The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 14, 2013, 08:47 PM   #1
Latesvak

need help w/ kids gun

So I have a extra ruger 10/22 stock and I would like to know how to go about cutting it down to properly fit my daughters grip . This will be twice as nice because I also have twin boys who will eventually use this as well. I'm pretty good with tools so that's not a problem but just trying to see if anyone has done this or has any good pointers. She's excited to go shooting with daddy but can't till she gets the rules down first. And has a stock to fit. I should mention this is only going to be for target practice and bench shooting.

Luke
Old March 14, 2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Onward Allusion

You may want to look into getting a new stock instead of cutting one down, unless you're into woodworking.

Blackhawk Axiom... Collapsible 6 position that will grow with your child. It will also take almost a pound off the rifle. Don't forget to get the cheek piece. It also free floats the barrel.
Old March 14, 2013, 11:59 PM   #3
nanewt02

Clamp the portion of the stock you want cut off snugly in a vice and have your cutting line level with the top of the vice jaws, using a fine blade handsaw, cut your stock moving across it slowly, obviously you will be holding it sideways since your cut line is horizontal keep a small downward force and a very very slight downward angle on the blade even pressure on both sides of stock, your blade should skate across the top of the vice jaws giving you a nice even cut. Use same direction only stokes with rough grit sand paper wrapped on 2 by 4 block to sand out any imperfections
Old March 15, 2013, 09:24 AM   #4
TATER

Just got the Wife this one, it turned out nice.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...1=Ruger__10/22
Old March 15, 2013, 07:11 PM   #5
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
If you have access to a power Mitre saw , just make sure your stock is laying square on the table when you make your cut . Then try for fit . A shower shoe , makes a nice economical pad for it too . Just trace , cut and glue on ! Contact cement works great . Oh and don't worry about finding another wood 10-22 stock , they are a dime a dozen , every gun shop has a few laying around , as so many were replaced with synthetics .
Old March 16, 2013, 03:30 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Others respondEd to shortening the stock. I'd reach for a #49 Nicholson file and rasp the grip down. Then scrape it smooth until it feels comfortable to the daughter. I would also slim down the rest of the stock.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:19 PM   #7
oldgunsmith

With her hand on the grip and her finger on the trigger and her elbow bent at about 45 degrees, how far does the butt come from comfortably fitting in to the bend in the elbow? If she has to stretch and strain to get it there, she may be more comfortable with a little shorter length of pull.