The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 26, 1999, 04:44 PM   #1
CRASH36

Hello gang;This is my first post here in the shotgun area, and MAN do i have a question. I have been shooting Trap and Scrap for about a year now, And my favorite Shotgun for this game is a High Standard Trap gun i picked up at a gun show for $275.00. I have found that when i load it "heavy", I dont have to guess at leads as much cuz when 1,1/8ths oz of #7.5 shot is buzzin along at 1496fps you dont leave much time for the bird to get away. This load is called a "feild load" by my loading manual, and not considred a "magnum" shell. It does set you back in your seat when you drop the hammer but it is very consistant and fast. I do much better with the faster loads, That is , Until last friday night.
I had just pulled the trigger on my 35th round in doubble trap and the bolt locked midway in the reciver and would not eject the spent shell. I took it to the local gunsmith who said that some parts in the slide carraige assembly were broken and for $130.00 he could fix it if he could find the parts.
I know there are some shotguns out there that are designated as "light load" guns, Is my High Standard not suppose to be able to handle heavy loads? Does anyone have any suggestions as what type of shotgun i should be using for such heavy, long range shooting? I love the HIgh Standard, And i also have a O/U Browning Citori w/30" ported barrels which i use for skeet but for some reason it fires the exact same shells 50-60fps slower than the High Standard. Whats UP with that? Mike

Old July 27, 1999, 08:29 PM   #2
GreybeardB

Crash,
Your Citori is probably back-bored(over bored) therefore, might chronograph slower.
I have two questions. Why do you handicap your skeet with 30in barrels. And have you patterned those super fast 1 1/8 oz loads at 40 yds?

------------------
Ralph in In.

Old July 28, 1999, 06:46 PM   #3
CRASH36

Ralph, I have not had the chance to do any pattern tests with any of my shotguns to this point. I Do plan on testing both shotguns in the very near future, And will test the Citori with many different loads and choke tubes. The Citori is only used for Skeet, And so far i have only used "light" loads (1200fps),=17.6g Clays, Windjammer wad, Winchester primer, 1 1/8oz #9 shot, AA shells. I'm not sure why i only use this gun for Skeet because it is a "Special Sporting Clays" shotgun, But i just seem to score better with it in Skeet.
I have never really thought much about my 30" barrels as being a "handicap" But i get your point. I suppose i would do better at close range Skeet shooting with a set of 26"ers, Or do the "Good" Skeet shooters use 28"? I am looking forward to my first complete round hitting all 25 targets but to this point i have always missed atleast one bird. Maybe i should invest in a shorter barrel soon, After i get my High Standard repaired. Mike

------------------
Old July 29, 1999, 04:45 PM   #4
GreybeardB

Crash,
If you can run 25's consistantly with 30 in. barrels.....go for it. But most good skeet shooters use 24 to 28 in. barrels. Most good trap shooters use 28 to 34 in. barrels. The target distance & angle ( amount of swing ) dictates proper barrel length. I think you will find through pattern testing that your Citori will make a much better trap gun.
I have a Citori Sporting Clays Special with 28 in. ported c/t barrels which I use exclusively for singles & handicap trap.
I don't shoot skeet any more.... lost vision in my shooting eye or sporting clays....too expensive.
I rigged a two bead sighting device on the right side of the barrels....I'm left handed, & have been shooting this year with it. My singles average is 95.3, which is about what it was three years ago when my left eye went bad.
By the way, I load a 1300 MV one ounce load that patterns super good in this Citori which is highly unusual for a fast load....all my other 12's pattern best with 1100 to 1140 MV. We're talking lead shot here, steel is another story.
Hope you get your HiStandard fixed o-k

Muzzle down- range or up, safety #1

------------------
Ralph in In.