The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 26, 2016, 05:28 AM   #101
Sport45

There really shouldn't be any argument here since the question was purely about individual opinion.

For me, I'm comfortable with one handgun and whatever makes it "full". That used to be 5 rounds in my S&W 36. Lately it's been 6+1 in my Sig P290rs.

For those who feel the need to prepare for the far end of the bell curve I suggest you never drive without a 5-point harness, helmet and HANS device. I feel you're much more likely to get nailed by another driver than another gun owner. But then I've been wrong before.
Old June 26, 2016, 07:37 AM   #102
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I feel you're much more likely to get nailed by another driver than another gun owner.
That, or course, is irrelevant to the discussion.
Old June 26, 2016, 08:02 AM   #103
manta49

Quote:
The Law of Averages says 3 seconds, 3 feet, 3 shots.

The Law of Averages says you are unlikely to need a firearm, so why do you carry one. ?
Old June 26, 2016, 09:02 AM   #104
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
The Law of Averages says 3 seconds, 3 feet, 3 shots.
Well, that wouldn't be properly characterized as "the law of averages"; it is irrelevant; and it is most probably wrong.

Ever think to consider how far an assailant could move in three seconds?

Would you only shoot three shots under those circumstances?

Just one of those sayings that people seem to like to repeat.
Old June 26, 2016, 09:08 AM   #105
Sharkbite

Quote:
I feel you're much more likely to get nailed by another driver than another gun owner.
Quote:
The Law of Averages says you are unlikely to need a firearm, so why do you carry one.
I have NEVER been involved in a serious auto crash...i HAVE had to use a gun (mtpl times). So, i dont put much stock in "averages". Choosing instead proper preparation
Old June 26, 2016, 10:12 AM   #106
Toney

I've got 27rds on me, 14 loaded and 13 in extra mags.
Old June 26, 2016, 10:30 AM   #107
Overkill777

I agree with not counting on averages or betting on chance.

I used to carry a 5 shot j frame and feel pretty good. I didn't know too much about ballistics then and figured 1 or 2 chest hits would drop an attacker and if he had any buddies it would send them running leaving me with 3 more just in case.

Now I know that would be not very likely against a motivated attacker. It's easy to come up with these ideal self defense scenarios in your head. It's too bad if you find yourself in a self defense situation it will likely be nothing like you ever imagined.

I now go to the other side of the spectrum and try to think of the worst possible situation. What if there's multiple armed attackers? What if they are drugged up? What if there's mass looting going on?

I don't carry to prepare myself for the average day, I carry to prepare myself for the worst day of my life.

That's why I always carry at least one reload, and it's always a high capacity pistol unless I just can't conceal it or I'm in the woods and I'm more concerned about 4 legged predators.
Old June 27, 2016, 03:50 PM   #108
EnoughGUN

how many round

Reading this thread has made me reconsider alot of things. Its nice to hear well thought out notions from experienced people. Ill add I believe who you are, what you are doing and where you are play a big roll. Any time im armed it is purely an incase of unlikely trouble preventative measure. I cant remember when I have been somewhere that I felt there was a likely hood of danger. I am an over kill is just right type so if I knew I was going a place I would likely be in danger and had no choice but to go I would be armed to the teeth. Im not interested in a balanced fight. In real life situations I feel 5 or 7 rounds of 45 is good. Im not getting in a gun battle. If I do I have made several other serious mistakes beforehand but im also not in all the places and situations you all are. When I imagine a threat it is someone approaching my vehicle or threatening me and the wife when we are away from population like driving to or at a cabin etc. I feel this is like asking " what sort of car is enough" if you live in the right area a scooter could be fine but if you are constantly transporting valuables through Memphis at 3am a armored suburban with a mini gun on the roof is probably the minimum.
Old June 28, 2016, 05:09 PM   #109
P71pilot

When i carry, i carry the only pistol i have, which is my full size 1911. I carry a total of 2 7rd magazines, one in the pistol and one on my front left pocket. I feel that 14rds of .45acp is plenty enough for me
Old June 30, 2016, 01:15 PM   #110
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I feel 5 or 7 rounds of 45 is good. Im not getting in a gun battle. If I do I have made several other serious mistakes beforehand but im also not in all the places and situations you all are.

