The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 27, 2011, 12:10 AM   #1
beex215

lee pro 1000 help

i currently own a single stage press and looking into upgrading to the lee pro. i already have 9mm,45acp dies. im thinking i should buy the 223 or the 40sw pro 1000 kit as dont own those dies and will end up using them. im thinking the 40sw shell plate would take a 9mm and they both are small primers. so that should work right? also if i did buy the 223 version and wanted to load 45acp. i know the 45 will need a larger plate but what would i do about the priming as it goes from small to large here?

how do i go about switching calibers in general?

ps- i would like to load 308 also. i would have to put it in single stage mode as it cannot work in progressive mode. is that correct?

http://www.youtube.com/user/beehasagun1?feature=mhee

Last edited by beex215; October 27, 2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old October 27, 2011, 12:59 AM   #2
Scorch

40 S&W does not use the same shell plate as 9x19mm/9mm Parabellum, you will need a 40 S&W shell plate carrier.

To change calibers that have a different head size, you buy a separate shell plate carrier assembly and switch it out to the shell plate carrier needed. To do this, lift the shell plate carrier by pushing down on the press handle, loosen the Allen-head screw attaching the shell plate carrier to the press arbor, put a resilient block (wood block) under the shell plate carrier assembly, and lift the press handle. The shell plate carrier assembly will come right off. Install the desired shell plate carrier assembly on the press arbor, tighten the Allen-head screw, and you are done. Then change dies to finish the cartridge changeover (I recommend a spare turret for each cartridge you reload. Then all you do is give the turret a twist, lift, install the new turret with the appropriate dies).

It is really not feasible to reload 308 Win on a Pro1000, there is not enough clearance between the carrier and the frame. 223 is fine, though.
Old October 27, 2011, 01:14 AM   #3
BDS-THR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch
40 S&W does not use the same shell plate as 9x19mm/9mm Parabellum
Yes it does.

- 9mm and 40S&W share the same #19 shell plate and small primer attachment but not the case feeder/Z-bar.
- 9mm uses the small case feeder, small case slider and the straight Z-bar.
- 40S&W uses the large case feeder, small case slider and the bent Z-bar.
- 45ACP uses #2 shell plate and large primer attachment along with large case feeder, large case slider and the bent Z-bar.

So, if you want to reload .223, 9mm, 40S&W and 45ACP and already have 9/45 dies, you can order the .223 kit (.223 uses #4 shell plate) and buy these extra parts:

http://www.factorysales.com/html/xca...og/lp1000.html
- #2 and #19 shell plates
- Primer attachment (comes with both sm/lg)
- large case feeder
- straight/bent Z-bars
- small/large case sliders
- 40S&W dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by beex215
Caliber change is best done with turret swap out with dies preset.

To go from 9mm to 40S&W, you need to change the turret with dies, case feeder to large and use the bent Z-bar.

to go from 9mm/40S&W to 45ACP, you need to change the primer feed attachment to large, swap turret with dies and change shell plate with corresponding case feeder/slider/Z-bar (If you buy extra shell plate carrier, you won't need to change the primer feed attachment/shell plate, just swap the entire carrier ).

Quote:
i would like to load 308 also. i would have to put it in single stage mode as it cannot work in progressive mode. is that correct?
Pro 1000 won't load .308 but will load .223/7.62x39. Yes, you can use Pro 1000 in single stage mode by removing the center hex rod.

Last edited by BDS-THR; October 27, 2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old October 27, 2011, 01:20 AM   #4
beex215

thanks for helping all. it was all answered and i still have to decide if i should get it. not loading 308 hurts the package.

http://www.youtube.com/user/beehasagun1?feature=mhee
Old October 27, 2011, 01:23 AM   #5
BDS-THR

I use 2 Pro 1000 (1 for 9/40 and 1 for 45ACP) and Classic Turret/C-H 205 for .308/.223.
Old October 27, 2011, 01:27 AM   #6
Lost Sheep

Thanks for asking our advice

I went from my single stage several decades ago to a pair of Pro-1000 presses, then August 2010 "upgraded" to a Lee Classic Turret. (I never go used to monitoring multiple simultaneous operations). But I loaded for 9mm, 45 ACP, 357 Mag and 44 Mag on those two.
Quote:
i currently own a single stage press and looking into upgrading to the lee pro. i already have 9mm,45acp dies. im thinking i should buy the 223 or the 40sw pro 1000 kit as dont own those dies and will end up using them.
Sounds like a good plan.

