The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 8, 2001, 10:40 AM   #1
Jamie Young

Tell me about the MP44

Can you get these guns with out a Class III ? Are they select fire or just full auto?
Old July 9, 2001, 07:25 AM   #2
SDC

If you're thinking about the MP 43/Stg 44, then they are selective-fire and a Class III item. The MP 43 was renamed the "Sturmgewehr 44" after Hitler found that it had been put into production against his orders, but that the troops on the Eastern Front still couldn't get enough of them. These rifles have sort of a weird safety/selector system on them; the safety is a thumb-lever sort of like a modern H&K design, but the selector is a cross-bolt above the pistol-grip that's marked "E" ("ein", or "one") on one side, and "D" ("dauer", or "rapid") on the other.
Old July 9, 2001, 10:12 PM   #3
Byron

These are historically very interesting guns, being the first assault rifles. But ammo is a real problem. The caliber is 7.92x33 Kurz, which is very, very hard to come by and correspondingly expensive. Figure about a buck a round. This is the reason the guns are as cheap as they are, relatively speaking. You might find a nice one for under $10,000.
Old July 13, 2001, 05:23 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Do a search in this forum. There's a fellow who is working on making semi-auto only versions of this gun.
Old July 15, 2001, 02:42 AM   #5
Marko Kloos

Nobody loads 7.92mm Kurz commercially, so you won't find StG44 owners plinking a lot with their rifles. You can't reload the original German ammo either, because they're berdan-primed steel cases. Magazines for StG44's are also very expensive.

All in all, it's a cool rifle, though...it'd be worth to own one just for the historical value. The intermediate cartridge, select-fire rifle concept makes the StG44 is the grandfather of most modern military rifles. It is also the direct predecessor of the most successful battle rifle design of the 20th century...the AK-47. Also, it was the rifle that coined the term "assault rifle".

the munchkin wrangler.
Old July 16, 2001, 04:01 PM   #6
KSFreeman

All the above, except didn't Hitler give the term "sturmgewehr" to the weapon after learning about it in a conference with his Eastern Front generals?

The Federov and Parachute Hunter rifle were select fire, but used big Russian and 8mm resp., instead of "intermediate" round.
Old July 16, 2001, 05:27 PM   #7
Correia

KS, the Parachute rifle (Fg42) has got to be one of the coolest guns ever designed. If somebody would bring that back in the original 8mm I would be all over it! Think about it, it did everything that the M-14 did, only it was more controllable, over a decade earlier! Plus 8mm is dirt cheap right now. Or make a .308 version that took FAL mags and i would be in heaven.
Old July 17, 2001, 05:31 PM   #8
Jamie Young

Does anyone have a picture of that Parachute Model?
Old July 17, 2001, 11:48 PM   #9
Victor Romen

FG-42
http://securityarms2.com/20010315/ga...s/0300/389.htm

The magazine is inserted on the left side like a Sten gun and the magazine housing is above the grip area (front of the magazine being approximately lined up with the trigger).
Old July 18, 2001, 04:21 PM   #10
Jamie Young

That looks more like a Heavy Machine gun than an Assault Rifle. Is that thing big or does it just look big?
Old July 18, 2001, 05:00 PM   #11
KSFreeman

Depends on how you define "big." It's a little heavy perhaps by modern standard but you need the weight for full-auto 8mm.

I haven't shot one. Allen Kane was gracious enough to let me handle one three years ago. I think there are only 3 or 4 in the book (NFA dealers help me on this one).

Just yet another reason to abolish the NFA. It's inane, immoral and unconstitution and, by the way, interferes with Corriea and me legally buying what we want.