:43 PM   #1
Rothdel

How to help protect the 2nd Amendment

Not looking to start a discussion regarding the shooting in Orlando so if thats what your looking for move on.

I have been a life long gun owner/shooter who has never been that into hunting. I live in WI and for the most part we are free to own/use/carry guns in a (at least where I live) fairly open environment.

I'm scared that is going to change. Even now I am hearing people who never once expressed opinions sharing the talking points that I would traditionally associate with the anti gun groups.

So here is the question.

What can I do to help protect the 2nd Amendment?

I don't have tons of money to donate to the politicians of my choice and have little time to work help with politician election efforts.

I have written letters to local and national elected officials and will continue to do so but other than what else can/should I be doing?

I am not a member of the NRA but strongly considering it. I know some people in our community (gun enthusiasts) are hit or miss on how much the NRA helps but I'm thinking they do far more good than bad for this cause.
Old June 13, 2016, 02:03 PM   #2
rickyrick

I would say enjoy the golden age of firearm ownership as it is now.

More gun control is coming. State by state. The rest of the west coast will fall first. Washington and Oregon have already begun the decline as well as other states. Some states will continue to enjoy firearm freedoms for quite some time to come.
As a whole the national opinion on guns is changing against us. We are socially unacceptable now, it's just a matter of time and everyone will be under tighter restrictions.
Gun control feels good, so that's how it will succeed.
Old June 13, 2016, 02:07 PM   #3
Rothdel

I have felt that way for a while as well. The one sign that we are wrong however is the amount of new gun owners and the sheer number of people purchasing guns. Seems to be the social/media narrative has changed but the common consensus maybe hasn't shifted.
Old June 13, 2016, 02:59 PM   #4
peggysue

Vote for Trump
Old June 13, 2016, 03:06 PM   #5
rickyrick

Yeah, too bad all those gun owners won't vote.
Old June 13, 2016, 03:23 PM   #6
JWT

The mainstream press is largely anti gun. They do not generally check the facts before echoing rants from anti gun groups or individuals. They will very likely help drive the country toward much more stringent gun control. In addition liberal jurists are less likely to supportsgunowners rights. You can see it in the Northeastern and Pacific coast states.
Old June 13, 2016, 06:48 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

Vote for a candidate who you think will support the issues you care about.

However, pure politics and advocacy for specific candidates leads to acrimonious debates, so closed.