Quote:
im thinking the 40sw shell plate would take a 9mm and they both are small primers. so that should work right? also if i did buy the 223 version and wanted to load 45acp. i know the 45 will need a larger plate
I believe the 9mm and 40 S&W will require different shell plates. The primer feed parts will fit, but you will need separate shell plates. The "rim" for the 9mm is .394" and the .40 Smith & Wesson is .424".

However, the diameter down in the extractor groove on both cartridges is identical, at .347", so maybe the same holder would work.

Thickness of the "rim" for the 9mm is .050" and the 40 is .055". I don't think that will matter much.

edit: BDS-THR beat me to it, checking with Lee's web site. The two cartridges will work with the same shell holder/shell plate.

Quote:
... but what would i do about the priming as it goes from small to large here?

Swapping primer feeds is not difficult. Swapping shell plates requires some disassembly. Some people, to minimize the disassembly/reassembly involved, buy a whole carrier and swap it out. Some other folks buy a whole press for each caliber they load and dispense with parts swapping altogether.
Quote:
ps- i would like to load 308 also. i would have to put it in single stage mode as it cannot work in progressive mode. is that correct?
While the .308 is a lot heftier cartridge than the others you mention, I think you can do the progressive thing OK. Particularly if you are just neck sizing. A lot less force involved.

If the cartridge is not too long to fit in the vertical opening (with whatever bullet you are using), I think the press will do. But remember, the frame is aluminum and the linkage could be stronger. Keep it clean and lubed and don't force it too hard.

If you do process just one cartridge at a time, you could use the press in batch mode or in continuous mode, depending on your mood, but be aware that you will may have some off-axis forces within the press frame assembly, especially if working in continuous mode. If you are going to work in batch mode, I would just as soon use the single stage.

Depending on the volume of loading you contemplate, I would investigate the Lee Classic Turret. If less than 250 rounds at a sitting, you may find it just as fast as the progressive, especially if you load different cartridges in the same session. Swapping calibers with the Turret is very fast (when you have the extra turrets, which are cheap enough), like 30 seconds (including boxing up the retiring die set), involves no disassembly, nor tools and the money savings starts with the press and goes on from there.

I sound (to myself) like a zealot, but I REALLY like my Lee Classic Turret. I recognize that it will not fit everybody's needs or desires, but if you don't load thousands and do swap calibers a lot, a turret, especially the Lee, deserves a consideration, at least.

you might want to read my post "10 Advices for the novice handloader", post #13 on this thread:
thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466681
especially the web links I list in advice #6. (Don't worry, not all the threads are mine.)

You might also want to talk to Sue Kempf at Kempf's gun shop (they do internet sales). She has experience with the Pro-1000s and the Lee Classic Turret and is a good person. Kemp's sells a REALLY NICE kit based on the Classic Turret that includes dies and a couple of extras, but they don't force you to take a scale (which you undoubtedly already have), so you don't wind up with stuff you can't use.

Good Luck

Last edited by Lost Sheep; October 27, 2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old October 27, 2011, 01:30 AM   #7
BDS-THR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep
I believe the 9mm and 40 S&W will require different shell plates.
Shell plate #19 is shared for 9mm, 40S&W and 10mm - http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/267...nd-w-10mm-auto
Old November 7, 2011, 11:53 AM   #8
larry60

I have a question for Lee 1000 pro users. I bought a lee 1000 Pro because of the great price in 9mm. I had some problems getting it set up and adjusted but I finely succeeded and have it producing good quality reloads. I decided to buy another Lee 1000 Pro for reloading 45 auto I also bought an extra turret and 40 S&W dies to use on the one set up for 9mm. Since it has the same shell plate and carrier as the 40S&W and switching from one to the other by changing the turret is just a matter of minutes. My problem is with reloading for the 40 S&W and the 45acp. I am not having the same success adjusting the dies as I had with the 9mm. The problem is with the factory crimp die I can't get it to crimp enough to get all of the finished loads in and out of a Wilson case gauge if I adjust it down to far it starts buckling the case. I have been running the loaded 40S&W and 45acp though a carbide crimp die setup in a single stage press that solves this problem. My question, is this a fault with the Lee 1000 Pro or me?
Old November 7, 2011, 12:15 PM   #9
Scimmia

How are you using an FCD with a Pro 1000? Sizing and priming on a single stage before hand? You really need a 4 station setup if you want to use the FCD and do everything progressive. For the rounds you're talking about, just crimp with the seating die and be done with it.

Edit: You're not trying to seat the bullet with the FCD, are you?

Last edited by Scimmia; November 7, 2011 at 03:29 PM.