The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 8, 2010, 08:30 PM   #1
jshaff49

Kurt jager ingraved gun

i received this gun from my father recently and have tried to get it appraised. Everywhere i have brought it has no idea where to start. Anything u can tell me about it would be a great help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (241.8 KB, 97 views)
Old December 8, 2010, 08:33 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

To me looks like a Bishop stock..not factory....I have one nearly like it on a Browning BBR.
Old December 8, 2010, 08:48 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Kurt Jaeger was a respected engraver and maybe gunsmith in Germany for many years after WW II. This is a fine looking sporting rifle in European style with some American influence like the white line spacers, white diamond inlays, and rubber recoil pad. The claw mount scope is a plus, too; so many of these have gotten separated from their rifles over the years and are pretty useless because the claw mounts are not standardized.
The carved stock is certainly not an inexpensive US made Bishop, sorry, Disco.

I won't guess a dollar value, but it is not cheap.
Why are you interested, going to sell Dad's rifle or just bragging?
Old December 9, 2010, 10:59 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

These Mausers show up from time to time, very hard to put a value on it. They're like the gun version of an American Octoberfest, not very close to the real thing. You can see you have typical German stiles mixed with "American only" features like the inlay. Normally a complete gun like that can bring up to 2k (need better pictures of the scope, action, caliber for exact estimate), but the mixture of styles will make it hard to find a buyer at that price.
PS. Found one that recently sold on Gunbroker, but as you can see it has much cleaner, classic German lines.

Last edited by mapsjanhere; December 9, 2010 at 11:19 AM.