The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 8, 2009, 01:31 AM   #1
silentstorm16

What is the best target to shoot at

Hey I'm curious what is the best targets to shoot at I will be shooting at ranges from 3yds interview stance out to 25 yards. But most shooting will be done at the 3yds to 7yd lines. Thanks.
Old January 8, 2009, 02:58 AM   #2
Sixer

Paper silhouettes are a good choice IMO. They're life size, cheap, and big enough to see where your missed shots are hitting.
Old January 8, 2009, 04:15 AM   #3
CWiley

Zombie targets!
Old January 8, 2009, 07:10 AM   #4
Nanuk

Osama Bin Laden is my first choice, especially when he is stealing my bacon.
Old January 8, 2009, 07:52 AM   #5
blume357

Just like the question I get all the time in my business:

"What's the best firewood to burn?"

the answer is.... "Free"

best you can do with targets is make your own....

100 page book of newprint paper (24x22) from Office depot about $10

yard stick and magic marker...
get fancy and also by the little 3/4" round inventory stick on labels in blue or black.... I think they cost about $10 for a thousand.

divide a page with lines into four section... 12x10.... place a round label in each box and in the middle and you just made 5 targets out of one page...

do the math and you'll see that this cost almost nothing.... about 1.5 cents for 5 targets I think.
Old January 8, 2009, 08:16 AM   #6
K.W.

3 - 7 yards? You donĀ“t need the gun. Use dagger or dart.
Old January 8, 2009, 08:28 AM   #7
TacticalDefense1911

I use black circles printed off from free target websites (www.targetz.com). I start "warming up" with 4" circles, then I move to 8" circles. By the end of the range session I usually shoot a few magazines at an IDPA style target. Shooting at small targets to start out will help you with your accuracy and target aquisition.
Old January 8, 2009, 10:35 AM   #8
10 Spot Terminator

Use "free printable targets" for your web search topic and enjoy the ride ( if you have a printer ) . If not bookmark the ones you like, find a friend who has a printer and get busy making a master copy for the ones you like. Go to an Office Max etc. outlet and duplicate for appx. $0.12 each
Old January 8, 2009, 10:38 AM   #9
Freeman1952

Location: People's Republik of Maryland; "We don't need no Second Amendment"
Best targets

I use paper plates from Wallymart. They are cheap and available in different colors and diameters. If there is no hole in the plate, I missed. I don't care how far I missed. If I can keep all the shots in the middle of the plate I feel I have done well. Smaller plates help me dial in. Crude, but effective.
Old January 8, 2009, 10:47 AM   #10
Ranger325

+1 on paperplates. I go to the 'Dollar Store'.....................

Regards,
Old January 8, 2009, 11:06 AM   #11
kwhi43

Asprin Tablets
Old January 8, 2009, 12:08 PM   #12
Starcheck55

Quote:
Asprin Tablets
well played
Old January 8, 2009, 12:10 PM   #13
Smallgame2100

Paper plate pinned to an old stump or tree.
Old January 8, 2009, 12:16 PM   #14
racin_randy

the moving ones with there laundry wrapped around there head... LOL
Old January 8, 2009, 12:32 PM   #15
Sneezer

I bought my own stands and some steel, plus I have a great range with no one around.
Old January 8, 2009, 12:33 PM   #16
csmsss

Tax collectors.
Old January 8, 2009, 12:33 PM   #17
oldkim

+2+ on cheap, on sale, paper plates.

Forget the fancy black bullseye targets. Don't waste your money and time. Even at 7 yards (21 ft) with a 9mm depending on your backstop you won't be able to clearly make out where you just shot.

Remember shooting is about many things but hitting the target is the main principle, right? - well if you shoot and don't really know where you just shot? You'll never be consistent and be able to hone your precision shooting skills. Might as well turn off the lights or close your eyes and blast away(please don't do this).

Yes, later when you are very proficient and know what the heck you are doing then move to targets with a "big black circle."

For the money and especially for people new or wanting to improve their shooting ability - shoot at a blank target - be it a piece of paper, a paper plate anything but....

Remember shooting is about practice and practice and practice. Make sure you're having fun and when your scoring dead center - now that's a lot more enjoyable.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old January 8, 2009, 12:38 PM   #18
Hammerhead

Paper plates.

The plain white background forces me to concentrate on the front sight. I shoot better groups at 25 yards with plates than I do with traditional paper targets.
Old January 8, 2009, 12:38 PM   #19
oneounceload

The best targets to shoot at are the ones that don't shoot back.

If you have access to a copy machine, make one or two "master" copies, then run them off - will usually be cheaper than downloading and using printer ink
Old January 8, 2009, 02:32 PM   #20
longranger

Bad guys
Old January 8, 2009, 02:48 PM   #21
Kreyzhorse

I think there is even a sticky post floating somewhere in this forum with links to lots of online targets.
A printer and a copier and you are good to go.
Old January 8, 2009, 04:30 PM   #22
btolliverjr

Quote:
Remember shooting is about many things but hitting the target is the main principle, right? - well if you shoot and don't really know where you just shot? You'll never be consistent and be able to hone your precision shooting skills. Might as well turn off the lights or close your eyes and blast away(please don't do this).

Yes, later when you are very proficient and know what the heck you are doing then move to targets with a "big black circle."

For the money and especially for people new or wanting to improve their shooting ability - shoot at a blank target - be it a piece of paper, a paper plate anything but....

Remember shooting is about practice and practice and practice. Make sure you're having fun and when your scoring dead center - now that's a lot more enjoyable.
Paper plates are great targets, but shouldn't you have a dot of some type in the center as a central consistent point of aim? an 8" paper plate is a pretty big target. I like to have something specific to aim at. I don't think you will be able to consistently be able to "score dead center" without a consistent aiming point.
Old January 8, 2009, 04:52 PM   #23
MrBorland

Quote:
Quote:
Paper plates are great targets, but shouldn't you have a dot of some type in the center as a central consistent point of aim? an 8" paper plate is a pretty big target. I like to have something specific to aim at. I don't think you will be able to consistently be able to "score dead center" without a consistent aiming point.
Well, I can't speak for oldkim, but what he may be eluding to is that , ironically enough, shooting at a non-target, such as a big piece of white paper (ought to be bigger than a plain plate, though) or even just into a berm, can be a great training aid. When taking precise aim out of the equation, a shooter is often able to focus on the front sight better or relax enough to not flinch. They just smoothly pull the trigger. Said another way, when a shooter's thinking about aiming, they're often tensing, jerking the trigger, flinching, and/or not focusing on the front sight.
Old January 8, 2009, 05:11 PM   #24
sserdlihc

Quarters at 100 yards...shoot n c targets at 25 yards.
Old January 8, 2009, 05:53 PM   #25
Sixer

We went out to an old landfill in KS near my grandparent's house over the holidays. They call it a "landfill" but it's basically just wide open field with a pond.

Anyway, we found a pile of old glass bottles and set them out about 20yrds or so. There were more misses than hits, but the glass breaking is much more satisfying than punching holes in paper.
Closed Thread