The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 24, 2011, 08:40 PM   #1
gaseousclay

Bushnell Sportview 7x35 binoculars

So I found a nice, used pair of Bushnell Sportview binoculars today at the thrift store for $8 and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on them? at this point I might only use them for bird-watching but I know I may need some glass for hunting at some point. will these particular binoculars be suitable for hunting purposes or will I need some more powerful?
Old May 25, 2011, 10:12 AM   #2
GURU1911

Negative---you do not need anything more powerful for hunting purposes. If you do, the size of the optics would be so large & heavy, you would start to make excuses for not carrying them at all. I have had mine since the early 1970's & paid a lot more than $8.00--wow what find !!!!!

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old May 25, 2011, 08:12 PM   #3
gaseousclay

thanks, guru1911. may I ask what you paid for yours in the 70's? I tested them out today when I took the dog for a walk and they work great. I spotted some mallards on the lake by my house and they looked crystal clear
Old May 25, 2011, 10:28 PM   #4
GURU1911

MR. GAS

Wow that was almost 40 years ago & anything i say would be pure speculation. Possibly was around $20-25 dollars. In those days i made $1.25/hr at my job while attending college. I am now 60.

Bushnell products made during the 1970's were all top-notch stuff. Keep the lenses cleaned with alcohol & cotton swabs. Keep the protective covers on when not in use & enjoy your excellent find !!!

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old May 29, 2011, 05:27 PM   #5
big al hunter

I had that exact pair of binoculars in the late 80's. They performed well in the dry Idaho climate but fogged in the rain(inside the glass) in western Washington. After I moved I had to upgrade. I now have a pair of Vortex Diamondback 8x40 porro prism. Clear and no fog 4 years of rain and snow, mostly rain. Test yours out before hunting season to see if they fog internally. Nothing ruins a hunt more than not being able to see through the glass.
Old June 1, 2011, 07:24 AM   #6
PawPaw

Those were pretty good low-end binoculars back in the day. I had a pair in the late '70s and they worked fine for the purpose. As big al hunter said, make sure that they don't fog. Fogging will ruin a hunting trip.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old June 2, 2011, 06:42 AM   #7
22-rimfire

I also had a pair of those and they focused poorly which dated to the 80's. I don't use binocs often, but I was looking at some elk with those and I had to keep focusing and refocusing. Something wasn't right and my eyes got very tired quickly. I like the power for woods hunting or general scanning at distance. I later purchased some Nikon Monarch's (8x) which I like a lot more, and a pair of Leupould Yosemite (6x) which have become my go to woods and general use binocular. I keep them in my truck all the time. They are smaller and waterproof. I carry the Leupolds in canoes and kayaks for game watching.
Old June 2, 2011, 04:26 PM   #8
gaseousclay

thanks guys. I contacted Bushnell and they said these binoculars are from the 80's. either way, at $8 I can't complain. if they end up fogging in the rain then I won't feel so bad.