The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2010, 10:05 PM   #1
Dre_sa

+p question

I figured this would be the best place to put this question since hand loading requires such attention to detail.

my question is this;

at what velocity does +p pressure level start when using a 230gr. projectile in 45 auto?

so basically how fast does a 230gr have to be going to be considered +p, when fired out of a .45 ACP?

reason I ask is I see on midway, that federal hydrashock 230gr. is listed at 900fps, and in the comments / reviews section, someone states that this load is not +p.
Old June 4, 2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Sevens

Plus-P isn't a speed, it's a state of mind!
Actually, it's a pressure. .45 Auto has a peak pressure of 21,000 PSI and when a cartridge is built to a max of 23,000 PSI, then it becomes a .45 Auto +P.

The truth is, you could see a bullet move even slower and still produce a +P pressure if you used the wrong powder.

Plus-P is a SAAMI standard and it's all about peak pressure to earn that designation. If you reach 28,500 PSI, that's a .45 Super.
Old June 5, 2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Dre_sa

I understand +p is a pressure level, but I was thinking that the combination of bullet weight and velocity could give an indication of pressure.

A certain weight bullet driven at a particular velocity gives a specific pressure. at least that was my impression.

so a 230gr at 900fps isn't +p, but its well above the "standard" vleocity of 830 fps, so i figured that the pressure level would be at least close to +p.

Am I thinking wrong? is it all dependent on powder type and how fast it burns? are weight and velocity no indication of pressure?
Old June 5, 2010, 03:11 PM   #4
ScottRiqui

Weight and velocity aren't a reliable indication of pressure. I just ran a correlation analysis on 23 loads from Lee's "Modern Reloading", using the recipes for 230 gr lead bullets. The correlation between pressure and speed was 0.58, which is a very poor correlation (1.00 would mean that they're perfectly correlated, while 0.00 would mean that one has no effect on the other.)

All that a value of 0.58 tells you is that the two variables are "positively correlated", meaning that in general, larger pressures are associated with higher velocities, but it's such a poor fit that you can't reliably use one to predict the other.
Old June 5, 2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Jim243

Quote:
is it all dependent on powder type and how fast it burns

That is almost correct. It also depends on the amount of space the powder has to burn in.

Jim
Old June 8, 2010, 03:46 PM   #6
ForneyRider

WARNING THESE ARE ALL MAX LOADS.

I do 5.3gr of W231 for ~850fps, but went up to 5.8gr W231 but SD and accuracy was bad.

I do 7.5gr PP for +P 230gr 45 ACP load and it is very consistent. I get about 950 fps. I've gone 1000fps through the chrony, but the slide slammed hard when cycled in my 1911.