The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 7, 2005, 04:35 PM   #1
chris in va

Federal Credit Union...

These considered Federal buildings (ie no carry zone)?
Old February 7, 2005, 04:42 PM   #2
Robert M Boren Sr

I wouldn't even think of going into any bank with a concealed gun. It isn't worth looseing it or your license to carry.
Old February 7, 2005, 05:10 PM   #3
Crimson Trace

I wouldn't even think of going into any bank without a concealed gun. It isn't worth losing your life.
(fixed it)

-Z
Old February 7, 2005, 05:57 PM   #4
Bullrock

I do all the time. All of the tellers at my bank know me and I haven't given it a thought, until this post.
Old February 7, 2005, 08:20 PM   #5
carebear

Not a federal building. Federally insured means nothing legally gun wise.

If it isn't illegal to carry into the bank per your state/local laws or if the bank isn't in a prohibited building, you are a-ok.
Old February 8, 2005, 12:18 AM   #6
Jungle Work

Banks

I carry in my local bank any time I go thru their front door. El No Problemo in Texas.

Jungle Work
Old February 8, 2005, 05:13 PM   #7
guntotin_fool

Federal in savings bank or credit union means that they have a federal charter, not owned or operated by the feds. My bank welcomes CCW holders. If I am collecting cash rents I am not walking into any building without my weapon. Ten K in cash makes you feel like you have a big target on you and a neon sign with an arrow screaming "rob me rob me!!"
Old February 8, 2005, 10:52 PM   #8
Rojoe67

My Credit Union findings......... (MI)

After contacting Michigan State Police in Lansing, Michigan I was told that only if a sign was posted no firearms or posting of that nature I was within the legal rights to carry concealed into a Community Credit Union. Now, let me tell you what and how I came to the point of contacting MSP in the first place.
I went into customer service office (manager) and informed her that I had all required documents and permits and have a valid CCW permit. I told her not to worry because I wasn't armed at that time. I asked her what this bank/credit union policy was....she stated well, I don't know sir. She had a real blank look on her face. So I asked her whom I should direct this issue with. She said the president of the credit union. She said she was sorry but he isn't here today. She took my name and number and said she would have him call me the next day. Well, as you would guess no call next day, then 3 more days passed and I called his office direct. I was put on hold for 5 minutes as I am sure his secretary informed him of me (the guy who want's to know his policy of CCW in his building) He came on and was rude and acted as if I upset his poker game. He said what do you want to carry in here for? and a few other general questions that I answered........ He then said well, no is always the answer at a bank......and he told me you know that's not only a state law but a federal law too..... I asked him what about off duty LEO's and said same goes for them......from there I knew what this guy was all about........BS..........so I then got the Michigan State Police on line and wrote them my question and a few days later I got the response I wrote of at the start of this story........ interesting....... I would strongly suggest each person that plans to carry double check all the laws before hand..... and for goodness sakes don't let anyone see your weapon while in there or the parking lot unless you want to see 3-4 police cars pull in and check your status......
Old February 8, 2005, 11:56 PM   #9
carebear

Or you could just read your state, local, and Federal laws and avoid antagonizing the natives.
Old February 9, 2005, 12:53 AM   #10
chris in va

Thanks for the info guys. Shouldn't be this way, but the word 'Federal' doesn't seem to jive well with 'CCW' and I just wanted to be sure.
Old February 9, 2005, 03:46 PM   #11
brickeyee

the VA code is online if you want to look up the exact law. In VA the prohibition on guns in banking houses contains an 'intention' clause. It is only illegal to carry a firearm into a bank if you intend to commit a crime.
Old February 9, 2005, 10:50 PM   #12
Model520Fan

I am not sure that I understand why anyone would ask a bank teller or a bank manager what CCW law is, unless the person asking was trying to find out whether that bank was one he wanted to do business with. It is all too often that even individual policemen don't know the law - the idea that bank personnel know about firearms laws is just about as ridiculous as one of the examples above indicates.

Lawyers and statutes are probably the best source for this sort of thing.
Old February 10, 2005, 12:05 AM   #13
RWK

"Federal Credit Unions" are NOT Federal buildings/facilities, nor are "Federal Banks" or "Federal Savings and Loans".