The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2014, 08:29 AM   #1
ate3quartr

How long do reloading supplies last?

Folks,

Best wishes to everyone for a safe and prosperous 2014. This is my second post. I joined TFL because I'd like to get back into reloading. First, a question.

I have an unopened can of Hercules propellant, and some small and large pistol primers I procured in the late 1980s. Are they still good?

Thanks,

Old January 25, 2014, 08:45 AM   #2
Jimro

As long as the powder smells fresh it should be good. The primers should be good.

Jimro
Old January 25, 2014, 09:49 AM   #3
Hunter Customs

It depends on where and how you stored them.

If the primers were stored in a climate controlled area and kept away from anything such as solvents that can contaminate them, then they should be good.

If the powder was stored in a climate controlled area that would also be a plus.

I have some reloading supplies I've had since the late 80's, all my supplies are in a climate controlled building, I've had no problem to date with any of them.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 26, 2014, 05:28 PM   #4
cmemiss

I reloaded some 30 year old CCI SPP that had followed me through a half dozen moves and while not babied were never stored in excessively hot, cold, or humid environments. They all went bang on cue.
Old January 26, 2014, 08:06 PM   #5
Sevens

Quote:
I have an unopened can of Hercules propellant, and some small and large pistol primers I procured in the late 1980s. Are they still good?
They are almost certainly going to still be good.

One slight possibility of a very slight pitfall is that if your powder is good and old enough, the formula for that same product (which is now going to be marked under the brand Alliant as Hercules is no more) may possibly have been altered slightly over time.

The change is unlikely to be such that you would have dangerous or catastrophic results if you simply substituted the new powder, however, there does exist the very real chance that loads you make up with your older Hercules powder may not be exactly replicated with the same powder charge of the propellent you buy to replace it when it's time to do that.

If I were in your shoes, I would keep that sealed container on the shelf, buy a brand new pound of powder, and begin your re-familiarization with handloading there. And after you've loaded, tested, re-tested and gotten comfortable with the process and the results over that full pound of new powder, consider playing with the older powder at that time.
Old January 26, 2014, 10:08 PM   #6
chris in va

Check the 'sell by' date on the can.

I kid.
Old January 26, 2014, 10:27 PM   #7
Misssissippi Dave

I can't keep anything around long enough to find out how long it might keep before going bad.
Old January 26, 2014, 11:46 PM   #8
Marco Califo

Quote:
may possibly have been altered slightly over time.
I hear this second hand a lot, but have never seen a written statement of this from Alliant, Hercules or any other powder manufacturer, that powders have changed over time, old data is not valid, or loads can not be replicated anymore. Frankly, I think it is idle speculation, theory and conjecture, that is unproven, and doubtful.
I have some old Hercules Reloader 12x. They don't make it any more. But I still have the old data to go with the powder, and Alliant has not published any retraction of data. I am still going to use it. http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Fre...rcules1992.pdf
Old January 27, 2014, 12:26 AM   #9
Sevens

Well, ALLIANT specifically says that they've changed the formulation for one of human history's most popular powders (Unique), though they do not say that their altering of it has specifically changed it's burning rate or properties.

That you are using a discontinued powder with the published data that was available when it was available certainly does not mean that the data they publish -TODAY- is the same data they published in, say, the mid-1980s (a logical, possible guess at the time his older can of Hercules was produced)

Here's a different example. And I'm not trying to say "I'm right; you're wrong", I'm merely saying that things change over time.

Got a '93 Hodgdon published guide in my hand, load data for .357 Magnum:
125gr JHP, 8.8gr Universal is a -MAX- load.
From Hodgdon's online resource, 7.6gr is the max load for a 125gr XTP.

.38 Special+P, in the '93 guide:
125gr JHP, HS6 shows a 8.5gr -MAX- load
From Hodgdon's current online resource, max load is 7.8gr of the same powder

I think typically, the changes come from further, better, more refined testing than it does because the powder has changed, but we still follow some basic safety tactics & principles at the load bench: we look for published data, double & triple cross-reference it.

For the OP's older container of Hercules from an unknown date? I'd be happier if I also had some published data from the same era as the powder, assuming I could figure that out.
Quote:
Frankly, I think it is idle speculation, theory and conjecture, that is unproven, and doubtful.
That is precisely, word for word what I think every time someone blames a LAWYER and "reckless litigation and wanton lawsuits" for anything related to safety or caution with regards to firearms, ammunition, or handloading. Rarely if ever, and more ever -NEVER- a citation.

So you enjoy your chip, and I'll enjoy mine.
Old January 27, 2014, 01:54 AM   #10
Jim243

Quote:
I have an unopened can of Hercules propellant,
What type? If it says "Rifle Powder" it is. If it is un-opened, we can't tell if it was subjected to excessive heat and has changed it's tinder. But I can say if it is a "METAL CAN" that it is indeed old. (over 30 years?)

The primers should be OK but again "how old"?? (late 80's should be OK)

The wise thing to do with that powder is use it for fertilizer in the garden and buy something more modern that will have current load data for it, otherwise you are shooting in the dark as to what a safe load might be.

Jim
Old January 28, 2014, 09:26 PM   #11
Nick_C_S

I discovered some of my old powder (W231 & W296) at my father's house that I left there in 1987. There were also 700 each of CCI 550 and CCI 350 primers. They were all in a linen closet, and storage conditions were excellent.

I loaded and used the powder and primers last year (some 26 years) and they all worked and behaved just fine.

Other than just one single slow primer (click-wait-wait-bang), I saw no difference compared to the new stuff.