You're in the illusion that you get to make that call and have the time to evaluate things.
Old June 30, 2016, 02:33 PM   #111
mavracer

Quote:
You're in the illusion that you get to make that call and have the time to evaluate things.
You're not in control of where you go?

And not evaluating things before hand is one of those big mistakes he's talking about.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old June 30, 2016, 03:25 PM   #112
fastbolt

More capacity discussion. Not an uninteresting or unworthy topic, but not one that really resolves anything.

Sure, if some shooting incident ends up requiring more rounds than someone may be carrying, then it's a "problem". Is 6 enough? Is 18 enough? Is 46 enough? Is 120 enough?

On the other hand, it seems more likely that a lot of people are going to run out of time (to decide and/or act), or out of skill, before they run out of ammunition.

When there's a lull in the range activities, or during breaks in a training classroom, any number of spontaneous conversations can occur.

For lesser experienced and developing shooters it's often about calibers, brand names and types/quantities of gear.

Among instructors and more experienced shooters, it's more often about training, tactics and decision-making.

Personally, I'm more worried about not making that critical first shot quickly and accurately enough, than I am about having that 36th round available.

I'm also more concerned about missing my intended threat target and hitting an unintended target (PERSON), than I am about running out of ammunition.

I carry retirement CCW handguns that have cylinder or magazine capacities of 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 12 rounds. I carry a spare speedstrip/loader(s) or magazine(s) as I feel appropriate.

I train and practice to keep my skillset reasonably sharp (as instructor and shooter).

I don't give as much critical consideration to caliber, capacity or bullet designs as I did as a younger, less experienced and more enthusiastic shooter and instructor.
Old June 30, 2016, 08:48 PM   #113
K_Mac

Quote:
I'm also more concerned about missing my intended threat target and hitting an unintended target (PERSON), than I am about running out of ammunition.
What a great point! We don't talk much about the responsibility to account for every round fired. The consequences of firing the numbers of rounds being discussed here, even at the lower end, is sobering. It is hard to imagine firing dozens of rounds and not hitting something that should not be hit.
Old June 30, 2016, 09:34 PM   #114
jrothWA

minimum of two reloads, either Bianci SPeed-stripr , speedloader or

two mags.
Old July 1, 2016, 02:39 PM   #115
manta49

Quote:
Why not then carry plenty of ammo, and make sure to the the best of your ability not to hit an unintended target.

Last edited by manta49; July 1, 2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old July 2, 2016, 05:03 AM   #116
Brit

In reading all the posts here, it is a look into the thought patterns of a fairly large group.

I don't carry to prepare myself for the average day, I carry to prepare myself for the worst day of my life.

That statement impressed me. I never thought that myself, but it seems I think that way also.

So in absorbing all the comments, and again thinking of my own rational, I can not fault my Glock 19, (16 up) and a spare G17 magazine.

I have no problem in concealing this load out, and shoot the pistol real well.

A joke I read, you can only have too much ammunition on your person, if you are drowning, or on fire! Seems a little extreme, yes? But true.
Old July 2, 2016, 12:53 PM   #117
Glenn E. Meyer

A point - when you say carrying an extra mag or a higher capacity mag is silly (because the average blah, blah, blah) - aren't you just supporting things like the current CA ban.

