The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 28, 2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Kazaam

At what point does a handgun become "too heavy"?

Does it even matter if its for range use only? Gonna buy a CZ SP-01 and am slightly concerned about the weight.
Old October 28, 2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Venom1956

you'll be fine.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 28, 2012, 02:09 PM   #3
CWKahrFan

Quote:
At what point...?
Probably somewhere around here... 4 lbs. 6 oz...(4 lbs. 12 oz with extended barrel)...

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firear...er-Stripes.asp
Old October 28, 2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

If 2.7 pounds scare you then don't get a full size gun that holds a third of a box of ammo, get a smaller gun that holds half as much. No use having a great gun like the CZ SP-01 if you aren't going to carry it. That is a gun for serious shooting and serious shooters like the weight because it helps their shooting. You won't shoot it if you won't carry it.

Not a criticism of you, it's just a fact that if you aren't comfortable with the gun you won't, bring it with you, some of us are built like gorillas and don't pay a lot of attention to bulk or weight. I'm a 45 man and my gun loaded is .4 oz less than yours but it only has 7 rounds in it. You have to ask yourself what are you going to use it for to determine if it's to heavy. I say no but I'm an old gorilla who doesn't know better and is used to thew weight.

You want heavy get yourself a Colt Walker revolver and holster carry 7 pounds of gun for a day. I have two and they rarely get carried double and only if I'm not far from a chair or stool or stump or horse to sit on. Carry them to the firing line, shoot them and then go back and remove the gun belt is the plan for that load.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 28, 2012, 02:59 PM   #5
wayneinFL

You're concerned about weight in a range gun? Why? If you can hold it up without your hand shaking, don't worry about it.
Old October 28, 2012, 03:00 PM   #6
mete

The advantage of a 'handgun' is that it's light and handy to carry. As far as the big ones my M29 , 6.5" barrel 44mag is about the limit for me.It carries easily in a shoulder holster and I shoot it well .I don't need a scope or rest and can [and have ] get my deer shooting with one hand. More weight or recoil then it no longer meets my 'handgun' definition.
Old October 28, 2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Mrgunsngear

For range use I like heavier guns. For carry, it becomes 'too heavy' when you think about not carrying it on a given day...
Old October 28, 2012, 03:12 PM   #8
peacefulgary

Quote:
For carry, it becomes 'too heavy' when you think about not carrying it on a given day.
I agree.
If you start finding reasons to not carry it, then it is too heavy or there is something else about the gun you don't like.

I was carrying my Ruger SR9c, but have recently been carrying my XD45.
The XD45 is heavier and larger but I actually like the way it carries.
Old October 28, 2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Microgunner

When your britches fall off.
Old October 28, 2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Retread7

I carry everywhere its legal. I am a 64 year old farmer, I work all day long. After trying different pistols, it seems to me that about 30 ounces fully loaded is about as heavy as I care to carry, and the smaller the better too.

Now days I carry a Keltec P11 at our place (22 ounces w/12 rounds) and I ALWAYS have it on me. I really like the Glock 19, but it does get in the way when working, from time to time.

For me, with a 9mm, when the weight gets below about 26 ounces the recoil becomes a bit much. My 2 cents.
Old October 28, 2012, 05:23 PM   #11
manta49

Makes me wonder how everyone managed before they came up with plastic framed pistols.

I use a cz 75 at the range. How could it be to heavy we are talking a few lbs. To heavy to lift to heavy to hold to heavy to point i don't really get the question.
Old October 28, 2012, 05:32 PM   #12
Sparks1957

You may want to build up your hand and arm strength if that 2 lbs. or so is too heavy, seriously.

It helps one to be a better shooter overall, in addition
Old October 29, 2012, 06:19 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

I've never seen a range gun that is too heavy. Unless you have limited arm strength, don't worry about it.
Old October 29, 2012, 08:19 AM   #14
EdInk

I think it depends on the intended use and the caliber.
Old October 29, 2012, 08:23 AM   #15
Single Six

I think that it would be subjective. What's "too heavy" for one person might not be that big of a deal for someone else. For a range gun though, I just don't see this as an issue.
Old October 29, 2012, 08:47 AM   #16
Rifleman1776

I carried and shot competitvely a Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum for years. I shot both one and two hand hold. I am not very big but enjoyed shooting that monster thousands of round each year.
But, I tore up my rotator cuffs, separate incidents years apart, and now cannot shoot it anymore. I cannot hold at arms length. So, what was not "too heavy" is now very much "too heavy".
To answer your question: what you can handle is fine for you, only you can decide what is "too heavy" for you.
Old October 29, 2012, 09:51 AM   #17
Dashunde

Since you asked specifically about range use only...
I say the heavier the better, within reason.