The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 6, 2012, 09:13 PM   #1
FlySubCompact

Copper plated OK in Glock barrel?

Looking for reloading components. I found a company called "Berry's Bullets" that sells pistol bullets. The description says they are copper plated. I know that Glock recommends the use of copper jacketed bullets instead of lead bullets. I wonder if Berry's copper plated ones would be OK.

I know there are Glock shooters who say "Been running my own homemade cast lead bullets for years in my Glock." But, I also read that a leaded stock Glock barrel can Kaboom. Especially after seeing the "pregnant guppy" cases my .40 cal Glock make, I don't want to push things.

Anyone here run these Berry's deals? Any leading?
Old July 6, 2012, 09:28 PM   #2
liscomb20

I run berrys 155 gr in my glock 23 with aa#5 granted I only loaded 250 rds so far but for me I think they are cleaner and more accurate than factory ammo and havent had any problems at all what else would you expect from a glock
Old July 6, 2012, 09:46 PM   #3
BDS-THR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySubCompact
Glock recommends the use of copper jacketed bullets instead of lead bullets.
Actually, Glock recommends that we don't shoot RELOADED ammunition (whether they are jacketed, plated, lead, etc.). With that said however, many reloaders have shot reloaded ammunition in their Glocks for decades ... along with many competition match shooters at regional, national and international matches.

Many reloaders don't recommend shooting lead bullets in factory Glock barrels due to longer leade (space bullet jumps from the chamber/case neck to the start of rifling) and smoother/rounded start of rifling. I do shoot lead loads in factory Glock barrels but they tend to build up fouling faster than traditional land/groove rifled barrels and require more frequent cleaning (around 200-300 rounds or so). If I am shooting a lot of lead loads, I use Lone Wolf aftermarket barrels with conventional land/groove rifling but that's me and YMMV.

As to Berry's plated bullets, they are rated to 1200 fps and as indicated by Berry's website, I have used start-to-mid range jacketed load data with good results. They also sell Thick Plated (TP) bullets rated to 1450 fps and I use jacketed load data with them. Unless you over crimp the bullet that cuts into the plating, you shouldn't experience problem with leading.

This is from Berry's FAQ page - http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q11-c1-...my_Glock_.aspx
Quote:
Can I shoot your plated bullets in my Glock?
Yes. We have a large contingent of loyal Glock shooters using our bullets. The plating is thick enough that you will not get lead fouling in your bore, which is the nemesis of polygonal barrels.
BTW, Powder Valley and TJ Conevera carry Berry's bullets at good prices.

Last edited by BDS-THR; July 6, 2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: added FAQ link
Old July 6, 2012, 10:39 PM   #4
FlySubCompact

Lipscomb,

Would like to hear back your results after you've ran several hundred of those though your pistol.

BDS THR,

Thanks for the details. I know Glock's product liability lawyers have more to do with recommendations than anything. It's that I think I can handload with better QC than some of the WWB factory ammo we've been plinking with. ( found two new .40sw rounds with deep dents in the casings....right out of the box.)

The main objective is being able to make safe, consistant practice ammo that I can hand my wife or daughter at the range. For starters, I will not exceed recommended reloading specs. Just looking for plinking fodder for the range. No hot stuff. Our protection ammo will always be good factory defense ammo. Later, I may try to reproduce some of the hotter 9mm NATO rounds because I like shooting that in my pistol, but not now. Just getting my feet wet.
Old July 7, 2012, 12:18 AM   #5
vladan

I have shot several thousands of berry's bullets in my g19 without any ill effect. I intended to use them in my g32 - .357sig but they did not do well at .357sig velocities, accuracy was not what i was looking for so i used them in 9mm and they was shooting just fine in that loading.
Old July 7, 2012, 08:30 AM   #6
David Bachelder

Yes, no problem.

No leading.
Old July 7, 2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Hammerhead

Plated bullets work great in my Glocks.
Old July 7, 2012, 02:19 PM   #8
FlySubCompact

Thanks for the feedback. A local reloader I talked to said he liked the Berry's bullets. I had concerns when I recalled that Glock advises to use jacketed bullets.
Old July 7, 2012, 05:14 PM   #9
arch308

I shoot reloads almost exclusively and have been using Berry's for my 9mm, 357, and 45 ACP. My Glocks like them and I have never expierenced any problems with them. At the price they are all I use any more for range work. I am waiting to try their new hollowpoints when they hit the market.
Old July 7, 2012, 05:23 PM   #10
DFrame

I've fired many thousands through a 40 glock. The copper plated Berry or Ranier bullet has been the ONLY bullet I've loaded for several years now in my 40s. I use the 155 grain bullets and love them.
Old July 7, 2012, 10:16 PM   #11
Marco Califo

I use Ranier in Glocks

I once had a squib. The real actual, squib: bullet stuck in barrel. My fault loading it.
But I was really amazed that after being driven more than half way through the barrel, and then being pounded out with a steel rod, the plating on the bullet was good as new.
I believe that at target velocity and probably even faster, plated are as good as jacketed.
Old July 8, 2012, 01:45 AM   #12
Mike-Mat

I shoot Berry's all the time. Cleaner than shooting Lead and cheaper than Jacketed. Just ordered 4000 of them for 9mm.

Mike
Old July 8, 2012, 09:07 AM   #13
WESHOOT2

many for Glock

Rainier 180g TCJ-FP

5.2g (start) Power Pistol (6.0g max; this charge averages 920fps from Glock 22/23)

CCI500

sized sorted clean cases

OAL 1.130" +/-.005"

No guessing.