Only gun nuts need them - sez the internet expert.
Old July 2, 2016, 02:51 PM   #118
K_Mac

Glenn, while I think understanding that we are accountable for every shot fired is important, I am not advocating any sort of limit on what anyone else carries. To imply saying that supports ridiculous gun control measures goes too far in my humble opinion. I don't give a rip if you carry a backpack full of loaded magazines with you at all times. Just don't fault me for carrying less.
Old July 2, 2016, 03:05 PM   #119
EnoughGUN

how many rounds

If you carry to prepare for the worst day of your life you would be carrying an FAL and body armor not a little pistol with a few extra rounds. You carry a "reasonable" amount of power and capacity for whatever threat you believe is reasonably possible.
Think of it as riding a motorcycle. I never planned on wrecking or thought is was likely but I knew an accident was reasonably possible so I wore an appropriate amount of protective gear such as a helmet, jacket and boots. I didn't wear all that plus armor, a hans device, medical kit and airbag equipped suit. Why not? More protection is better right? Because im preparing for what I feel could reasonably happen not the worst possible accident I could experience under the worst possible conditions.
Old July 2, 2016, 03:06 PM   #120
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
The consequences of firing the numbers of rounds being discussed here, even at the lower end, is sobering. It is hard to imagine firing dozens of rounds and not hitting something that should not be hit.
Yes, but the risk of hitting an unintended target is a function of a number of things other than the number of rounds fired, such as
  • how well the shots were controlled;
  • whether the shooter had, or moved to avail himself of, a backstop;
  • Whether the shooter moved to prevent firing in a direction with persons behind, or moving to a position behind, the target; and
  • whether the shooter moved to prevent hitting people between himself and the target.

One does not want to willfully fire more rounds than are necessary. That is situation-dependent. But one does not want to be unable to stop the attacker or attackers, either.

Dozens? Unlikely, for a civilian defender. Consider an attacker moving at five meters per second from a distance of perhaps a little longer than five meters away. Consider the time to move and draw. How much time will the defender have?

Enough, one would hope. One would likely fire three, four, or five shots as quickly as possible to have a realistic chance of hitting something critical in that moving target under the circumstances.

Add in a second attacker--as likely as not.

And consider that one does not want to end up with an empty firearm.

Having a dozen rounds at one's disposal is not at all unreasonable (I don't carry that many), but the likelihood of firing that many unlades one is a sworn officer is remote.
Old July 2, 2016, 06:10 PM   #121
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
To imply saying that supports ridiculous gun control measures goes too far in my humble opinion.
You missed my point. I say that when folks apply negative and perjorative terms to those who suggest carrying more, that plays into gun banning rhetoric.

Carry what you want. However, I certainly have seem the denunciations.
Old July 2, 2016, 07:06 PM   #122
K_Mac

Quote:
I say that when folks apply negative and perjorative terms to those who suggest carrying more, that plays into gun banning rhetoric.
Fair enough. I think we too often fall into the trap of being critical of those who don't quite see things the way we do. Heaven knows we don't need to add fuel to the anti-gun machine.
Old July 2, 2016, 07:11 PM   #123
Glenn E. Meyer

Yep, I regard it a version of the Zumbo effect. As far as the endless debate about where to choose the gun / ammo combo - If dress allows - it's a Glock 19 and an extra mag for me.

If it's pocket - a G42 or J frame and a reload.

I've decided that is a reasonable risk level. I hope I never have to test it.
Old July 3, 2016, 10:55 AM   #124
TheTechGuy

S&W 638
5 rounds .38plusP + an hks speed loader.

It''s very rare I carry the speed loader on my person. I usually keep it in the car as a just incase.

But if 5 rounds don't do it, I guess we'll find out the hard way. My thought process is if I am atleast carrying, I am doing 1 better already.
Old July 3, 2016, 12:01 PM   #125
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
But if 5 rounds don't do it, I guess we'll find out the hard way.
That's the way it works.

Quote:
My thought process is if I am atleast carrying, I am doing 1 better already.
Yep.

I carried a J-frame for some time. For some reason, I did not realize for some time that my eight shot 9mm is just a little thinner, an eighth of an inch higher, and just slightly longer. And a whole lot more shootable.